• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DEATH ROW IS COMING BACK

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

get'em BullAbove!

**** the visiting team, their fans, and their women and children!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone remember how much Denny Crum hated playing USF at the Sun Dome because we yelled at him for the entire game?  Back in the early 90's Denny and other coaches used to move their chair out on the court away from the stands during timeouts because they could not hear over out yelling.  Why make the Dome friendly for visitors?

There is a big difference in what is being yelled now than what was yelled back in the 90's. There is no originality in the students today and the way they berate the coaches and players of the visiting teams should have them thrown out of the Dome based on what PA announcer says every game about inappropriate behavior.

Seriously I am amazed by the amount of hatred directed at our current students on this board... NO ORIGINALITY? Are you serious, just because our vocab happens to include more profanity that does not mean the students in the 90's were better at getting in coaches/players heads....  I sit in the front row of the student section just about every home game and the guys I attend the games with are as a rule some of the smartest people I know... Do we use profanity, just about every other word, and if we get out of hand our security guard at the stairs lets us know.  When you have coaches and players look up at you during the game with a half smile or a subtle shaking of the head you are doing your job.  The lack of originality comes from the constant bashing of the current student body.  Seriously the only reason I can imagine throwing anyone out of the student section would be if a threat was made, or someone gets physical with someone else... Other than that its all in fun!!  To our Alumni that is against the ignorance of our current student body, understand that we will one day be the ones sitting with you, so learn to love us.

You are wrong on sooooo many levels, the main one being that cursing is not a big deal and that the bashing on here towards students shows "no originality".  The only people showing no originality are those students who curse every other word.  That is not the way to talk smack at a game and you will never be anywhere near the level that Death Row was at.  I was in the student section for 6 years and rarely cursed.  If the only way you can find to talk smack is to curse every other word, then please do not come to the games, stay at home, because that is not the kind of smack talk that we need at the games.  Before you go questioning me, I was there from 2001-2007, and went through Greenbergopolis and the 01-02 season where we were voted worst stadium to play in by the conference coaches due to the way the fans, especially students were.  We barely cursed back then.  There is no need to curse, be creative, and if you think that the people here have no originality, than you only have to look in the mirror to see somebody with no originality.  Come up with something other than cursing every other word, before you even think about comparing yourselves to Death Row. 

Please explain to me why profanity in the student section, which if I am not mistaken encompasses individuals who are currently enrolled at the university and therefore should be 18+ is such an issue.  Ladies and Gentlemen they are words.  We are not throwing items at people on the floor, we are not spitting on people, and we are not threatening anyone.  Simply put we are yelling.  I didn’t compare myself to anyone from other generations; I was simply defending the current student body, which seems to be the central point for more ******** on this board than anyone outside of Gregory.  Death row as you call it was no doubt a blast, and thank you for laying the groundwork, and continuing to support the program, and if you had fun getting into it with the visiting team sans the language more power to you.  I have a Mom, and a dad, the last thing I need is another person telling me how to act.  You all did it your way, we do it ours.  I can absolutely assure you none of us are changing.  As far as not coming to the games that is never going to happen.  So if your ears are hurt by the use of certain words, maybe you should bring headphones to the game and listen on the radio.  Either that, or yell louder than us, that is of course the option I would prefer.  The bottom line is we all want the dome to be electric, and if the only noise being made is coming from us that is certainly not our fault.

What is the purpose of using so many curse words? Yes, they are only words, but they rude, distasteful and igorant.  If you can't talk smack without using cursewords, then you aren't really talking smack, you are verbally assaulting someone and making USF look bad.  Honestly, if someone was to curse at you, what do you think of them?  Death Row was creative and realitively clean in their smack talk.  They distracted the visiting team by saying things that made them lose focus on their game, they yelled and created noise so teams couldnt hear themselves in timeouts.  Does adding curse words really accomplish any of that?  Remember, there are families at the games too, as well as ladies. 

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

What is the purpose of using so many curse words? Yes, they are only words, but they rude, distasteful and igorant.  If you can't talk smack without using cursewords, then you aren't really talking smack, you are verbally assaulting someone and making USF look bad.  Honestly, if someone was to curse at you, what do you think of them?  Death Row was creative and realitively clean in their smack talk.  They distracted the visiting team by saying things that made them lose focus on their game, they yelled and created noise so teams couldnt hear themselves in timeouts.  Does adding curse words really accomplish any of that?  Remember, there are families at the games too, as well as ladies.   

profanity can be poetic if used properly.

• Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  0

Given that the people being referenced in the above posts are mostly my friends clearly I have a heavier tolerance for profanity.  Believe it or not much like many other parts of society the rules our generations grew up with were not nearly as strict as other generations with regards to language... My father was a drill instructor in the Marines and honestly the language I grew up around was as harsh as it comes, and I know most of my friends growing up expierenced the same.  I agree that in the wrong setting these words can be viewed as "verbal" assualt, but if you ever played competetive sports beyond pee-wee's you know that profanity is part of locker room lingo.  I know the networks have gone away from live mic's on coaches and players because of past slip ups.  So if your telling me that me dropping the F bomb at a COLLEGE sports event is somehow a personal attack on you, I can do nothing more than laugh.  Knowing the difference between a gym, or a football stadium and a classroom is the key to this whole thing.  Clearly the words we use in a class will be different than the ones we use over a case at a tailgate with friends. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

There's no place in basketball for poetry ...

• Content Count:  3,103

no, no it can't. 

• Content Count:  996

get'em BullAbove!

..and their littles dogs too!!!  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

get'em BullAbove!

..and their littles dogs too!!!   ;D

Leave the Puppies out of it

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

just because our vocab happens to include more profanity that does not mean the students in the 90's were better at getting in coaches/players heads....

Actually, it does.

I, too, recall the glory days of Death Row, and I rarely heard profanity there.  They took the time to do their homework, prepare for games, and come up with creative, original banter that was custom created for the opponent that night.  Not to mention the hoods and scythes...

Look, if you want to throw on a green shirt, sit close to the court, and rattle off a string of bad words, more power to you.  Just don't think people are going to want to pat you on the back for it or consider what you're doing remotely cerebral.

Kudos to the students who did some homework before UAB, by the way.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  568
  • Days Won:  1

Death Row and Zoo Crew were the two best cheer groups to ever sit in Sun Dome seats.  Both were effective and Both approached their hysteria differently.  It would be awesome to see a resurection of both groups.

Archived