• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future Schedules shaping out, UF still the nation's coward

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Please show me how Arkansas or South Carolina bring in more money.  Neither has as much of a national following, as many tv games(extra revenue for the conference), BCS or bowl alliance bowl appearances or anything of that sort.

From 1991-2000, FSU has been in the top 5 for the final polls and 2 national titles.  Even from 1987-1990, when FSU was an independent, they were top 5.

In 1987, 1988(pre expansion), 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 the SEC sent 1 team to the BCS/alliance.  FSU also ended up in a major bowl game too not including their top poll finishes.  While it's only speculation, they feasibly could have been a 2nd bowl team for the SEC.

Arkansas has been to 9 bowl games since joining the SEC.  They went to a major bowl in 1988(Cotton Bowl was part of the big 4 then).  They have been to the Capital One and Cotton since, but no BCS bowls.

South Carolina has been to 5 bowl games since joining the SEC.  The closest to major they got was the Outback Bowl.

Florida State has been to 17 bowl games since joining the ACC.  They have been to 13 major(BCS/alliance) bowl games winning 7 of them.

You do the math.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If I was FSU and I got turned down for that long, I'd look elsewhere.

That's fine. But at the end of the day, it's FSU's fault for not joining the SEC.

And I don't recall FSU doing the "we're not joining the SEC because they didn't invite us 20 years ago." It was pretty straight forward, Bowden overruled the decision, and he's pretty much the athletic department at FSU.

FSU made BCS and bowl alliance bowls based on high record and not just being a conference champ.  They were good enough to be that high.  If in the SEC, the revenue would have then gone to the SEC.

What revenue? The SEC has sent 1 or 2 teams every year to the Bowl Alliance or BCS. How much more do you think FSU would bring in to a conference already sending more teams to bowls filling the stadiums, etc?

South Carolina hasn't even come close to that.

On the field, nope, but they still bring in more money than FSU every year and thats always a major factor... especially when your conference isn't lacking "on the field"

Arkansas has a bball title in their defense, but football titles are worth more and FSU has 2 in the 1990s.  We can only speculate if they would have been able to get them with the SEC schedule.

I agree that football titles are worth more, but at the end of the day, Arkansas is bringing in more money too.

But it's an academic argument. FSU COULD have joined the SEC, they chose not to simply because Bowden felt that they couldn't compete week. No amount of revisionist history is going to change that.

Your last line alone shows how unfamiliar you are with UCF fan.  They are by far the most delusional fan base I've ever seen. 

If I was FSU and I got turned down for that long, I'd look elsewhere.

That's fine. But at the end of the day, it's FSU's fault for not joining the SEC.

And I don't recall FSU doing the "we're not joining the SEC because they didn't invite us 20 years ago." It was pretty straight forward, Bowden overruled the decision, and he's pretty much the athletic department at FSU.

FSU made BCS and bowl alliance bowls based on high record and not just being a conference champ.  They were good enough to be that high.  If in the SEC, the revenue would have then gone to the SEC.

What revenue? The SEC has sent 1 or 2 teams every year to the Bowl Alliance or BCS. How much more do you think FSU would bring in to a conference already sending more teams to bowls filling the stadiums, etc?

South Carolina hasn't even come close to that.

On the field, nope, but they still bring in more money than FSU every year and thats always a major factor... especially when your conference isn't lacking "on the field"

Arkansas has a bball title in their defense, but football titles are worth more and FSU has 2 in the 1990s.  We can only speculate if they would have been able to get them with the SEC schedule.

I agree that football titles are worth more, but at the end of the day, Arkansas is bringing in more money too.

But it's an academic argument. FSU COULD have joined the SEC, they chose not to simply because Bowden felt that they couldn't compete week. No amount of revisionist history is going to change that.

Your last line alone shows how unfamiliar you are with UCF fan.  They are by far the most delusional fan base I've ever seen. 

You sir need to go meet some Miami Dolphins fans.  They by far take the cake.  Dolphin fans don't see reality.  When they were 0-7, people were calling in saying how they could still win 9 in a row and make the playoffs...and they honestly believed it.  Now, I will admit some fans for any school, mine included, can be a little overly optimistic, but I don't think anyone here at 0-5 in the college ranks would honestly think they would make a bowl.

