• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

"Gregory as good as Grothe" is a pointless hypothetical.

the kid has definetely looked good on mop-up duty, and i would feel comfortable with the Bulls going into a game with him if Grothe were out.

but let's be honest...  not many QBs can replicate what Grothe does.  even other mobile QBs in succesful spread offenses dont do what Grothe does.  he's an escape artist and keeps plays alive. Gregory is by no means a slouch on the move, but i cant think of another athlete in FBS that's as slippery or shifty as MG.

when u think about the Bulls' offense this season--- dinged up OLine with freshmen filling holes (Hermann, Genus), freshmen getting major time at the skill positions (Mitchell, Bogan, Ford, Taylor, etc.)--- it's amazing what the Bulls have been able to do.  and that's a direct result of MG's ability to escape, move the pocket and throw on the run.

who else could do that?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

If we get up on Oregon by a bunch, Gregory won't play the entire quarter.  Severino has earned playing time..........five years of blood, sweat, and tears in practice time.  I think if you say Grothe is a 9 and Julmiste a 5, Gregroy would be in the 6.5 or 7 range on a 10 scale.  Just my take.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't know if Gregory has the intangibles Grothe does.  However, he clearly has a very strong arm.  Oh by the way, he's as tough as anyone.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If Grothe is an "A" quarterback, Gregory is a "C+" quarterback.

Not bad for a backup, but he is still very much a backup.

Good to know you can watch practice from Richmond, there MAB... and be able to grade the backup QB's performance. Tell me what does Voss look like?

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

My apologies, Jim.

I thought this was as internet chat board, or something.

Typical pompous JimUSFSig response.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Gregory is a tough SOB... but he's not as mobile as MG is and most of his duty this year has come against depleted and defeated secondaries in mop up duty.

No way in hell Grant makes any of these plays:

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Who knows how good Gregory could be if he had more game experience.

Good to see Grothe bulking up.  Beef and beer does it for me!

I like the fact that he has bulked up as well for increased durability, however, I do think that his weight training may have affected his consistency on the passing game.  I would really like to see Matt get with the same trainer that helped Tebow improve his throwing motion and accuracy due to his bulked up upper body.  Tebow's running didn't impress me - it was his running coupled with his highly accurate passing that put him in a league of his own.  I think Matt could be there with some of the same help that Tebow got last off-season.  Anyone agree?

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

During the offseason, the quarterback was closer than people think but since Grothe was the incumbent he kept the job. Gregory has a way stronger arm than Grothe and is just as fast if not faster but Grothe is a little more shifty.

I don't think the offense would skip a beat with either QB in. Grothe brings a little more scrambling to the table but he can't utilize our WR's on streaks because his arm is not as strong. Gregory to Carlton Mitchell would have been a more potent combo. Mitchell would have atleast picked up a 200 more yards receiving just on streaks.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Grothe is by far the best QB we've ever had(in our short history) and with Gregory, we have our best #2.

Feel great about Plucking the Duckling.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,037

nevermind! was going to pipe in on rss but not really worth the time typing. I will just chuckle and move on.

• Content Count:  2,461

nevermind! was going to pipe in on rss but not really worth the time typing. I will just chuckle and move on.

You mean pipe in and say that Teabow is a low-grade meatball? 

Archived