• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some Reasons to be Really Excited About the Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Hopefully the issues from earlier in the season with getting into the end zone have been worked out and this offense will continue to improve.  Things are shaping up to be an incredible offense for the next few years.  Our best year ever was marquel Blackwell's Senior year. 2002, when we went 9-2.  We were led by Blackwell and Hugh Smith in their senior years and Clenton crossley running in his Soph year.  With 2 games left (i guess for a fair comparison, you can compare raw #s today with the same 3 of games played) it looks like our freshman and sophomore skill players are going beat those numbers easily for the season.  Just think what will be to come when they get into their years as upper classman.

With 2 games to go, here are how the leaders that year stacked up against this year.

2007                                                      2002

Grothe                                                                Blackwell

197 completions                                                    230 Completions

2314 yards                                                          2590 yards

13 passing TDs/9 Rushing TDs                                18 pass Tds/5 Rushing TDs

Mitchell                                                                Hugh Smith

505 yards                                                            640 yards

4 TDS                                                                  5 TDs

15.8 YPC                                                              11.1 YPC

Ford                                                                    Crossley

574 yards                                                              415

10TDs                                                                  3 TDs

4.9 Avg                                                                4.3 Avg

The point is that 2002 was the year most consider our most successful year.  Most of the leaders on that team were seniors having their most productive years at USF.  This year we are being led by freshman and sophomores that are still learning this offense and they will end up being more productive than the players from our best year.  Thsi should be fun the next couple of years.  Hopefully we are rid of our red zone problems and this will be a truly special team in the next couple of years.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm really excited about the direction fo the offense for the next few years, but as for the defense I'm a little worried.  We have a lot of seniors leading the defense.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

also, a big difference between this year and 2002 is the competition is much tougher now.

we are in a BCS conference, beating top-ranked BCS teams (in-conference and OOC), whereas in 2002 our biggest wins were Bowling Green and Southern Piss, and our losses were blowouts at Arkansas and a tough one to a Top 10 Oklahoma in Norman.

as good as that 2002 team was, i dont know if they would have beat Auburn or WVU the way we did this year.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

my only complaint about our offense this year is that it took too long to adjust and add wrinkles to Gregory's 7-page playbook.

it certainly worked out well in the first 6 games, working everybody into a new system with more weapons... but by game 7, midway thru the season, it was time to adjust and we didn't...  until 3 straight losses later.

hopefully the past 2 wins are indicative of those adjustments, and Gregory can pull out 2 more to cap off the season.  Ford really seems to be coming on with the extra looks, and that should open up the pass game for Matt.

i'm confident our offense next year could be our most potent ever... Matt will be a Jr, Ben will be a Sr, and both Mike and Jamar will be sophomores with a year of experience under their belt and a better understanding of the playbook.

not to mention our receivers, with TJ as the senior leader and a talented group of guys with real athleticism and solid hands that should only get better---  Jesse, Mitchell, Bogan....  and i've really liked what i've seen from Ced in the 2nd half of this season.  he has made some solid catches in the clutch to keep drives alive.  i hope we see more of him in the offense for his senior year.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm really excited about the direction fo the offense for the next few years, but as for the defense I'm a little worried.  We have a lot of seniors leading the defense.

The defense will be just fine.  There may be some different schemes and some adjustments, but there is still a lot of expereince with great athletes.  Even the guys that will be replacing the Seniors have a lot of experience.  Roberts and Murphy  have a lot of playing time.  Mompremier moves to the middle, but Spires or the new Juco guy Wilson are good players with lots of playing experience or one of the highly touted LBs from last year come in.  McKenzie and Mompremier are solid.  Robinson will come back bigger and faster at DE giving a compliment to Selvie.  Don't forget.  He was our leading returning sack guy this year. Buie probably comes back bigger and faster.    Harris is already a 2 year starter as a soph.  McClain has been getting decent PT this year,  He is already bigger and faster than Clebert as a True freshman.  The only thing I am worried about is leadership, but I think there is enough experience to overcome that. If the offense keeps coming on, the defense won't need to be as prolific as it has been for us to win games.

• Content Count:  7,503
  • Days Won:  10

Through games this last weekend, we are now ranked 30th in total offense.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Through games this last weekend, we are now ranked 30th in total offense.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org

how bout them apples

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

our Red Zone play calling still needs improvement.  but im glad that we atleast are able to come up with something else other than running grothe 25 times a game

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Skilled positions coming back next year on O:

WR-  Bogan, Mitchell, Hester, Johnson, Love, Alcin, Sherman, Edwards

RB-  Ford, Taylor, Plancher, B. Williams, Samuels

TE-  Ced. Hill, Busbee, Okolie, Ketchel

QB-  Grothe, Gregory

Looking good on O.  We might need to average 36+ next year, with our defense losing some players, but I like our chances. 

Archived