• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Passport Needed to Drive into Mexico?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

TJ (Tiajuana) and Jarez are only a rung above beirut and 2 rungs below south st pete on the "walk around safely" ladder

Well you may be correct, but that is not my experience in the Brownsville/Matamoros area.  Had no problems in that area and it looked perfectly safe.  Then again, I haven't visited Jaurez. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

If you're driving to Texas, your conceal carry permit in Florida applies in Texas.

Also, Is there a list/website of what can and cant be brought over the border (EX: alcohol)

If you're driving to Texas, your conceal carry permit in Florida applies in Texas.

Also, Is there a list/website of what can and cant be brought over the border (EX: alcohol)

This has a great explanation: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/us-customs-service3.htm

Also, this site has a list... http://studenttravel.about.com/od/getontheroad/a/mexicodrive_3.htm

Remember, you can bring back quite a bit -- but you have to declare everything and may have to pay taxes.

Alcohol, for example: you can bring back 1 liter per person over 21 without paying federal taxes. Texas, however, requires you to pay state taxes on any alcohol.

• Content Count:  2,307

so drivers license is all you need to gp to Mexico??   We are planning on going during the day to get some deals on stuff at almost half price

no passport needed.  only valid US photo ID.  we will have beat the new rule changes by about a month

According to a few sites I've seen, Mexico requires proof of citizenship:

Mexico Customs Regulations - Entering Mexico

To enter Mexico, you will need either a valid passport or your original birth certificate along with a valid photo ID such as a drivers license. Citizens other than U.S. or Canadian may have other requirements such as a visa. Please contact a Mexican consulate or embassy near you.

NOTE: If you are entering Mexico by any means other than airlines or cruise ship (see below) and staying for over 72 hours and/or traveling more than 20 miles beyond the border, you will need a Tourist Card.

http://www.mexonline.com/mexcustoms.htm

So we WILL need something besides an ID?

• Content Count:  155

if you are driving to el paso ... let me give you a little more advice..

first off... get an oil change before you go... the west texas desert is a ***** on cars

secondly... do NOT skip a gas station... i dont care if you are "half full"... top off... west texas is 800 miles of litterally NOTHING

do not stop to pick up anyone with a chainsaw

do not leave the main road... you saw "house of 1000 corpses" and "the hills have eyes" right? this isnt a joke... some of those little "towns" out there are sketchy

dont mouth off to any local sherrifs... they make the florida slack jawed yokal sherrifs look progressive and easy going

bring water.... again... you are driving in the desert

bring a blankey. the desert is hot as **** but those nights are COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

bring a telescope... omg the stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will see stars out there that you never thought existed... simply amazing... stunningly beautiful nights

bring a snake bite kit... you dont want to be sucking rattle snake out of your friends ass when he is stupid enough to go piss behind a cactus

dont pick up any gila monsters... they look cute and all, but they are poisonous

dont pick up any women in el paso... many look cute and all, but most of them are poisonous too

• Content Count:  1,066

Well, if you can run jump or swim, then a passport is not needed......Speaking of which, that's why at the 1996 Summer Game sin Atlanta, Mexico did not field a large national team....they were already over here!

• Content Count:  2,363

One more important tip, you can't take your rental car into mexico. And your American auto insurance will not cover you in Mexico. I think there is a trolley that goes from downtown El Paso into central Juarez, near the shopping area.

Some rental car agencies will sell insurance packages that specifically allow travel into Mexico. I got one when I was in SoCal and drove to TJ.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

so drivers license is all you need to gp to Mexico??   We are planning on going during the day to get some deals on stuff at almost half price

no passport needed.  only valid US photo ID.  we will have beat the new rule changes by about a month

According to a few sites I've seen, Mexico requires proof of citizenship:

Mexico Customs Regulations - Entering Mexico

To enter Mexico, you will need either a valid passport or your original birth certificate along with a valid photo ID such as a drivers license. Citizens other than U.S. or Canadian may have other requirements such as a visa. Please contact a Mexican consulate or embassy near you.

NOTE: If you are entering Mexico by any means other than airlines or cruise ship (see below) and staying for over 72 hours and/or traveling more than 20 miles beyond the border, you will need a Tourist Card.

http://www.mexonline.com/mexcustoms.htm

So we WILL need something besides an ID?

Bring your birth cert.  You may need it.  I didn't last time I was there, but that was almost 2 years ago.  All I needed then was an ID card.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

if you are driving to el paso ... let me give you a little more advice..

first off... get an oil change before you go... the west texas desert is a ***** on cars

secondly... do NOT skip a gas station... i dont care if you are "half full"... top off... west texas is 800 miles of litterally NOTHING

do not stop to pick up anyone with a chainsaw

do not leave the main road... you saw "house of 1000 corpses" and "the hills have eyes" right? this isnt a joke... some of those little "towns" out there are sketchy

dont mouth off to any local sherrifs... they make the florida slack jawed yokal sherrifs look progressive and easy going

bring water.... again... you are driving in the desert

bring a blankey. the desert is hot as **** but those nights are COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

bring a telescope... omg the stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will see stars out there that you never thought existed... simply amazing... stunningly beautiful nights

bring a snake bite kit... you dont want to be sucking rattle snake out of your friends ass when he is stupid enough to go **** behind a cactus

dont pick up any gila monsters... they look cute and all, but they are poisonous

dont pick up any women in el paso... many look cute and all, but most of them are poisonous too

Shoot, I am reconsidering. I may stay home, and I don't even know if I can watch it on TV without getting mugged or murdered.

Actually, I am sure this is all good advice, just sounds a bit "glass half empty". Traveling is always interesting, I have been overseas twice and heard the same things, but have had no issues.

I know it happens, and it is better to be safe. Thanks for the info. I will be there with the parents, so probably won't be enjoying the night life so much, sounds like day trips are going to be pretty safe.

• Content Count:  1,297

I walked into Tiajuana last year, at night, and had a blast.  The locals are friendly, and always willing to negotiate prices.  $1 coronas at most bars/clubs.  The police force is not as corrupt as in years past.  They ignored us and didn't harass us in any way.  I even jump bus, with a bunch of locals, and rode from the border to the strip and not once did I feel unsafe.  Just be smart, don't break the law, and don't do anything stupid.......you'll be fine.

Archived