• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Grothe is by far the best QB we've ever had(in our short history) and with Gregory, we have our best #2.

Feel great about Plucking the Duckling.

Go BULLS !!!

true

but grothe needs to drastically improve in his decision making if usf is to compete for big east title next year

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

nevermind! was going to pipe in on rss but not really worth the time typing. I will just chuckle and move on.

You're his dad, right? I'm sure we can expect a lot of honest and unbiased insight from you.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The O would be in good hands with Gregory.  Hopefully, we never have to know for sure!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If the receiver has a step or two on the defender, as long as he isn't underthrown, the QB did their job. I can't think of a time when MG threw a planned deep ball and it ended up under thrown. Usually, if he misses, it is long.

Like those Int's in the WV game (all short)?  Or when Mitchell was by himself digging his butt crack and the ball was almost thrown out of bounds (what a catch and great balance by Carlton).

To say Matt is never short is just plain wrong.  The kid is a good QB, but to be great he has to take less sacks (aka throw the ball away) and take better care of the ball (aka not as many INTs as TDs [this is 2 years in a row]).

If Grothe is an "A" quarterback, Gregory is a "C+" quarterback.

Not bad for a backup, but he is still very much a backup.

Good to know you can watch practice from Richmond, there MAB... and be able to grade the backup QB's performance. Tell me what does Voss look like?

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

My apologies, Jim.

I thought this was as internet chat board, or something.

Typical pompous JimUSFSig response.

Thank you. I try very hard to prefect my pomposity.

:D  ;)  :D  ;D

I was hoping you might explain WHY you made the statement... Personally, I don't think I've seen enough of Gregory to give him much of a grade or make such a claim.  I certainly don't watch practice, where the coaches can evaluate him day in and day out.  I understand that if he were better than Grothe he'd be starting... but what makes you think he is that much worse??

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

If the receiver has a step or two on the defender, as long as he isn't underthrown, the QB did their job. I can't think of a time when MG threw a planned deep ball and it ended up under thrown. Usually, if he misses, it is long.

Like those Int's in the WV game (all short)?  Or when Mitchell was by himself digging his butt crack and the ball was almost thrown out of bounds (what a catch and great balance by Carlton).

To say Matt is never short is just plain wrong.  The kid is a good QB, but to be great he has to take less sacks (aka throw the ball away) and take better care of the ball (aka not as many INTs as TDs [this is 2 years in a row]).

That ball was not almost thrown out of bounds. Carltons almost steped out as he was running. But that ball was caught in bounds and was not even close to being trown out of bounds.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Matt went thru a slump mid season and his mechanics were off a bit. But, the last three games he was as sharp as any qb we've ever had.  Good footwork, good shoulder turn and good decisions on when to throw.

Just my opinion.

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Matt's "slump" just happened to come at the same time that we lost Amarri, TJ, and Walker.

You people do watch the games right? The picks against WVU were not good, but TJ wasn't fighting for the ball either. Those, by the way, are not exactly what I would call "deep balls". The 20-30 yard pass doesn't have anything to do with Matt's arm. He tried to squeeze the ball in a tight spot, didn't get any help from the receiver (not that they ball should have been caught, but at least get in the way), and they were picked, it happens. I thought the argument was that Mitchell would have had so many more yards if Matt could just get the ball to him on a fly pattern, and my point was that he has yet to underthrow one of those that I can remember.

Still, when the other team knows that he is so much a part of our offense, there are never any wide open receivers to throw to. He always has to squeeze the ball in because there isn't any space in the secondary.

When Walt came back and Ford started carrying the load, I think we got a glimpse of how good Grothe can be with a little support.

Archived