• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Laptop Repairs

outrunner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I just damaged my laptop. The body part that houses everything is fine, but I damaged the screen (85% functional). I was just wondering if anyone had some experience/advice on the matter.

Where could I go to get it fixed that is affordable, reliable, and safe?

Do I need a whole new system, or can they just replace the screen?

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

The screen can be replaced on its own... but laptop repairs are incredibly expensive. It's one of the few products where it actually makes sense to buy the extended warranty from the store. One repair can cost about as much as the computer is worth.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I'm no expert, but when a screen goes out, my company purchases new and destroys old. 

I had a $550 Compaq computer and the power would not come on right.  Took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  After testing power cords, they said the minimum charge to ship it out, open it up and fix would be $400 and it was best to buy a new one.  It was only 1.5 years old.  Granted, they sell laptops, but I just got a new one and moved on.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If it is just the screen, you can look for one on eBay and replace it yourself.  Screen replacement isn't usually very difficult.  You'll probably have to Google for the instructions.  Some power related problems can be fixed by a local tech guy with a soldering iron.  There are ads on eBay for people that will do this for $75 or so.

If your laptop works at all, you'll probably want to get a backup of the hard drive before attempting any repairs yourself or having cheap repairs made.  There's a fair chance it'll be ruined beyond repair.  On the other hand, you can save yourself a bunch of money if it works. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

I just damaged my laptop. The body part that houses everything is fine, but I damaged the screen (85% functional). I was just wondering if anyone had some experience/advice on the matter.

I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop screen but it was still under warranty. They refered me to a place in Hyde Park. It was in and out in 3 days but don't know what the cost would have been if not covered. If you want name of place, let me know.

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

The extra service is worth it. I just had a conversation with Dell tonight. My headphone adapter is on the fritz so they are replacing the motherboard, I also mentioned a dead spot on my monitor and they are sending a new LCD screen. These are being overnighted to a service tech and they will be installed free. I forget what the service agreement cost but in looking back it was well worth it.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I had a problem with my Toshiba laptop screen but it was still under warranty. They refered me to a place in Hyde Park. It was in and out in 3 days but don't know what the cost would have been if not covered. If you want name of place, let me know.

Get the extended warranty before the existing one runs out.  Toshiba's quality has dramatically declined over the years, the one I'm typing on right now will be my last once its extended warranty expires.  I've had MANY repairs on this thing, and am over it.

• Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

When I first got my Toshiba it had to be replaced within a few months after taking it in over 3 times!!  Good thing, I had warranty and bad thing was that I had to pay it all over again because I got a bad computer that I thought was good.  Never will I buy a Toshiba again...EVER.  My new brand is hP and it has had some work done, but it is over 2 yrs old.  My warranty runs out in Oct and I don't plan on renewing it.  I'd rather buy a new one then pay $300-$400 warranty on the old one I have.

Outrunner, you can try Best Buy, but they are super expensive.  If not just go on the yellow pages and call a few businesses near you and pick one.

-Mag Pie

• Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Stop being cheap. You can buy a sweet HP from the HP website. It's cheaper than best buy and circuit city....free shipping and good upgrades.

After you get done saving all that cash from buying and HP direct, send some my way so I can stop being cheat too!!

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

One morning in Iraq I went pee pee on the keyboard of my laptop.  I found a website that sold HP laptop parts and replaced the computers keyboard myself since it wouldn't work after it got all that urine on it.  Just had to wait a few days for them to ship it to my APO.  I am still using that computer today! ;D

Archived