• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Commit per Greg's Blog.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

6-foot-6 tackle Edwards commits to Bulls

TAMPA -- USF has made a late addition to its recruiting class, picking up a commitment Saturday from Damien Edwards, a 6-foot-6, 320-pound tackle from Chandler, Ariz., who could sign with the Bulls as early as Monday.

"It's a real blessing to get this scholarship," said Edwards, who made an official campus visit this weekend. "My dad has deep roots in Tampa and I've got a lot of family there as well."

Edwards comes from an athletic family -- his father Earl, a Blake graduate, went on to play 11 years in the NFL as a defensive lineman, mostly with the 49ers and Bills. His brother, Gavin, is a 6-foot-9 sophomore forward on Connecticut's basketball team.

Edwards, who was also talking with Fresno State before choosing the Bulls, said USF is recruiting him as a left tackle. He's the third offensive lineman in USF's class, with Plant City's Mark Popek and Lake Gibson's Josh Garvin.

"He's going to be a bit of a project, but if USF can be patient with him for a year or two, he can be a great left tackle," his high school coach, Jim Ewan said. "He's a good kid from a good family, and the coaches there won't ever have to worry about him."

Edwards will be only the third football player in USF's short history to come to the Bulls from west of Louisiana.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

wow that was out of nowhere.  whatever thats okay with me!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We have added some real monsters in this class. 

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like a good pickup.

We could have a monster oline in a year or two.

• Content Count:  2,726

WOW, I AM HAPPY.

My grin is ear to ear...lol...MONSTROUS OFFENSIVE LINEMAN to PROTECT GROTHE AND CO.

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  4,738

it sounds like they will all be projects though.  I hope we have some good O-line coaching

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I dunno much about this guy but when his high school coach is calling him a project it might be awhile before he see the field.

Regardless we have some great OLine pickups so whether he pans out or not doesn't matter

• Content Count:  108

I like the signing.  If nothing else, he adds another body for competition, which could push another guy to be great.  I also don't mind him being a bit of a project.  So what if he can't contribute his freshman year.  How many OL (or for that matter any football players) can?

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

I like it, he is big and so what you will know after the first season as a Redshirt if he will cut the mustard.

Archived