• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future Schedules shaping out, UF still the nation's coward

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

It's Floroida's fault FSU is an OOC game.  Florida State tried for decades to get in the SEC and were always told no.  Come 1991, they finally offered but the damage was done and FSU went elsewhere.

You mention playing Miami 2/4 years.  What about the other two?  Do those years not count?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

You seem a lil to obsessed about Florida's OOC schedule. Have you tried measuring their OVERALL schedule?

I wont even gripe about you posting it in a predominantly USF board if the gator guy debates you

• Content Count:  130

It's Floroida's fault FSU is an OOC game.  Florida State tried for decades to get in the SEC and were always told no.  Come 1991, they finally offered but the damage was done and FSU went elsewhere.

Wow... that's sad. So now it's Florida's fault that Bowden was afraid to play an SEC schedule?

Bowden on his desired competition:

"The only bad thing is to be in a conference that good [sEC]. I like to pick those guys that aren't ranked, like George Foreman. He's out there knocking those guys out in two rounds who don't have a name, and he's going to be fighting for a heavyweight championship as soon as they can get him in there."

-Orlando Sentinel, 8/6/90, pg. D5

Bowden on SEC competition:

"Look at any conference: It's two schools and the others. Michigan, Ohio State and the others. USC, UCLA and the others. But the SEC has six teams that can win the thing. That might be a negative rather than a plus....Our jump into the big time came in the last 10 years. We've really made strides. It's come because we beat Nebraska, we beat Ohio State, we beat Notre Dame, we beat Pitt. Those are the kind of people we want to play. I don't know if we can play those people in the SEC."

-St. Petersburg Times, 9/17/90, pg. 10C

You mention playing Miami 2/4 years.  What about the other two?  Do those years not count?

LOL. All 12 games count, that's what you seem to be missing.

I'm not missing it.  I'm still waiting for a valid reason why UF feels they are exempt from helping college football get better by promoting inter-regional matchups.  Florida State doesn't cut it.  They could add a game even now with FSU being down.  The provlem is that they won't travel.

And while Bowden did say those things, it was after FSU tried for decades to get in.  The SEC could have brought them in anytime before but they chose not to and it was too late wheb they did extend the invite(what I originally said).

• Content Count:  5,241

I'm not missing it.  I'm still waiting for a valid reason why UF feels they are exempt from helping college football get better by promoting inter-regional matchups.  Florida State doesn't cut it.  They could add a game even now with FSU being down.  The provlem is that they won't travel.

And while Bowden did say those things, it was after FSU tried for decades to get in.  The SEC could have brought them in anytime before but they chose not to and it was too late wheb they did extend the invite(what I originally said).

They arent exempt, theyre in the  sec. The only way to actually make college football better is get it a legitimate system to determine a championship (aka playoffs).  Inter-regional matchups arent that important in comparison.

I'm not missing it.  I'm still waiting for a valid reason why UF feels they are exempt from helping college football get better by promoting inter-regional matchups. Florida State doesn't cut it.  They could add a game even now with FSU being down.  The provlem is that they won't travel.

I think it's pretty clear. Florida already plays a very difficult schedule. You are definitely missing that very important part... intentionally or not.

Just keep regurgitating that excuse, so that it can't possibly be FSU's fault for not joining the SEC.

FSU wanted in when the SEC had no room for a new member. It's not as if the SEC overlooked them for membership and picked someone else.

Let's look at this another way...

O'Leary wants in the SEC, but:

1) The SEC has no room for UCF.

2) UCF isn't ready to join the SEC (It could happen very quickly with the new stadium and talent in Florida, but right now, they aren't there).

In 10 years, if there's a spot for UCF and the head coach at the time says, "Nope, we don't want to join the SEC because it's too hard" are you going to do the same thing and blame the SEC for it?

Well, you probably will.

Wrong.  FSU and Memphis State pushed for membership for almost the same time period.  They could have expanded then.  Eventually, they brought in Arkansas and South Carolina, which was a step back at the time.  In othert words, they had every opportunity.  When FSU made the national headlines is when the SEC came calling.

Wrong.  FSU and Memphis State pushed for membership for almost the same time period.  They could have expanded then.

But why? A 10 team conference was pretty much the max size and they played 6 game conference schedules.

It didn't make sense to expand at the time. No one was doing it.

There were several schools who wanted to join the SEC, but they weren't going to expand because expanding was a losing proposition at the time.

Once the NCAA allowed the conference championship game for 12 teams did it become logical for everyone to expand to that point.

Eventually, they brought in Arkansas and South Carolina, which was a step back at the time.  In othert words, they had every opportunity.When FSU made the national headlines is when the SEC came calling.

They invited Arkansas and South Carolina AFTER FSU turned down the invite.

sigh

Also, it's debatable if it was a step back.

Both South Carolina and Arkansas bring in significantly more revenue than FSU does.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to Bowden wanting the easier schedule. They had "every opportunity" to join the SEC when the conference expanded, and they balked.

Wrong.  FSU and Memphis State pushed for membership for almost the same time period.  They could have expanded then.

But why? A 10 team conference was pretty much the max size and they played 6 game conference schedules.

It didn't make sense to expand at the time. No one was doing it.

There were several schools who wanted to join the SEC, but they weren't going to expand because expanding was a losing proposition at the time.

Once the NCAA allowed the conference championship game for 12 teams did it become logical for everyone to expand to that point.

Eventually, they brought in Arkansas and South Carolina, which was a step back at the time.  In othert words, they had every opportunity.When FSU made the national headlines is when the SEC came calling.

They invited Arkansas and South Carolina AFTER FSU turned down the invite.

sigh

Also, it's debatable if it was a step back.

Both South Carolina and Arkansas bring in significantly more revenue than FSU does.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to Bowden wanting the easier schedule. They had "every opportunity" to join the SEC when the conference expanded, and they balked.

If I was FSU and I got turned down for that long, I'd look elsewhere.

FSU made BCS and bowl alliance bowls based on high record and not just being a conference champ.  They were good enough to be that high.  If in the SEC, the revenue would have then gone to the SEC.  South Carolina hasn't even come close to that.  Arkansas has a bball title in their defense, but football titles are worth more and FSU has 2 in the 1990s.  We can only speculate if they would have been able to get them with the SEC schedule.

If I was FSU and I got turned down for that long, I'd look elsewhere.

That's fine. But at the end of the day, it's FSU's fault for not joining the SEC.

And I don't recall FSU doing the "we're not joining the SEC because they didn't invite us 20 years ago." It was pretty straight forward, Bowden overruled the decision, and he's pretty much the athletic department at FSU.

FSU made BCS and bowl alliance bowls based on high record and not just being a conference champ.  They were good enough to be that high.  If in the SEC, the revenue would have then gone to the SEC.

What revenue? The SEC has sent 1 or 2 teams every year to the Bowl Alliance or BCS. How much more do you think FSU would bring in to a conference already sending more teams to bowls filling the stadiums, etc?

South Carolina hasn't even come close to that.

On the field, nope, but they still bring in more money than FSU every year and thats always a major factor... especially when your conference isn't lacking "on the field"

Arkansas has a bball title in their defense, but football titles are worth more and FSU has 2 in the 1990s.  We can only speculate if they would have been able to get them with the SEC schedule.

I agree that football titles are worth more, but at the end of the day, Arkansas is bringing in more money too.

But it's an academic argument. FSU COULD have joined the SEC, they chose not to simply because Bowden felt that they couldn't compete week. No amount of revisionist history is going to change that.

Archived