• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS for $288 Million

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Stadium (concrete/steel/labor/materials, etc...) costs are only going up.

Not so in this market, with the housing slow-down, the run-up on materials is over...too bad we can't put a branch campus out here.

If this 50,000 seat stadium at 2006-2007 prices cost $288 Million....imagine what a 50,000-60,000 seat stadium might cost come 2018-2023 when USF's next lease at RJS runs out?

(Hint: It won't be cheap)

Oh the horror.  A can of coke will cost more too.  There is no need to rush into a Frying Pan arrangement just to beat typical inflation.  It's like the old ladies getting botox to put off aging.  Everyone knows they're going to get older (why act stupid), just as economists and financial people at USF know about inlfation/time value of money, etc. 

UCF HAD TO rush into the Pan.  They were shutting down the Citrus Bowl.  don't try to make it look like an intelligent decision, it was a forced decision.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how whenever someone brings up a stadium, the trusty tinmen arrive to tell us what a great plan it would be to build something like the Frying Pan and watch it grow (water fountains included) into something like Doak Campbell or now Bryant-Denny.  This is clearly done to bolster confidence in their having to build the Pan in order to have a place to play while the Citrus Bowl was closed for renovations.  You're not experts, you've got to add something besides water fountains to be experts.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

As we would be financing our stadium, inflation would actually be an arguement for building now. Build now with cheaper supplies at a cheaper price and then pay for that structure with money that will be worth a fraction of the buying power for which it was used.

Stadium (concrete/steel/labor/materials, etc...) costs are only going up.

Not so in this market, with the housing slow-down, the run-up on materials is over...too bad we can't put a branch campus out here.

If this 50,000 seat stadium at 2006-2007 prices cost $288 Million....imagine what a 50,000-60,000 seat stadium might cost come 2018-2023 when USF's next lease at RJS runs out?

(Hint: It won't be cheap)

Oh the horror.  A can of coke will cost more too.  There is no need to rush into a Frying Pan arrangement just to beat typical inflation.  It's like the old ladies getting botox to put off aging.  Everyone knows they're going to get older (why act stupid), just as economists and financial people at USF know about inlfation/time value of money, etc. 

UCF HAD TO rush into the Pan.  They were shutting down the Citrus Bowl.  don't try to make it look like an intelligent decision, it was a forced decision.

Inflation must be considered in the financial mix, but in no way would be a prevailing factor.  Plus, as I said, the materials are what matter.  Inflation is a given - it happens as do changes in the value of the dollar.  UCF's decision to build a stadium had nothing to do with inflation.  I'm not buying a new car today because I know it will cost $2000 in 2011.  Revenue streams are much more important than inflation.  It's a safe bet to say our revenue will increase over the next decade much faster than the cost of materials will rise.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Funny how whenever someone brings up a stadium, the trusty tinmen arrive to tell us what a great plan it would be to build something like the Frying Pan and watch it grow (water fountains included) into something like Doak Campbell or now Bryant-Denny.  This is clearly done to bolster confidence in their having to build the Pan in order to have a place to play while the Citrus Bowl was closed for renovations.  You're not experts, you've got to add something besides water fountains to be experts.

Let's be fair here, it's usually not tinMEN, it's just one tinMAN who tries so desperately to make is jealous of the BHNFP...

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Agreed, the swamp is not that great (compared to an NFL or larger Collegiate stadium).  

If we do a new stadium, would want us to wait until we could do it right rather than compromise...

Life is a compromise.  

For example, you can build it now with "no compromises" and it could cost 1.5 billion like the Cowboys or you could build one "with compromises" ala Minnesota for 288 million.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

As we would be financing our stadium, inflation would actually be an arguement for building now. Build now with cheaper supplies at a cheaper price and then pay for that structure with money that will be worth a fraction of the buying power for which it was used.

Sounds like common sense.

Mean one can continue to IMPROVE a stadium through the years/decades to come?

Sounds logical to me.

Sounds logical to me.

Of course it does!  :ROFLMAO

You're one year into a new stadium at UCF and you're talking improvements because you know you got in bare bones.  For crying out loud, they're banning music there for fear of long term structural damage?  Right?  Your zealous belief in building the Pan and adding water fountains later is fine, but some don't take to that kind of nonsense.  There is nothing wrong with doing it right the first time.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Sounds logical to me.

Of course it does!  :ROFLMAO

You're one year into a new stadium at UCF and you're talking improvements because you know you got in bare bones.  For crying out loud, they're banning music there for fear of long term structural damage?  Right?  Your zealous belief in building the Pan and adding water fountains later is fine, but some don't take to that kind of nonsense.  There is nothing wrong with doing it right the first time.

...especially when you are playing in a premium NFL stadium. If we were in a place like the Citrus Bowl, I think we would all be ready for an OCS. Since we aren't, and other than this whole ACC thing that still seems like a BE trying to stick it to the ACC more than USF vs TSA to me, Ray Jay has been a good place for us to play. You can talk atmosphere all you want, but I don't think it gets any better than our WVU game last year.

• Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

I am not saying that it did but if we say that, "It does not matter that a stadium is going to cost $X in 10 years because money will only be worth Y%", than that is not a strong arguement. The reason I say this is because if we agree to the assumption that there will be inflation of our money as well as of stadium cost, that means everything will not come out in the wash. We will be losing the chance to buy a stadium at the cheaper price and than pay for the stadium with the less valuable money, (if we stick to this assumption) we would therefore experience a genuine loss. I know there are plenty of arguements for and against building a stadium but inflation, in my opinion, is an arguement for building now.

Inflation must be considered in the financial mix, but in no way would be a prevailing factor.  Plus, as I said, the materials are what matter.  Inflation is a given - it happens as do changes in the value of the dollar.  UCF's decision to build a stadium had nothing to do with inflation.  I'm not buying a new car today because I know it will cost $2000 in 2011.  Revenue streams are much more important than inflation.  It's a safe bet to say our revenue will increase over the next decade much faster than the cost of materials will rise.

Archived