• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Question??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  148
  • Days Won:  0

There is an article on the ESPN college football page where the writer talks about the void of Notre Dame this year in a bowl and what it is doing to rest of the Bowl tie ins.  The article mentions that if the Gator Bowl selects a BE team, it will more than likely be Uconn or Cincy.  The Gator bowl can select a 9-3 team (and if we finish 9-3),does anyone know why ESPN predicts their 1st pick would not be us?  Bowl games come down to attendance and $$.  We're the largest school in the BE and there is a considerably larger distance between Hartford & Jax than Tampa & Jax; there would be a much better turn out than if they selected a Uconn or Cincy team. 

I must be missing something, because they don't even "suppose" the Gator to pick USF & this would appear to be an OBVIOUS no-brainer.......

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

There is an article on the ESPN college football page where the writer talks about the void of Notre Dame this year in a bowl and what it is doing to rest of the Bowl tie ins.  The article mentions that if the Gator Bowl selects a BE team, it will more than likely be Uconn or Cincy.  The Gator bowl can select a 9-3 team (and if we finish 9-3),does anyone know why ESPN predicts their 1st pick would not be us?  Bowl games come down to attendance and $$.  We're the largest school in the BE and there is a considerably larger distance between Hartford & Jax than Tampa & Jax; there would be a much better turn out than if they selected a Uconn or Cincy team. 

I must be missing something, because they don't even "suppose" the Gator to pick USF & this would appear to be an OBVIOUS no-brainer.......

why is it a no brainer>? How many fans have traveled to our previous bowl games, sure we had a nice crowd drive down to FAU, but we were #5 in the country then.

• Content Count:  148
  • Days Won:  0

We're new to this, but I see a lot more this year making it to Jax than on the flip side from Hartford to Jax or Cincy to Jax.  I don't know if the FAU game is the best example, I think a lot of people thought it would be a shilacking.  Going out on a limb but if we play a top 20 team or even a Big 12 team in Jax, the turnout would be better than its ever been by far.  This is an odd year, because its the 1st year when we picked up band wagoners and the Alumni in certain spots Nationally made themselves visible.

If the Bowl committee is concerned primarily with two ranked teams, and we don't get back in, then so be it.  But take Cincy, 17,000 or so students, we probably have more Alumni living in Jax than the number of fans who would make that trip. 

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I have an unreleated Bowl question regarding the 08-09 bowl season next year. Since the Big East gets the Texas Bowl back next year does that mean we have six bowl tie ins next year or does the Car Care Bowl go elsewhere like last year with Navy? Jim or whoever knows....I couldn't find any info about contracts for next year.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,753
  • Days Won:  3

I would believe that the BE would opt out of one of the other current bowls in lieu of the Tejas Bowl (should that come to fruition). Just digging around, this was the galleryfurniture.com bowl, the Houston Bowl. And here's this :

Conference USA is guaranteed a spot in the Texas Bowl in Houston during the 2007 and 2009 seasons.

So...if the Big East does have that association and DOES NOT drop the Pizza Bowl we would double our oppotunities to play a CUSA team in post-season, right? I couldn't find anything related to the 2008 affiliations.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

one thing to remember about who they pick is hotel impact. How many of our fans would simply drive up to the game on game day and then turn around and head home? We could bring a huge crowd versus the UConn/Cinci guys-- bt they will use hotels almost entirely whereas USF fans would be less likely to need that.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone have an idea as to when we can expect to hear any announcement about a bowl game?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

unlikely until aroudn Dec 2nd is my guess

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

UCONN is a possibility.  Cincy?  Aren't they one of the worst travelling groups of fans?  How many fans of theirs travelled to the USF game this year?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

UCONN is a possibility.  Cincy?  Aren't they one of the worst travelling groups of fans?  How many fans of theirs travelled to the USF game this year?

How many of our fans traveled there last year?

They do not historically travel well.  I expect that if either team were playing a name opponent in the Gator Bowl that they would bring decent #s, but doubt either school would sell their allotment.  Either team in the PJC would not bring as many.

Archived