• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Passport Needed to Drive into Mexico?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

Lose the bowl, keep the passport.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Travel by land into Mexico or Canada won't require a passport until Jan 30, 2008.

does this mean the last year for Int' bowl?

No, just that we'll need our passports if we go there after the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Given the talent level we have on this team, if everyone stays healthy, I don't see USF being on the list for that bowl game those years.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

so drivers license is all you need to gp to Mexico??  We are planning on going during the day to get some deals on stuff at almost half price

• Content Count:  12,293

so drivers license is all you need to gp to Mexico??   We are planning on going during the day to get some deals on stuff at almost half price

no passport needed.  only valid US photo ID.  we will have beat the new rule changes by about a month

• Content Count:  155

correct... only a valid id such as a drivers license (your student id wont cut it... neither will that library card)

mexico is a beautiful place, but **** dangerous... the border towns are like walking into beruit

its very very very dangerous after dark... dont expect any help from the cops if you get jacked

when you come back through customs do NOT make any wise ass remarks about "hehe i left the weed behind"... these people work for the federal govornment... their security clearance recinds any sense of humor

also... weed is NOT legal in mexico... dont get busted! mexican jails are soundly built on the engineering practices of the late 17th century and the only way out is western union money transfer from your mommy and made out in the the name of the local law officer in the sum of 10s of thousands of dollars

these people down there do NOT **** around. they love americans money and will take it from you in a heartbeat, but we are not "friends" to them... and with the current politics of immigration and nafta, these people feel resoundly ****** over by our govornment and are looking for an excuse to take it out on YOU!

i speak from experience... no joke here

• Content Count:  1,238

its not needed currently (only a drivers license) but that is changing soon

also... if you have never been to mexico..

stick to the tourist area... do NOT stray.. especially at night

do NOT mouth off to the local cops (even the ones in jeans)... or even look at them wrong

most places prices are "negotabile" and accept american money

dont carry a wallet.. carry your money in your front pocket

dont go anywhere alone

do not try to smuggle anything back.. drugs, turtles, whatever... you dont want that hassle

For those of you who have visited Mexico on cruises or stayed in places like Mexico City or the tourist beaches keep in mind that Mexican towns along the border are nothing like those places. Different rules and laws apply. The majority of the cops are the pimps and dealers. If I may add one more bit of advice...Get back to the states b/4 nightfall or at least get a room for the night.

• Content Count:  39

One more important tip, you can't take your rental car into mexico. And your American auto insurance will not cover you in Mexico. I think there is a trolley that goes from downtown El Paso into central Juarez, near the shopping area.

so drivers license is all you need to gp to Mexico??  We are planning on going during the day to get some deals on stuff at almost half price

no passport needed.  only valid US photo ID.  we will have beat the new rule changes by about a month

According to a few sites I've seen, Mexico requires proof of citizenship:

Mexico Customs Regulations - Entering Mexico

To enter Mexico, you will need either a valid passport or your original birth certificate along with a valid photo ID such as a drivers license. Citizens other than U.S. or Canadian may have other requirements such as a visa. Please contact a Mexican consulate or embassy near you.

NOTE: If you are entering Mexico by any means other than airlines or cruise ship (see below) and staying for over 72 hours and/or traveling more than 20 miles beyond the border, you will need a Tourist Card.

http://www.mexonline.com/mexcustoms.htm

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

correct... only a valid id such as a drivers license (your student id wont cut it... neither will that library card)

mexico is a beautiful place, but **** dangerous... the border towns are like walking into beruit

its very very very dangerous after dark... dont expect any help from the cops if you get jacked

when you come back through customs do NOT make any wise ass remarks about "hehe i left the weed behind"... these people work for the federal govornment... their security clearance recinds any sense of humor

also... weed is NOT legal in mexico... dont get busted! mexican jails are soundly built on the engineering practices of the late 17th century and the only way out is western union money transfer from your mommy and made out in the the name of the local law officer in the sum of 10s of thousands of dollars

these people down there do NOT **** around. they love americans money and will take it from you in a heartbeat, but we are not "friends" to them... and with the current politics of immigration and nafta, these people feel resoundly ****** over by our govornment and are looking for an excuse to take it out on YOU!

i speak from experience... no joke here

Don't know what experience you have, but I live in Texas have been to Mexico.  The tourist areas are perfectly safe, teeming with Americans.  You will have absolutely no problems.  Are there very bad areas, yes, but imo you are overstating the danger.  Most of the kidnappings of Americans that I have heard about occured in Nuevo Laredo, I'm not very familiar with Jaurez, though.  I wouldn't even really be worried about the tourist areas at night, there are so many Americans around, if it is anything like where I go near Brownsville.  You are correct, I wouldn't stray too far off the main drags, but the chances of anyone having any problems are slim.  Be prepared to haggle with the locals for merchandise, they'll try to sell it to you even if you don't want it.  They take US currency and speak English for the most part.  Also everyone i ran into was nice and courteous, although willing to take your $$.  I have had no problems visiting Matamoros Mexico, a border town.  Also, bring your birth certificate along with a government issued ID card.

• Content Count:  155

TJ (Tiajuana) and Jarez are only a rung above beirut and 2 rungs below south st pete on the "walk around safely" ladder

Archived