• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS for $288 Million

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Question...since USF does not have earn any Suite sales/leasing/signage/concessions/parking, etc...at RJS on your game days...by playing at RJS for the next 10-15 with the upcoming new stadium contract...will that give USF the "excess" funds to build a $500 Million plus stadium in 2018 or 2023?

Just wondering where you think all of these "access funds" will pop up from over the next 10-15 years...since USF can't earn as much $$$$ off home football games vs those that actually have their own on-campus stadiums.

I'm confused.  Are we talking about excess or access funds?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets let the program grow and do well, and deal with that when we have so much excess funding it will be a no brainer... 

Question...since USF does not have earn any Suite sales/leasing/signage/concessions/parking, etc...at RJS on your game days...by playing at RJS for the next 10-15 with the upcoming new stadium contract...will that give USF the "excess" funds to build a $500 Million plus stadium in 2018 or 2023?

Just wondering where you think all of these "access funds" will pop up from over the next 10-15 years...since USF can't earn as much $$$$ off home football games vs those that actually have their own on-campus stadiums.

Well not off the current stadium revenue but USF football is profitable with our brand licensing, TV appearance fees, etc. Also in 10 years we would build the fan base even more and have more hardcore fans(alumni) that will be willing to fill the OCS year in and year out.  Plus our current alums will be older, wealthier and could donate more than they can now.

KL, it's not like we're tryin' to save up for one...  ::)

As we would be financing our stadium, inflation would actually be an arguement for building now. Build now with cheaper supplies at a cheaper price and then pay for that structure with money that will be worth a fraction of the buying power for which it was used.

Sounds like common sense.

Mean one can continue to IMPROVE a stadium through the years/decades to come?

Sounds logical to me.

KL, if this were the case, why didn't UCF build an OCS 30 years ago?

KL, answer the **** question!  :D

I feel smazza-like with 5-6 consecutive thread-killing posts.

Guest Mr. AKA

I REAAAAALLY hate chiming in on this subject.....

but the Olympics are stuck in my head since it's part of the little NBC logo on the bottom of the tv every night....

If Tampa were to try to get the Olympics (like they did a few years ago) for the next open position, which I believe is Summer 2016, do you think that would change things? RJS and UT stadium sure aren't enough for everything.

Has this been mentioned at all?

The Summer 2016 Olympic bid for the United States has been given to Chicago

Let's consistently fill RayJay then worry about an OCS...

I'm kinda scared to go to the USF game in Orlando next year, I dont want to be there when it collapses!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Just wondering where you think all of these "access funds" will pop up from over the next 10-15 years...

BCS bowl games and car washes ...

Brett McMurphy:  underpaying the coaching staffs

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Minnesota is definitely doing that thing up right, and you can see why the extra costs...they have an exclusive Club Area, not just for games for people in the "M" Club.  They're also doing it right for the band (incidentally a way to possibly get state and University funds included).

Even if we built an identical structure noway it would cost as much partially because Minnesota is a union state, FL is not...in Minneapolis construction is only about 9 months a year, in FL it is 12.  In Minnesota the structure must be capable of handling sub zero temps.  Those factors alone easily add 20% onto the costs....I would imagine if USF didn't have the extensive Club, and the Band, and eliminated some of the overdone facade that would shave another 20%...now you're down in the $175M range.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Minnesota is definitely doing that thing up right, and you can see why the extra costs...they have an exclusive Club Area, not just for games for people in the "M" Club.  They're also doing it right for the band (incidentally a way to possibly get state and University funds included).

Even if we built an identical structure noway it would cost as much partially because Minnesota is a union state, FL is not...in Minneapolis construction is only about 9 months a year, in FL it is 12.   In Minnesota the structure must be capable of handling sub zero temps.  Those factors alone easily add 20% onto the costs....I would imagine if USF didn't have the extensive Club, and the Band, and eliminated some of the overdone facade that would shave another 20%...now you're down in the $175M range.

Good break down except it is good engineering practice to build a structure to handle 0 C (aka 32) and highest recorded temperature + about 15-20 degrees.  I could see a similar structure costing us about 200 - 225 million though (right now).

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Will the State of Florida, or do we already have a building fund, fund part of the cost of a stadium if classroom space is included?  Didn't FSU do this?

FSU received tens of millions of $$$$$$$ from the State because FSU put in a few classrooms into the Doak Campbell Stadium Expansion...which made it eligible to receive state funds.

Immediately after FSU did this...the law was changed so that state funds wouldn't be used again for any type of stadium expansion, even if one threw in a few classrooms.

PS. Much of the cost of Minnesota's stadium was locked in at 2006 and early 2007 prices.

Stadium (concrete/steel/labor/materials, etc...) costs are only going up.

If this 50,000 seat stadium at 2006-2007 prices cost $288 Million....imagine what a 50,000-60,000 seat stadium might cost come 2018-2023 when USF's next lease at RJS runs out?

(Hint: It won't be cheap)

Goal should be to build ANYTHING...just so its on campus and that the program can earn a heck of a lot more $$$$...as upgrades are constant with collegiate stadiums today.

The chance that a HUGE lot of land will even be available on USF's campus come say 2018 or 2023 to build a large on-campus stadium are probably pretty slim.

For those waiting to build the perfect on-campus stadium at USF...as each year goes by without one...more campus construction takes place...stadium costs continue to esclate...the chances are probably diminishing each and every year.

Here's a look at those schools that just build "something" to start out with...and what that initial stadium looks like today:

Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium:

Opened in 1929: 12,000 seats

7379.jpg

In 2010: Bryant-Denny Stadium will seat 101,000 plus.

Bryant-Denny-South-EZ.jpg

Here's what Doak Campbell Stadium looked like back on opening day in 1953: (like the light poles INFRONT of the stands?)

c014204.jpg

Here's Doak Campbell Stadium today:

aerial.jpg

sounds like a hillbilly mentality

'build it now regardless of what it looks like'

a winner's mentality---"dont do it until you can do it right"

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I feel smazza-like with 5-6 consecutive thread-killing posts.

doesnt it feel good

unless usf wins a  big east title i dont think theri is a stadium in their future

EVERYONE LIKES A WINNER

USF NEEDS TO WIN

Archived