• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCiF interested in scheduling FIU & FAU for football series.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

orlandosentinel.com/community/news/ucf/orl-ucf2107dec21,0,3514911.story

OrlandoSentinel.com

Knights work to solidify non-conference games for several seasons

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

December 21, 2007

UCF may have its sights set on the program's first 11-win season as it approaches next week's Liberty Bowl, but the school's administration is already thinking about what it can do to set up the Knights' football future.

UCF has game contracts signed for three of its four non-conference games next season. The Knights open their 2008 season at home against South Carolina State. They will also host South Florida and are scheduled to travel to Miami on Oct. 4.

The 2009 season features a trip to Texas and home games against Buffalo and Miami. The Knights have two of four non-conference games set in 2010, traveling to Buffalo and hosting N.C. State.

Only one game each has been scheduled thus far after that, with trips to Texas and Pittsburgh in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

With the exception of the three-game series with Texas, UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble has successfully moved the Knights out of the two-for-one and "buy game" situations that UCF no longer desires with its own on-campus venue to fill.

When Tribble took over as AD in 2006, there were pre-existing buy games on the books against the likes of Penn State and Florida. UCF worked out a deal with Western Kentucky this season to get out of the Knights' second consecutive trip to Gainesville. The Knights have also gotten out of their trip to play the Nittany Lions.

"The buy game, what they tend to do, you probably lose those games," Tribble said recently. "So you have two or three losses before you even start your conference schedule. And then if you have a competitive conference schedule, you have more losses and you're in danger of not getting to a bowl game or not having a successful season. I think we all recognize that now and now I think we'll be moving away from that as a conference."

Though UCF would like to look into continuing the South Florida series after it ends next season, Tribble said he is also interested at adding state teams like FIU &  FAU.

Kyle Hightower can be reached at khightower@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Question is whether they will be asking for 2-1 deals or straight 1-1.  Both schools may balk at giving a non-BCS school an uneven series.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

UCF better be careful what they wish for.  FAU is manhandling a CUSA-affiliated Memphis as I type.  Plus all USF fans learned this season that FAU has game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

atleast Mr. Tribble knows that his Knights would lose the "pay Games". I dont think they would have a shot against Penn State either.

• Content Count:  500

atleast Mr. Tribble knows that his Knights would lose the "pay Games". I dont think they would have a shot against Penn State either.

Yeah way for the AD to hype up his school. We arent playing these games, because we would get killed, and oh ya we have a stadium.

• Content Count:  1,390

UCF better be careful what they wish for.  FAU is manhandling a CUSA-affiliated Memphis as I type.  Plus all USF fans learned this season that FAU has game.

Not trying to start any UCF vs. USF crap but, UCF was beating Memphis 49-0 at HALFTIME earlier this year when they played them. Then I believe they pulled the plug on either Smith or something and ended up winning 56-20.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,674
  • Days Won:  424

Yeah, whats wrong with that...

Nothing, really .... It's why UCF tried so **** hard to schedule USF when they saw what they were building. They were too late for USF but maybe they can stop FAU before they pass them by, too...

And, as a UCF fan, having your AD say "The buy game, what they tend to do, you probably lose those games" doesn't piss you off??  If Woolard said something like that I would be mad as hell.

• Content Count:  65

Nope, we are finally scheduling smart.  We arent dodging people, next season we play you guys at home and Miami on the road.  Add a 1AA and a lesser 1A program and you have a fine OOC schedule. 

If we can somehow find a way to beat you guys, and Miami is anything like they were this year...we have a legit shot at a very special season.

We aren't a BCS program yet.  Playing the top 25 on the road two and three times to open the season is a lot to ask.  I think everyone has learned from Boise State and Hawaii.  Those programs didnt kill themselves with their OOC schedule and their reward has been rankings and BCS bowl games.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

fau passed ftu/ou/oc on football food chain last year

Archived