• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today's Official OCS thread/FAU unveils drawing of stadium

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

I am scarred :o

Blame it on Glazer.

He's the one doing the spanking.

It's all his fault.

Everything wrong in the world comes back to him...............even "Global Warming."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I kinda think the argument that "construction costs are increasing every day" is weak.

Tell you what. With those lottery winnings I mentioned before, I'll also buy a few construction companies. That way, I'll save money from paying another construction company to build the OCS, because the ones I own will do it at cost. With the saved money, we'll shoot for a few Jumbotrons and chairbacks. Hell, we'll definitely need a floor of suites dedicated to the Bull Backers, complete with rows of computers on the back wall so that bullspen posting and blogging about the game can happen in realtime.

Everyone cool?  8)

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

All right you Ray Jay loving pansies, I've got to hit the recording studio pretty early tomorrow, so I'm off to hit the hay...until then, I leave you with some stringy haired wisdom...

Love is a wonderful thing.

Chairbacks are overrated.

How am I supposed to live without...an on campus stadium?

And, I need about a lifetime to relax (if you catch this one, you are good)!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

At least Michael Bolton is funny.  MAB, you could stand to pipe down and learn a little..

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Can we finally lock this thing?  Pretty sure this started as a FAU stadium thread........Sorry all of you OCS people, you'll have to wait another couple days to start another one.

• Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  2

I'm taking my gyrating purple hippo and going to bed.

I think that this sums up the whole thread.  See ya! :)

Good post Nukebull... a couple of things.

USF started football from scratch about 15 years ago with an unprecedented idea that the team would not start until they had raised enough money. There was an article about this in Sports Illustrated and it went into the failure and struggle of UCif and UAB to start with little money and raise on the fly. [glow=yellow,2,300]The start of the program was brought about by the purchase of the Buccaneers by the Glazer family; the Culverhouses where huge donors to USF and had said that they did not want competition for football in Tampa.[/glow] Most of the large money donors gave large onetime gifts and yearly gifts to reach the goal of starting the team. You see that has created a team that has developed like no other team ever.

Not entirely true.  USF started the process several years before the Bucs were sold to the Glazers.  When USF was founded, then President John Allen was determined to have no athletics at all -- USF was to be an academic only institution.  Pressure from students created the athletics programs... In the early 1990's, then President Frank Borkowski started realizing the positive impacts a football program can bring (traditional college environment, marketing, etc). 

A feasibility committee actually commissioned a study that said it was possible, but the UCF and UAB examples were used.  Borkowski said USF has to raise an endowment of $5 million before even ASKING the Board of Regents for permission, and $5 million more before the team could play.  That $10 million endowment was meant to help cover the operational costs of the program.

The Glazers do not own the stadium nor do they get it for free [glow=yellow,2,300]they pay $375,000 a game to play there[/glow]; if USF paid that we could probably do a lot more I think we now pay $100,000 maybe a little more per game. The stadium was voted on by the taxpayers of Tampa and passed in an open ballot.

Yes, they pay $375,000 per game.  However, the other lease terms are the problems.  The Bucs get every penny of permanent advertising inside and outside the stadium, including the $38 million naming rights (over 13 years).  They get the first $2 million of parking and concession sales from every non-Buc event and every penny from Buc events.  They also get every penny of luxury box sales (USF does sell tickets to the boxes, so gets the ticket sale money).

The stadium was only a small part ($168 million) of the Community Investment Tax (several billion over the 30 years of collecting the tax.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

The lovefest between MAB and Michael B. kind of reminds one of Hermie and JoeBulls, and Reuben.

Very astute.

The initials are a dead giveaway .... among other things.

Archived