• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

nevermind! was going to pipe in on rss but not really worth the time typing. I will just chuckle and move on.

Please do post.  Give us a little insight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

...I'll do it...

Looks like +/- 47 yards in the air without his feet under him. I'll take it.

The key to the deep ball is putting enough air under it. If the receiver has a step or two on the defender, as long as he isn't underthrown, the QB did their job. I can't think of a time when MG threw a planned deep ball and it ended up under thrown. Usually, if he misses, it is long. No harm done.

I have read people talking about his accuracy on the deep ball. The deep ball doesn't have to be accurate (especially the post that we normally run). The receiver has plenty of time to adjust to the ball. Believe me, I never played QB a day in my life, won my flag football championship as the QB because we were able to throw the deep ball, out throw the defenders, then let the receiver do the work.

Also, someone mentioned Matt's accuracy falling off this year. Receivers weren't all that great early in the season, literally 5-10 drops per game. Also, when a QB is 90% of the offense, receivers don't have much space. I haven't looked, and I know the defenses were weaker, but I would venture to say that when Ford started getting carries, it opened up things to the point where Matt could run more, and find more open receivers.

Seriously, without Ford, you rush 4, spy MG, and drop 6 into coverage. Obviously it isn't that easy, but you can definately take away the deep ball.

I like Gregory, don't get me wrong, but it is a big drop off. He doesn't have the instincts that Matt has. He is very mechanical. If it is a run, he runs, a pass, he passes. He isn't going to make a play out of nothing. Matt Grothe is a human highlight reel. I am not saying that Matt's highlights are the only reason we are winning games, but when the other 21 guys on the field see their QB escape tackles and run for an 80 yard TD, it kind of sparks things.

You ever notice how when it looks like MG is sacked and he gets out of it, the receiver never drops the ball? You think it may be because they are thinking, 'holy crap that was awesome, I can't screw this up'?

OK, that's my rant. Back on point. I too am glad that Matt has stayed healthy. Also glad that we are adding weapons to take some pressure off of him. He, Ford, and Mitchell are going to be a tough trio to defend in the next couple of years. That is of course if MG doesn't lose his job to Gregory in the off season  ;)

• Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

"Gregory as good as Grothe" is a pointless hypothetical.

the kid has definetely looked good on mop-up duty, and i would feel comfortable with the Bulls going into a game with him if Grothe were out.

but let's be honest...  not many QBs can replicate what Grothe does.  even other mobile QBs in succesful spread offenses dont do what Grothe does.  he's an escape artist and keeps plays alive. Gregory is by no means a slouch on the move, but i cant think of another athlete in FBS that's as slippery or shifty as MG.

when u think about the Bulls' offense this season--- dinged up OLine with freshmen filling holes (Hermann, Genus), freshmen getting major time at the skill positions (Mitchell, Bogan, Ford, Taylor, etc.)--- it's amazing what the Bulls have been able to do.  and that's a direct result of MG's ability to escape, move the pocket and throw on the run.

who else could do that?

Michael Vick can do what Grothe does. Keep those dogs away from Matt please!

• Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

That is of course if MG doesn't lose his job to Gregory in the off season  ;)

Blasphemy.

• Content Count:  4,642

^^  ditto.  this will never happen.

• Content Count:  4,642

the WR's and RB's will be a lot better next year, by the year after i think our offense will be the number one ranked offense in the BE

• Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

the WR's and RB's will be a lot better next year, by the year after i think our offense will be the number one ranked offense in the BE

I agree on this.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

While we await the Sunbowl, I just wanted to take a second to commend Matt Grothe and the health he has maintained this season.  I worry about him getting hurt every time he runs the ball.   He did a great job of adding some bulk in the off-season (he weighed 190 pounds in his redshirt year, 200lbs last year, 213 this year according to gousfbulls.com) and he seemed to have taken care of himself on the field.

Way to go Matt!  Thank you!

dont worry be happy

• Content Count:  765

They did some real high tech stuff with Teabow wearing sensors to facilitate a digital analysis of his movements.  It would be great if Matt could take advantage of the same process, but I think Teabows analysis was done by researchers at UF.

Archived