• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Assume USF does get an invite to the Sun Bowl December 31, 2007...

I would...  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

Flights are too expensive and it's too long of a drive.  I want Meineke since Gator is most likely out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  16,389
  • Days Won:  43

Jamie,

How far would the drive be from Dallas to El Paso???

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,638
  • Days Won:  29

Logistics work out better for me on this bowl.

Grothe in "El Pass-Oh!" ... I'll be there !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

And what did I find lying in the driveway this morning?

By BRETT McMURPHY, The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 21, 2007

TAMPA - If the University of South Florida doesn't want to return to the Papajohns.com Bowl

next month, the Bulls only have to do one thing - beat Pittsburgh.

John Folmer, chairman of the Sun Bowl's selection committee, said Monday the Sun Bowl would

select the highest-ranked Big East team available.

And as long as West Virginia beats Connecticut and USF beats Pittsburgh on Saturday, that would

send USF to El Paso, Texas, for the nation's second-oldest bowl.

In Sunday's BCS rankings, UConn was No. 20, USF No. 23 and Cincinnati No. 24, but UConn visits

West Virginia on Saturday. So if USF beats Pittsburgh, the Bulls likely would jump UConn and remain

ahead of Cincinnati, which plays Syracuse.

In that scenario, West Virginia would earn the Big East's BCS berth, leaving the Sun Bowl to pick

from USF, Cincinnati and UConn.

"When the smoke clears, we'll take the highest-ranked team," Folmer said. "At the end of the day,

if we have three 9-3 teams USF, UConn and Cincinnati, which is ranked higher?"

The Gator Bowl has the first option of taking either a Big East or Big 12 team, but Gator Bowl

president Rick Catlett told the Lubbock-Avalanche Journal on Monday that the Gator Bowl would

select Texas Tech.

That leaves the Sun Bowl with the No. 2 selection from the Big East.

"I've been an admirer of what South Florida has accomplished in a very short time," said Wayne

Thornton, Sun Bowl vice president of public relations and member of the bowl's board of directors.

"They have the 'Florida mystique.'"

The Big East representative will face the No. 2 selection from the Pac-10 (after the Pac-10's BCS

teams are picked), which could be USC, Oregon, Cal or Oregon State, on CBS-TV (Dec. 31, 2 p.m.).

If USF loses at Pittsburgh on Saturday, the Bulls likely would be headed back to Birmingham, Ala.,

for the Papajohns.com Bowl.

The Papajohns.com Bowl and International Bowl in Toronto share the final Big East selections, and

it's likely USF would head to Birmingham, while Rutgers would go to Toronto for geographic reasons.

If the Bulls beat Pittsburgh but aren't selected by the Sun Bowl, there is an outside shot they

could go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl, in Charlotte, N.C., which picks after the Sun Bowl. The

Meineke Car Care Bowl's preferable matchup involving USF would be against Florida State.

"That's an intriguing matchup for us," the bowl's executive director, Will Webb, said.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl gets the sixth selection from the Atlantic Coast Conference, however,

and FSU is not expected to be available.

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Oh, I'll be there. And the wife is pretty excited about this option as well.

This has the potential to be a great road trip.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I can't vote because I am a maybe. I'll be angling for a Christmas present that includes the flight to get there. Otherwise, it will depend on who I can get to go with me to split up the rental and hotel costs.

Maybe I should keep the next "pre-approved" credit card thing I get in the mail  ;D

• Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Wow..... I do not think there is any way we could do this one.... Is this a 24 drive?  Wow, I thought there was no way for this bowl... All the Uconn people been saying this was their's....  Oh well if I can't make it we will still pick up some tickets...

• Content Count:  1,457

Looks like New Years would be an exciting time.  A stop over in Las Vegas is absolute.  A stop over at the Grand Canyon is absolute.  I'll just have to find the dough ray me to get it all accomplished.

Will be there with....

Go Bulls

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

As of right now, defintely not.  =/

• Content Count:  1,797

We're there.  Are you kidding me?  Tequila shots and REAL enchiladas.  Carlsbad Caverns for the younguns.  It's a no brainer.

Normal

• Content Count:  21,059
  • Days Won:  38

I would seriously try to find a way to make this happen.

Archived