• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ok... I'm goin' to defend Gregory...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Well, here it goes. This was his first year as OC. I understand many of our Defensive Leaders are Seniors, but Senior leaders on the Offense are few and far between. Many of the leaders are Soft. and even Fresh. I have no problem saying that he was better than Coach rOd. We did play much better this year. A game that I dont think gets enough mention is the Cinci game. Two years ago, Cinci made us their Biatch. We couldnt make a single play on Offense, it was just horrible. This year, against a very good Cinci team, we played terrible, just as bad as the frickin Sun Bowl and still ALMOST won! What I'm tryin to say is that we want USF to win every single game, every single time. Its not goin to happen. We want to put up 50 every single game, and that also aint gonna happen. I say give Gregory a chance. No, I am not crazy, but it takes more than one year for me to really lose my cool. The way I see it, mistakes (and I'll admit, most by Grothe) are the reason we lost our regular season games. It wasnt playcalling. All right, you now have all the permission to rip me apart >:D.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

You gotta remember, Oregon put together a very specific anti-USF game plan (counter the speed, our strong point on defense), and had a month to dissect our X's and O's. They also modified their offense during this month to accommodate their nuevo QB (as they were going to be without Dixon), whereas our offense remained unchanged from what we'd done this season. We threw nothing new at Oregon, so for them, it was just like another day at bowl game practice. I wouldn't be screamin' and yellin' for Gregory's head strictly for the bowl game. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

I keep hearing that USF didn't make any changes or add any new wrinkles to the offense for the Sun Bowl--- and maybe they should have had something ready.

But do you change a bunch of your offense after the last three games of the season with as much success in terms of overall yardage and points we put up?

What was different was the attrition we suffered both before and during that game in terms of penalties. Sure--- we had a buttload of turnovers and other on field "gems"--- but the shear number of starters getting hurt by the endof the third quarter was alarming--- the lines were devastated. Did Cirs Robinson even play? Were we running effectively a 3-5 once Mompremier went out with injury? If so-- I am concerned with depth at LB beyond who we are bringing in. Roberts seemed to be playing up at LB for mostof the game.

gah--- ugly ass game--- what's the point rehashing this other than frustrating otherfans who are trying to move on.

• Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

There are two major areas, in my mind, that are under complete control of the offensive coordinator.

1. Play calling - I agree our scoring and yardage were up this year, but it was disappointing to see a lack of creativty in our play calling for most of the year.  It's frustrating to watch teams like Oregon, Missouri, and West Va create and call plays that put their players inthe best position to be successful while also trying to eliminate a defense's strength.  This area was improved over last year but far from acceptable for me.

2. Player Development - I love Matt and he has the ability to do amazing things, but the vast majority of his mistakes/interceptions come from poor decisions.  This falls directly on the OC/QB coach.  For our team to be successful, we have to eliminate the interceptions.  The OC must teach the QB when to take chance and when to throw it away.  Matt also needs some work on his throwing mechanics, especially on deep passes, so that they don't sail on him. Again this comes from coaching.

Overall, I would say Gregory did a better job this year than Rod Smith, but I am far from pleased when it comes to player development and creative play calling.

• Content Count:  1,412

I keep hearing that USF didn't make any changes or add any new wrinkles to the offense for the Sun Bowl--- and maybe they should have had something ready.

But do you change a bunch of your offense after the last three games of the season with as much success in terms of overall yardage and points we put up?

What was different was the attrition we suffered both before and during that game in terms of penalties. Sure--- we had a buttload of turnovers and other on field "gems"--- but the shear number of starters getting hurt by the endof the third quarter was alarming--- the lines were devastated. Did Cirs Robinson even play? Were we running effectively a 3-5 once Mompremier went out with injury? If so-- I am concerned with depth at LB beyond who we are bringing in. Roberts seemed to be playing up at LB for mostof the game.

gah--- ugly ass game--- what's the point rehashing this other than frustrating otherfans who are trying to move on.

AGREE...  I heard it put best after we beat WVU when someone was complaining they didn't implement something different... they said  "Would you change your  lottery numbers after you just won the last 15 weeks with the same ones?"

But for those saying Gregory called a horrible game

I want to know one thing.  How could you tell that USF didn't add one thing on offense?  It seems to me that added 2 more players in our backfield... issue was they were wearing Oregon black unis!

Maybe we had tons of new wrinkles to throw at them, but how do you make a call when their defensive front is in Grothe's jock!

So the spread option is dependent upon reading the DE and making him commit one way or the other... Doesn't work very well when the DT's are already 2 steps in to the backfield during the play and the DE can just sit there and not commit.

I am no offensive genius so please tell me what offense is there that can take advantage of a interior defensive line eating our lunch!

Although it is hard to fault him in the Oregon game... Matt needs to improve and stop throwing everything off his back foot and I am sure he knows that!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I want to know one thing.  How could you tell that USF didn't add one thing on offense?  It seems to me that added 2 more players in our backfield... issue was they were wearing Oregon black unis!

So the spread option is dependent upon reading the DE and making him commit one way or the other... Doesn't work very well when the DT's are already 2 steps in to the backfield during the play and the DE can just sit there and not commit.

I am no offensive genius so please tell me what offense is there that can take advantage of a interior defensive line eating our lunch!

Might be the best offensive breakdown post I have ever read!

• Content Count:  1,757

Grothe definitiely needs to improve on his decision making, especially when throwing the ball into double and triple coverage.  One question I hate to ask, but would like to hear other's opinions on:  Is Grothe too short to be a good passing QB?  Unless our running game is clicking and the passing lanes are wide open, he seems to have real trouble finding (seeing?) open recievers downfield.  He's had many batted down or tipped passes (partially an o-line problem, mostly his) and doesn't seem to be able to chuck it more than 15 yards without winding up or laying it up there for grabs.  I've noticed watching some of the  2006 games (WVa esp) and more often than I'd like, our recievers made him look good with circus-like catches.   

Overall, I'd take Gregory anytime over that idiot Rod Smith.  I'll definitely fault Gregory on  giving up on the run too early in this game.  This is not the first this time he's done that (see Uconn as the worst example of it).  You want an answer for over-pursuing defensive linemen?  Pound it right at them, and try to wear them out.  Sure they'll stop us at first, but you have to attack and wear that over-pursuing d-line down.  The first time you break a big run they'll have to pay more attention to defending the rushing lanes and not so much as just getting upfield.  The minute we became one-dimensional we were screwed. 

I still think this game was a shining example of how NOT to prepare for a bowl game.  Maybe we can chaulk it up to a learning experience for Leavitt and crew.  It was after all the biggest bowl game we've ever been in.  Sure what we were doing those last 3 games worked, but it really looked like OU did their homework and adjusted their gameplan to exploit every weakness and attack every strength we had.  On the other hand, we looked extremely predictable and downright pathetic when we got behind.  Kudos to the OU coaching staff for being prepared for that one.       

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Grothe is not too short.  However, he needs to work on the mental portion of the game, and becoming a good QB.  He relies a lot on his instinct and talent which has been good, but is not enough to take himself, or USF, to the next level.  By mental I mean the forced passes, the decision not to throw the ball away or sometimes not knowing what the time/distance are.  Patr of being a sophomore QB, but all things he has to improve.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If MG cuts the INTs to 6/7 and the fumbles in half we could win 2 more games next year.

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I think the offense will look different in 2008 as Gregory will have more time to install HIS offense and not use Rods O.

I believe it was stated that Gregory decided to use the same playbook because He was named OC so late and now He has a full offseason to add his wrinkles to it.

Archived