• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Campus - 10 Years

Economics_Nerd82

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

As stated above, it will always be somewhat of a commuter school. But if you don't want tons of people going home, you have to stop accepting the locals that apply here as if it is community college. I think the key to building a college atmosphere is having kids who should be in college. admission criteria has to go up.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

As stated above, it will always be somewhat of a commuter school. But if you don't want tons of people going home, you have to stop accepting the locals that apply here as if it is community college. I think the key to building a college atmosphere is having kids who should be in college. admission criteria has to go up.

Well, the problem is: if you graduate from a community college you are guaranteed admission to at least one state university. So, if you go to HCC and get a degree and you apply to USF, you're in. Which, for all intents and purposes, is a commuter school. This is state law, so, no way around it.

However, with our 4 hours of advertising we have every Saturday I think we can attract more out of state students.

• Content Count:  3,574

I think the key to building a college atmosphere is having kids who should be in college. admission criteria has to go up.

They've been going up...

• Content Count:  400

i disagree with this, kinda.  i dont think the we are a commuter school because of our low admissions standards.  i think we are naturally a commuter school because of our location.  i remember applying to colleges and seeing some REALLY NOT SO SMART kids i knew getting into Auburn.  I remember looking at their application and it looked like a sign up sheet for Hoop-It-Up or something.  1 page, 2 sided.. that's it.. no essay, nothing.  I dont know if that's changed, but Auburn was kind of a joke to get into (granted, they jacked up tuition for out of staters, which was probably the catch) but AU definitely isn't a commuter school.  Same with FSU.. FSU was easy to get into, that's not a commuter school.  i think our location (and our history) kinda makes it inevitable.  I dont mind our low admissions rate.. more students = more money for the school.

this doesn't mean we can't have a great on-campus feel, though.  there will always be people commuting from home, it WILL happen.  however, if we can accomodate more kids on campus, it will liven up the campus throughout the week.  also, an on campus stadium would do wonders.  after this weekend, UCF did a lot in terms of shedding their on campus image.  the new marshall center will have restaurants, that will help.  but like i said, we need more kids on campus to actually stick around and GO to these places in order for us to not look like a commuter school.  also, does anyone know why we don't have a greek row?  the greek village thing is kinda gay.  i'm not a frat dude, but a greek row/sorority row really adds to the campus beautification.

• Content Count:  478

i disagree with this, kinda.  i dont think the we are a commuter school because of our low admissions standards.  i think we are naturally a commuter school because of our location.  i remember applying to colleges and seeing some REALLY NOT SO SMART kids i knew getting into Auburn.  I remember looking at their application and it looked like a sign up sheet for Hoop-It-Up or something.  1 page, 2 sided.. that's it.. no essay, nothing.  I dont know if that's changed, but Auburn was kind of a joke to get into (granted, they jacked up tuition for out of staters, which was probably the catch) but AU definitely isn't a commuter school.  Same with FSU.. FSU was easy to get into, that's not a commuter school.  i think our location (and our history) kinda makes it inevitable.  I dont mind our low admissions rate.. more students = more money for the school.

this doesn't mean we can't have a great on-campus feel, though.  there will always be people commuting from home, it WILL happen.  however, if we can accomodate more kids on campus, it will liven up the campus throughout the week.  also, an on campus stadium would do wonders.  after this weekend, UCF did a lot in terms of shedding their on campus image.  the new marshall center will have restaurants, that will help.  but like i said, we need more kids on campus to actually stick around and GO to these places in order for us to not look like a commuter school.  also, does anyone know why we don't have a greek row?  the greek village thing is kinda gay.  i'm not a frat dude, but a greek row/sorority row really adds to the campus beautification.

umm yeah the duplexes ( i mean greek housing) is a long long long story that goes back about 25 years. I don't have time to type everything out that explains why they look like they do. basically admin went for quanity and not quality and screwed up and built 12 (i think) "houses" for 19 million bucks. The athletic center cost 22 million and thats ONE building. So that should give you an idea of how cheaply they are built. They wanted a greek park and didn't have the money to do it right - and didn't want the greeks to build off campus for a lot of reasons - power and money being 2 of them - safety being a distant 3rd.

So we got duplexes. They are not houses they are not quite dorms. Thats the bad news. The good news is that they can be used as special interest housing in a few years. They are large and "cute" buildings (for lack of a better term) that will be good for programs like the entrepreneurial program or the honors college or something like that.  And lord knows we need living-learning communities. If USF wants to BE a R1 university that does not only exist on paper - they will invest in programs like that and let greek organizations figure out their own housing arrangements.  You don't see universities like Michigan or UNC wasting money on building a greek row. 

I agree a nice greek row would add to campus beautification - but I really don't think USF should waste anymore $$$$ in that area. We have more important things to work on.

We don't have a Greek Row in the traditional sense because the school paid for it and had it built.  Thus, we get various buildings that all look exactly the same...  I think the Greeks should get some land and build their own houses. There is some open land on campus, maybe the university can sell it to them at a good price.

I think this would do wonders to cast off the commuter school image and bring a uniqueness to campus.

• Content Count:  1,251

where is that campus design map that will show what the school will look like in ten years????

Archived