• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the Times serious

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I'm having trouble understanding how this "story" came out. The paper said his wife told the Times everything. Did she just decide to call them up and tell her life story, hoping they would run with it and print a story about it? As a journalism major and a fan of this paper, I am not thrilled at all that they would print the story. It is NOT news and totally a personal matter between Ben and his family. I hope it doesn't affect his position in the draft because he is a hell of a defensive player who should be a key asset to whatever team he plays for.

Greg said he'd been working on this story for six weeks....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

If not on the St Pete times front page, it would have been on the Tribunes front page.....All of you who clicked on the times link to read the article did exactly what they wanted you to do, which is why its posted there.

I take it whatever reporter leaked the FSU academic scandal is the worst guy in the world and probably should  be banend from Tally if your a nole fan.

If this was about our buddies from the East you all wouldnt be so pissed at the Orlando writer, would you?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

If not on the St Pete times front page, it would have been on the Tribunes front page.....All of you who clicked on the times link to read the article did exactly what they wanted you to do, which is why its posted there.

I take it whatever reporter leaked the FSU academic scandal is the worst guy in the world and probably should  be banend from Tally if your a nole fan.

If this was about our buddies from the East you all wouldnt be so pissed at the Orlando writer, would you?

I don't think it is the same thing.  I think if Greg wanted to report actual confirmed cheating that is one thing.  To print the words of an obviously upset soon-to-be former spouse is shaky.  I wouldn't trust it to be a fair and unbiased commentary from the scorned wife.  Then to try to drag USF into the middle of an ugly divorce suggesting they "marketed" Moffitt's lifestyle is irresponsible.  To bring his impending divorce and alleged behavior to print for the public is outrageous.  The guy is made out to be a monster.  This whole story was wrong in so many ways.  I can't imagine reading it if it were about a player from another team.  This kind of unsubstantiated dirt does not attract my attention when written about other teams.  It's tabloid-like and of no interest to me.  Sad to see it done to someone on our team...but as you infer - it sells. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

do you think it will sell more papers or simply show USF in a unfavorable light?

Tabloids plaster the "facts" on the front page to entice yokels to buy the "journalism".

I'm not defending or accepting what was written-- but it is someones job to write this !@#%!#$! I just wish they didn't have to include Greg. Wait until Biatchi (incorrectly spelled for effect) gets a hold of this gem-- he will find some way to spin this along his "renegade" program route.

The only shocking assertions are the so-called writing of papers and taking on-line tests. Having a computer file on that doesn't mean she wrote them unless she feels typing something is the equivalent of writing.

Then again-- maybe she is telling the truth. That is USF's concern-- I wait to see how they handle it. THe whole woman scorned thing rings a little too true for me to buy her entire story. Greg couldn't get Ben to comment (and this was on the advice of an attorney folks--- which is what any rationale person would do when facing a divorce) so he printed everything she told him without a balanced viewpoint to counter her comments.

Charlie Sheen comes to mind. Really surprised she didn't say even worse things about Ben come to think of it. And for me-- even if this is 100% accurate, is it really any of my business? Seems like a combination of personal business and the University academic standards folks.

• Content Count:  936

I agree with Bulliever and MikeG.

Absolutely insane.

• Content Count:  3,827

Where was this outcry with Brian Fisher's problems, or Josh Julmiste's problems, or Woody George's problems?

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Hey Shoop... I supported Fisher through his debacle... Julimeste though... he got caught stealing redhanded if I recall.

• Content Count:  677

With pro athletes, I guess this kind of stuff is fair game but for college players I think this is garbage.  

The other thing is (maybe I am wrong) but the media has been the ones portraying him as a "family man" because of his unique family situation.  I have never heard him (other than responding to questions) try to put himself out there like some great family guy.

YES it appears he lied in response to  a reporters question but what is he supposed to say . . . it is no one's business!

well as of this week he isnt a college player.. ;D

• Content Count:  1,803

Maybe this will help him realize what he has done! He deserves to be blasted...this was a b**** move on his part. I just defended him the other day when a co-worker of mine said, "Ben will probably ditch his family once the money and golddigging hotties come into the picture." Thanks for proving me wrong Ben.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

It was his "story" though.

No, it's Ben and Shauna Moffit's creation. Greg is covering USF-related news, like a journalist who doesn't want to starve is supposed to do. Not only that, but it covers exactly what we know up to this point--allegations by a jilted divorcee and that there has been a divorce filed by Ben.

Archived