Dozer, you might like generalizing UCF fans incorrectly, but I do resent it.

• Content Count:  130

Please show me how Arkansas or South Carolina bring in more money.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/main.asp

South Carolina

Total Athletic Revenue: $60.5 Million

Football Revenue: $41.3 Million

Arkansas

Total Athletic Revenue: $63.3 Million

Football Revenue: $42.0 Million

Florida State

Total Athletic Revenue: $42.2 Million

Football Revenue: $17.5 Million

Neither has as much of a national following, as many tv games(extra revenue for the conference), BCS or bowl alliance bowl appearances or anything of that sort.

Neither has much of a following? You're kidding right? South Carolina is world famous for fan loyalty... filling their stadium, even during losing seasons. Arkansas has amazing facilities too.

The revenue is proof of that.

From 1991-2000, FSU has been in the top 5 for the final polls and 2 national titles.  Even from 1987-1990, when FSU was an independent, they were top 5.

In 1987, 1988(pre expansion), 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 the SEC sent 1 team to the BCS/alliance.  FSU also ended up in a major bowl game too not including their top poll finishes.  While it's only speculation, they feasibly could have been a 2nd bowl team for the SEC.

The bowl alliance didn't start until 1995.

Still, from 1995 to the present (13 seasons), the SEC has had an at large team in a BCS bowl in 6 of those 13 games and has sent 6 different schools to those bowls. These are all great stats you've posted, because they underline the main point:

This is why FSU was afraid to join the SEC.

Arkansas has been to 9 bowl games since joining the SEC.  They went to a major bowl in 1988(Cotton Bowl was part of the big 4 then).  They have been to the Capital One and Cotton since, but no BCS bowls.

South Carolina has been to 5 bowl games since joining the SEC.  The closest to major they got was the Outback Bowl.

Florida State has been to 17 bowl games since joining the ACC.  They have been to 13 major(BCS/alliance) bowl games winning 7 of them.

You do the math.

The math is pretty obvious.

SEC - much better conference than ACC

FSU - decided not to join the SEC because the conference was too difficult

and...

USC and Arkansas - bring in significantly more revenue despite not having the winning tradition of FSU (though this is a side point, as they weren't invited until AFTER FSU chose not to join)

South Carolina

Arkansas

Florida State

Neither has as much of a national following, as many tv games(extra revenue for the conference), BCS or bowl alliance bowl appearances or anything of that sort.

Neither has much of a following? You're kidding right? South Carolina is world famous for fan loyalty... filling their stadium, even during losing seasons. Arkansas has amazing facilities too.

Still, from 1995 to the present (13 seasons), the SEC has had an at large team in a BCS bowl in 6 of those 13 games and has sent 6 different schools to those bowls. These are all great stats you've posted, because they underline the main point:

You do the math.

and...

USC and Arkansas - bring in significantly more revenue despite not having the winning tradition of FSU (though this is a side point, as they weren't invited until AFTER FSU chose not to join)

Does this include bowl money?  The SEC makes much more bowl money as a whole than the ACC.

• Content Count:  130

South Carolina

Arkansas

Florida State

You do the math.

and...

Does this include bowl money?  The SEC makes much more bowl money as a whole than the ACC.

That should include everything. The ACC actually pays out a little more to each member than the SEC does, because the SEC spends more at the conference level.

http://blog.al.com/bn/2008/02/show_me_the_money_division_i_a.html?appSession=3224406526684

http://blog.al.com/bn/2008/02/show_me_the_money_division_i_a.html?appSession=3404406531113

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I heard UF dropped and broke their BCS trophy while running away from playing a respectable OOC schedule.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

one has to respect uf's success

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

You do the math.

Math done.

From Forbes.com

The Most Valuable College Football Teams

November, 11, 2007

1.University of Notre Dame, Fighting Irish

Value: $101 million

Profit: $45.8 million

Notre Dame's football program contributed $21.1 million to the university's academic programs last season, far more than any other college football team

2. University of Texas, Longhorns

Value: $92 million

Profit: $46.2 million

University of Texas athletics earns $12 million annually from premium seating, a number that will rise with the addition of 44 luxury suites and 2,000 club seats in their stadium before kick-off next season.

