• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Passport Needed to Drive into Mexico?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,142
  • Days Won:  0

Very good advice.  We're planning to hit Juarez during the day Saturday...

Will definitely keep this in mind! Thanks!!

There is a great way for you to go to Juarez from El Paso and the ONLY way I would do it...it's called the Border Hopper.  for a certain amount of money per person (a couple of years ago it was $8) you can ride a trolley into Juarez, be dropped off and picked up at certain shopping/points of interest destinations and then ride back into the US.  It makes going through customs VERY easy!  You don't even get off the trolley coming back through, the guards just come on and ask what you're bringing back.

(Ask Mutt about the time we brought back too many bottles of liquor >:D)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,501

I walked into Tiajuana last year, at night, and had a blast.  The locals are friendly, and always willing to negotiate prices.  $1 coronas at most bars/clubs.  The police force is not as corrupt as in years past.  They ignored us and didn't harass us in any way.  I even jump bus, with a bunch of locals, and rode from the border to the strip and not once did I feel unsafe.  Just be smart, don't break the law, and don't do anything stupid.......you'll be fine.

Great advice there.  Just don't be a wise ass and act stupid.  You will be fine.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

I & a friend spent a couple nights in Jaurez.  It's very unkept (potholes every few inches in sidewalks etc.)  We never felt unsafe even though people are more than happy to take your $$$.  Carry losts of small bills so if the waiter dosen't bring your change (happened to my friend) you don't care.

DEFINATELY DO NOT WEAR JEWELRY (this includes wedding rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

shoot--- I was really looking forward to bringing back a bunch of Mexican turtles

• Content Count:  1,757

Meccariello is 100% right about the Mexican population and police. We (America) have pooped on our neighbors to the south for quite some time now.  As a result they do not all like us very much...

On the passport, while you do not currently need a passport, you should go ahead and get one if you can!  You will have a MUCH easier time travelling, especially on the way back in.  I could have smuggled pounds of "stuff" back with me from the honeymoon in Jamaica 4 years ago (post 9-11).  Only because A.) I had my passport, and B.) I did the whole "yessir / no-sir" respect bit (note this works wonders with cops and speeding tickets, I've talked my way out of a few).  We never got checked once and my bottle of cuban rum and box of cigars made it right through luggage without worry.  Everyone else in line that had the drivers license / birth certificate had to wait and go through inspections with their luggage.  They pulled us aside and said "welcome back to America, have a nice day".   

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

if you havent heard of one, i recommend catching a donkey show while youre in mexico.  fun for the whole family.  clerks 2 made it look like the experience of a lifetime!!  jk, seriously dont go to one...well, dont bring your family at least.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

...go ahead and get one if you can! 

If you don't have it by now, odds are you won't be getting it in time for 12/31. However, for future reference, this is money well spent. It's good for ten years, easily renewable and comes in handy for just such occasions as this.

However...if you do want to try your hand at it:

* Urgent issue applications (which may be issued between one and three business days) require proof of departure within seven business days of being submitted to the passport agency and MUST be shipped to TDS using only the FEDEX Priority Overnight service. If requesting 1-3 days service please call a TDS representative 1-(800)874-5100, before shipping, to ensure availability of this service. .

Other urgent applications can be issued in 7 business days, less urgent applications are usually issued within 10+ business days.

Passport applications submitted by mail to passport agencies routinely take 6 to 8 weeks to be processed. TDS expedites applications by hand carrying them to the U.S. Passport Agency, and following up on the progress. Please note that TDS is not in a position to be able to offer any guarantees of passports to be issued by a specific date. Issue is determined by the urgency of your departure, the acceptance of your appplication without addidtional information being required, and passport agency workloads, particularly during peak travel periods.

http://www.traveldocs.com/passports/new.htm

and from my old colleagues on D Street:

How long does it take to get a passport?

Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters.  During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 10 weeks.  See Processing Times for more information.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html#get_a_passport

Archived