• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone really believe that we're the 6th best team in the country?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  145
  • Days Won:  0

I like that we have the opportunity to "ride the wave" and I think its childish the way so many around the nation have taken the opportunity to slam USF, but does anyone seriously believe that there are only 5 teams out there that could beat us?  Did anyone really believe that Kentucky was the 8th best team in the country?

What are there, 119 Div 1-A (or whatever they call it now) teams out there?  Based upon our games so far, I *might* put us in the top 20 if I really started looking at it on a team by team basis, but I think I could pretty easily come up with a dozen teams that would be likely to beat us.  We've clearly gotten some good breaks and good bounces in both the Auburn and WVU games.  Those bounce the other way and we're looking at 2-2 rather than 4-0. 

I'm enjoying the moment, but I've been hesitant to get too wrapped up in looking ahead.  We've still got FAU, UCF, Rutgers, UConn, Cincy, Cuse, UL and Pitt and I really don't think we're going to keep getting the lucky breaks, on a consistent basis, for 8 more games.  We can probably get through a couple unlucky bounces in a couple of those games, but we need to be near flawless against Cincy, Rutgers and maybe UL or we're going to find ourselves back in reality.

Based on what we've seen...yes...I agree with 6th in the Nation. 

Our defense will keep us in all of our games...and I think we can all agree that our offense has yet to show the consitency we want to see.  I have a feeling we start to see some of that take shape this Saturday...unless heavy rains show up all game.

I just don't want to see a big game come down to a FG attempt for us!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  115

No, we are not the 6th best, we are better than that... We have beaten some high quality teams, and have yet to play our best game.  That is the sign of a great team, winning when you don’t have your best stuff.  I am blown away at some of the questions that OUR fans ask.  Makes it a blast to sign in and read posts every day.  I never have a problem defending our program to other fans, but its pretty strange defending our guys to OUR fan base.   ???

• Content Count:  2,523

I think there are two things at work here.  

1)  Is the #6 ranking appropriate for this season as it is right now

2)  Are we playing like a #6 team historically has?

See what I mean?

1)  Yes, we deserve to be @ #6 bc the chips have fallen as they have and our wins stack up with anyones.

2)  No, if you look at most teams who were #6 from the past ten years, they probably were more complete teams than what we've shown SO FAR.

• Content Count:  115

I am pretty sure a BIG game already came down to a FG attempt for us, Delbert has obviously been horible this year, but he did hit the game tying field goal at Auburn with 50 ticks on the clock after missing 4 previous attempts... That is probably the most difficult kick that cat will have in his career.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

We're about 1/3 of the way through the season and - to be honest - we did sort of back

into the #6 slot, not necessarily as much as what we've done, but also for what other

teams failed to do (win!). Had half the top ten teams not lost last weekend (well...except

for that ONE team), I don't think we'd be sitting at #6.

• Content Count:  145

I am pretty sure a BIG game already came down to a FG attempt for us, Delbert has obviously been horible this year, but he did hit the game tying field goal at Auburn with 50 ticks on the clock after missing 4 previous attempts... That is probably the most difficult kick that cat will have in his career.  

LOL...ok...re-phrase that...a big attempt of 35 yards or more in our remaining games...

• Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

Well we did back into the #6 spot but it isn't our fault that everyone else lost.  It's up to us now and if we keep winning we are going to be right in there.

• Content Count:  66

I think there are two things at work here. 

1)  Is the #6 ranking appropriate for this season as it is right now

2)  Are we playing like a #6 team historically has?

See what I mean?

1)  Yes, we deserve to be @ #6 bc the chips have fallen as they have and our wins stack up with anyones.

2)  No, if you look at most teams who were #6 from the past ten years, they probably were more complete teams than what we've shown SO FAR.

That is a really good way of phrasing it. Based on everyone's record right now, who should be #6 if not USF? Sure we did "back in" to #6 but had OK, Rutgers and UF won, where would we be? #10?

We have had some big wins but we have not played a truly complete game yet (eg Louisville in 2005). In my opinion, the Bulls at their best can beat any Div I-A team in the country.

--Joey

• Content Count:  86

If you ask a person who says USF shouldn't be in the top 10 what teams should be in the top 10..almost all of them won't give you a response,  their response is, "Well, I dunno, I just know USF shouldn't be in the top 10".

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

the important part is that we are in the 6th slot

and we can keep and or improve upon that by gettingthe job done on the field. Are we that good? THe defense seems up to the task. THe jury is still out on the offense. We have plenty of opportunities to prove ourselves all season long. If we pass those tests-- then yes-- we are that good. Any slip up though and we will plummet out of the top ten short of losing to someone ranked higher.

Archived