3. University of Georgia, Bulldogs

Value: $90 million

Profit: $43.5 million

Georgia's $60.3 million in football revenue last season was the highest in the Southeastern Conference.

4. University of Michigan, Wolverines

Value: $85 million

Profit: $36.2 million

Michigan will add 83 luxury suites and 3,200 club seats to "the big house" next year at a cost of $226 million.

5.University of Florida, Gators

Value: $84 million

Profit: $38.2 million

The Gators' football revenue increased by $11 million, to $58.9 million, during their national-title season last year.

6. Louisiana State University, Tigers

Value: $76 million

Profit: $31.7 million

The addition of an eighth home game helped LSU's value increase 11% in one year.

7.University of Tennessee, Volunteers

Value: $74 million

Profit: $17.3* million

Four stadium renovation projects in 10 years added more than 10,000 seats and 78 suites to historic Neyland Stadium

8.Auburn University, Tigers

Value: $73 million

Profit: $33.9 million

Over the course of a season, Tigers home games result in an estimated $50 million of incremental spending in Lee County, Ala.

9.University of Alabama, Crimson Tide

Value: $72 million

Profit: $31.8 million

Saban's $4 million average annual salary is highest in college football history, but still $500,000 less than he would have made if he remained with the NFL's Miami Dolphins.

10.Ohio State University, Buckeyes

Value: $71 million

Profit: $26.6 million

At $59.1 million, the Buckeyes were first among BigTen teams in revenue last season, but, dubiously, also led all of college football in expenses. The Ohio State Athletic Department spent $32.5 million on football, 71% of which happened on game days.

11. University of Oklahoma, Sooners

Value: $70 million

Profit: $18.5 million

The Sooners are reaping the rewards of increased revenue attributable to a 2004 renovation to the Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial stadium, which added 27 suites and 2,500 club seats

12. University of South Carolina, Gamecocks

Value: $69 million

Profit: $28.9 million

South Carolina's value increased 22% over the course of the last year, more than any other team in the top 20.

13.Pennsylvania State University, Nittany Lions

Value: $69 million

Profit: $29.4 million

The Nittany Lions sell out their stadium, which is the second-largest in the country, every game.

14. University of Southern California, Trojans

Value: $53 million

Profit: $13 million

The most valuable program in the Pacific 10, USC has seen a 7% increase in team value over the past year.

15. University of Arkansas,

Value: $53 million

Profit: $19.3 million

Conference: SEC

Head Coach: Houston Nutt

Each Razorback home game results in $7.3 million of incremental spending throughout the county

16. Texas A&M

Value: $50 million

Profit: $20.5 million

Conference: Big 12

Head Coach: Dennis Franchione

Texas A&M projects $9.5 million in broadcast revenue next season.

17. University of Washington

Value: $50 million

Profit: $19.9 million

Conference: Pac 10

Head Coach: Tyrone Willingham

Athletic Director Todd Turner is lobbying for support of an expansion to Husky Stadium, as well as the creation of a new "Huskies Athletic Village."

18. University of Nebraska

Value: $49 million

Profit: $12.4 million

Conference: Big 12

Head Coach: Bill Callahan

Callahan, who once led the Raiders to the Super Bowl, has refused to step down at Nebraska despite being asked to do so by university officials.

19. Michigan state

Value: $44 million

Profit: $18.3 million

Conference: BigTen

Head Coach: Mark Dantonio

Michigan State plans to increase contributions to academics as a result of revenue from the recently launched BigTen Network.

20. University of Wisconsin

Value: $43 million

Profit: $14.3 million

Conference: BigTen

Head Coach: Bret Bielema

Wisconsin fell five spots in the rankings owing to a $7.6 million drop in football profit since last year.

Where is Florida State?

Not in the Top 20.

You are failing to take into account the changes each school would have had by being in a different conference.  You are spouting off numbers based on what already happened.  You cannot prove that FSU couldn't be top 20 if they ended up in the SEC.  Combine their football/baseball success with 15+ years in the SEC and they could easily be top 20.

Archived