• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daniels headlines list of weekend visitors

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I like the way he squares his shoulders before he throws on the run, plus he has a strong arm.  It would be great to get a commit form him this weekend.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  254

Thing I like about BJ is that he scrambles to throw deep.  If he gets free, he's always looking for the bomb vs. tucking it and running and he's got great touch on the deep ball which will be perfect with the running game we'll have by the time he takes the reigns.  Then, if they do start playing us deep, he's going to have a field day picking up first downs.  Hope we can land this kid.  Him and Streeter would be a sick combination.  Should've had them on the same recruiting trip.

BJ and Tommy Streeter were scheduled to come in last weekend but Tommy broke his arm and BJ rescheduled to this weekend.  I would have liked to have them with Odoms on the same weekend but things did not work out.

• Content Count:  254

45% is fine if you're hitting the 86 yard deep balls a few times a game...I'd rather have a guy who can hit the deep ball and be near 50% on the others than one who is 60% on dump downs and short routes, but can't hit guys deep.  Hitting the deep ball is what bails you out against good defenses bc even great defenses can't play perfect every down and when they slip up, they have to pay.  That was our problem this year.  In tight games where our offense was being shut down, we couldn't get the quick strike to get the guys out of the box.  Even against UCF, look how many long balls were wide open we missed in that first quarter where the WRs were open by 4-5 yards!  We missed those all year not too mention the INTs on ones that were underthrown or the ones that only ended up being long passes and not long TDs bc the WRs had to wait on the ball to catch up.  We need someone with an arm our speedy WRs can't outrun or their speed means nothing.

Even though I would like it if Matt threw the long ball better,  in that UCF game there were three outright drops on long passes in the first half.

• Content Count:  2,523

45% is fine if you're hitting the 86 yard deep balls a few times a game...I'd rather have a guy who can hit the deep ball and be near 50% on the others than one who is 60% on dump downs and short routes, but can't hit guys deep.  Hitting the deep ball is what bails you out against good defenses bc even great defenses can't play perfect every down and when they slip up, they have to pay.  That was our problem this year.  In tight games where our offense was being shut down, we couldn't get the quick strike to get the guys out of the box.  Even against UCF, look how many long balls were wide open we missed in that first quarter where the WRs were open by 4-5 yards!  We missed those all year not too mention the INTs on ones that were underthrown or the ones that only ended up being long passes and not long TDs bc the WRs had to wait on the ball to catch up.  We need someone with an arm our speedy WRs can't outrun or their speed means nothing.

Even though I would like it if Matt threw the long ball better,  in that UCF game there were three outright drops on long passes in the first half.

Drops and misfires all year long.  It looked all year long that we had never practiced it as the timing and location on both the WRs and Grothe were hardly ever on.  That needs to be a serious area of work this Spring and upcoming Fall and they all need to stay their butts on campus this summer and work on it in the afternoons.  If Pros do it to get better, then you better believe it would help our guys and that would really be a life saver in tight games to know you don't have to have a 10 play drive to score.

• Content Count:  919

Grothe's problem on the deep ball is that he ALWAYS underthrew his receiver.  He needs to work on getting the ball out there and let his guys run under it.  Several of Grothe's interceptions were on underthrows on deep balls - I'd bet at least 5.  I can't help but hear Chris Spielman's voice echo in my head "If you're long, you're never wrong".

• Content Count:  176

I say B.J Daniels is just into the ego thing, seems like he feels he will be doing us a favor, lets go national and get us a 6'3 true q.b. that can pass and pass some more. In the end i think USF will need someone just like the kid who killed us at Oregon as a freshman.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I say B.J Daniels is just into the ego thing, seems like he feels he will be doing us a favor, lets go national and get us a 6'3 true q.b. that can pass and pass some more. In the end i think USF will need someone just like the kid who killed us at Oregon as a freshman.

If you mean a QB without speed, that isn't what USF wants at all.  USF wants a QB with speed to run the spread.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

So has anybody heard anything on Daniels and how his visit went this weekend?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Daniels did not commit on the trip but apparently had a real good time.  The staff is pretty high on him and believes he can run our offense and that it suits him. 

Kid can play, needs to work on accuracy.

• Content Count:  4,016

It was Oregon's offensive system that killed us not the freshman QB.  BJ is making his decision and his parents are very, very involved.  My goodness the kid and his family are allowed to make a conscience choice about where he wants to go to school.  Let's not berate him because he's not doing it on our timeline.

We run a read option offense, and Leavitt likes the spread option with a mobile QB, I like it too few big time programs can truly operate a straight dropback option without having amazing athletes at every spot, and BJ would be a nice fit.  Not a perfect fit because his completion percentage is still a bit questionable, but a very good pick-up for the bulls.

Archived