• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quick Blurb from MT on Big East expansion...

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Will this EVER be solved?

I fail to see a problem. The BIG EAST is an elite basketball league, and is proving it belongs amongst the BCS football leagues. Not all the schools sponsor football teams, but so what? I see no reason to throw Georgetown, Notre Dame, Villanova, Marquette, etc. under the bus over some misguided notion that everybody should play football. Especially considering who we'd have to invite into the league to accomplish that goal. The Big East's situation is unique, but so is its history.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Will this EVER be solved?

I fail to see a problem. The BIG EAST is an elite basketball league, and is proving it belongs amongst the BCS football leagues. Not all the schools sponsor football teams, but so what? I see no reason to throw Georgetown, Notre Dame, Villanova, Marquette, etc. under the bus over some misguided notion that everybody should play football. Especially considering who we'd have to invite into the league to accomplish that goal. The Big East's situation is unique, but so is its history.

Picking up on Gary's point, would the league be better respected by having Southern Miss, Marshall, UCF and ECU in it for all sports?  One there is no added revenue but now more mouths to feed, and there is no prestige to it. 

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Here would be the most ideal situations, in order (none of which are likely to happen):

1.  Notre Dame brings their football into the Big East.

2.  One of the non-football playing schools leave and the Big East brings in another BCS school for all sports with a strong football program (ie Penn State, Florida State).

3.  One of the non-football playing schools leave and the Big East brings in another BCS school for all sports with decent football and basketball programs (ie Maryland, Georgia Tech).

2.  One of the non-football playing schools leave and the Big East brings in another BCS school for all sports with a strong basketball program (ie North Carolina).

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

big east seems to be doing fine the way it is

villanova/georgetown would be terrible additions

• Content Count:  4,642

let's not add some garbage teams just to add schedules.

when does the current BE contracts with non-football teams expire?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Miami has diminished their brand in a "traditional" southern college football conference such as the ACC.  This has been compounded by a downturn in talent and shaky coaching and will be further compounded by their move to Joe Robbie Stadium (I know it's changed names several times - screw you, I'm old and stubborn).  I predict they will have a hard time recovering in the ACC.

They should be approached by the Big East to rejoin in a few years.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Seriously add Georgetown or Nova? That would be worse than adding UCF or ECU.

I still don't believe the basketball schools will still with the football schools, the league is too big and you're going to have teams like Cuse last year shut out of the NCAAs because of it.

I also think the BCS could force expansion to at least 10 teams in 2010 for the new contract.

We'll see.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The BE has absolutely NO interest in adding CDOA leftovers at this time.

EVERY single interview (they had one with the associate commish yesterday) states they will only think about adding a team if it will IMPROVE the conference (ie: another bcs team).

I predict the BE will do nothing.  It seems to be working out fine, imo.  We have an easier road to BCS than a 12 team league, less teams to compete with, also more $$$ to split up with 8 teams.

Unless someone mandates the BE expands, they will keep the status quo.  Get used to it, you might enjoy this conference as is.

• Content Count:  4,738

Miami has diminished their brand in a "traditional" southern college football conference such as the ACC.  This has been compounded by a downturn in talent and shaky coaching and will be further compounded by their move to Joe Robbie Stadium (I know it's changed names several times - screw you, I'm old and stubborn).  I predict they will have a hard time recovering in the ACC.

They should be approached by the Big East to rejoin in a few years.

Penn State is a good fit too.  I say get both and get rid of two bball schools

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

I think Notre Dang's NBC contract expires in 2 years.

Granted, not likely ... but you gotsta hope  8)

Archived