• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Question??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

one thing to remember about who they pick is hotel impact. How many of our fans would simply drive up to the game on game day and then turn around and head home? We could bring a huge crowd versus the UConn/Cinci guys-- bt they will use hotels almost entirely whereas USF fans would be less likely to need that.

Good point, I guess the kickoff time would be a factor in this too.  In other words an 11 AM kickoff would mean our fans would most likely need a hotel room the night before or a 8 PM kickoff means we would need one that night.  Some things to consider.

• Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

one thing to remember about who they pick is hotel impact. How many of our fans would simply drive up to the game on game day and then turn around and head home? We could bring a huge crowd versus the UConn/Cinci guys-- bt they will use hotels almost entirely whereas USF fans would be less likely to need that.

Good point, I guess the kickoff time would be a factor in this too.  In other words an 11 AM kickoff would mean our fans would most likely need a hotel room the night before or a 8 PM kickoff means we would need one that night.  Some things to consider.

Gator bowl kicks off at 1:00pm New Years Day.

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

I would believe that the BE would opt out of one of the other current bowls in lieu of the Tejas Bowl (should that come to fruition). Just digging around, this was the galleryfurniture.com bowl, the Houston Bowl. And here's this :

Conference USA is guaranteed a spot in the Texas Bowl in Houston during the 2007 and 2009 seasons.

So...if the Big East does have that association and DOES NOT drop the Pizza Bowl we would double our oppotunities to play a CUSA team in post-season, right? I couldn't find anything related to the 2008 affiliations.

The Big East has Texas Bowl for 2008, giving the league 6 bowls. The opponent would be a Big12 school not CUSA

I have an unreleated Bowl question regarding the 08-09 bowl season next year. Since the Big East gets the Texas Bowl back next year does that mean we have six bowl tie ins next year or does the Car Care Bowl go elsewhere like last year with Navy? Jim or whoever knows....I couldn't find any info about contracts for next year.

Yes. Next year, the Big East will have six bowl tie-ins.  We had six last year, except the Mieneke Car Care Bowl signed a 1-yr option with Navy so they took the midshipmen.

I think we all assume things about bowl games... hotel rooms sold... butts in seats... etc.  To be honest, I think bowl games want the best product for television.  They get the most $$ from their big sponsors who get commercials during the broadcast.

Which may be part of the reason why they are looking at the Big East even with the prospect of having to take a Big 12 team for two years.  That contract could be re-negotiated with the Big 12 and Sun Bowl during the off-season.  Moreover, the Big 12 might not get two BCS teams next year, allowing the Gator Bowl to move up.

Personally, I think it could be worth the risk to wait... one of the next two years (but absolutely not this year) they could get Texas or Oklahoma.

So, would a USF - BC matchup be better for TV than, say, BC vs Oklahoma State? or Virginia-Texas A&M?  At least USF will be a Top 20 program if it wins out.  That has to have some appeal.

Archived