• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN Prediction: 7-5... USF = BE's Biggest Dissappointment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Barring any unforeseen nightmares (which I won't even begin to mention) I see 7-5 as a WORST case scenario. Obviously, best case scenario would be 12-0 or 11-1. While these records are not highly likely, they are possible if things go our way. UNC's team is NOT going to be a world-beater this year. It will take two to three years for Butch to make a difference there. We will NOT lose to UCONN this season. They have one great player on the offensive side of the ball (Brown). Just look at the way we handled them last season. If there were a blizzard in October, I would be worried. But we are catching them early enough that an afternoon game should be played in the 50 to 60 degree weather, assuming the game is played during the day.

My prediction for this season:

Home Wins: Elon, UNC, UCiF, Cincy, and one of WVU/UofL

Road Wins: FAU, Rutgers, UCONN, Cuse, and one of PITT/Auburn

10-2.

While that may be slightly optomistic, I do not see us worse than 8-4, and think that 9-3 or 10-2 is the most likely record. Remember, besides the flat cold weather games at Cincy and U of L, we played everyone else tough on the road last year, barely losing to Kansas in a game we should have won, beating UCiF, slaughtering UNC, and upending WVU. The cold weather factor is the only reason the PITT game worries me. Hopefully, I will bring some warm Florida weather up to Pittsburgh for that game. I just can't wait for this season, I wish today was August 31st!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an objective point of view, I can see where they are coming from on WVU and UL... If not for the Robsinon/Selvie play, USF loses last year in Morgantown.  Moreover, Rod Smith and Greg Frey could give WVU some 'pointers' on how to work our defense... they faced our every day in practice.

Two years ago, Brohm and Louisville outgained USF -- and if not for a few turnovers and a great kick return for a touchdown, that game would have been closer.  Then last year the Cardinals kicked our butts.  USF could easily lose both of these games.

Rutgers still has Ray Rice, which is nothing to sneeze at.  Yes, Teel is an average QB and our defense is strong.  But playing a road game on national TV on f-days rest will not be easy.

Pitt - Well, it is a cold-weather road game, which is not a good sign for USF.  Their defense is average, a good pass rush but small DL, brand new LBs, and small DBS (only 2 of their top 6 are taller than 6').  On offense, they have new QB, good RBs and WRs and a decent OL... but we pushed them around last year.  Since it's the last game of our year, and their 11th game, the team should gel... if the game were in September, I'd say USF all the way, but it's possible for USF to lose this one, too.

There is no way I see USF losing to UConn.  Not this year... the Huskies have too many questions.

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I think that's a good prediction ^ ^ ^

I'd rank our games ("easiest" to hardest)

12. Elon

11. @FAU

10. @Syracuse

9. @UConn

8. UCF

7. UNC

6. @Pitt

5. Cinci

4. @Rutgers

3. Louisville

2. West Virginia

1. @Auburn

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

USF's talent level is on par with BE elite.

Everyone was predicting 5-7 or 6-6 last year, and I said 8-4, and I was dead on.  Go back and check last year's prediction threads.

I say 10-2 this year.  Mark it down.  No way this team loses 5 games unless it implodes or is hit by serious injuries.

USF will not lose to both wVU and UL.  They haven't the last 2 years with worse teams, why would they this year with both games at home and a better team.  CFN didn't do their homework, we are good for at least one if not 2 wins against top 20 teams.  Gauranteed.

One loss to either WVU/UL.

One loss to another team (Pitt/RU)

I see us pulling the shocker at AU, but even if we lose, I see 9-3 at worse.

Pull this thread out at the end of the year for all the naysayers.    

Actually CFN said 8-4 last year too...

Not sure about a 10-2 season yet, it's defintily possible, but there is a lot of good teams in the BE. The schedule is much much harder than last year. I don't see UNC and UCF being near as bad. What makes me hesitate to predict 10-2 is the fact that even with the WVU win, we weren't worldbeaters on the road. Kansas was a terrible loss, Cincy put it to us, Louisville dominated. I just want to see this team play with some consistency on the road.

I think we'll have a 9-3; 8-4 type year with a lot of improvement offensively. What worries me on defense is the loss of 2 of our better linebackers and inexpirience with our depth on the front line.

The biggest reason I'm hesitate to say we're a 10-2 team is the fact that we play so many big games early. Auburn, UNC, and WVU weeks 2-4. That's a tough stretch for a young team.

Joe, I meant people on this board were predicting 5-7/6-6.  A lot of that was based on the unknown - QB play.  People thought PJ would start or didn't know how good Grothe was.

I don't see the schedule any harder than last year.  Both WVU and UL are at home, instead of on road like last year.  That is huge, and makes up for the fact we go to AU, imo.  Let's not get carried away with UNC.  They were a very, VERY bad team last year.  Sure, Butch Davis is there, but he isn't going to turn a horrible team into an ACC contender overnight.  I like USF at home.  The rest of the non conference schedule, I expect us to win hands down.  My guess is that we will win the FAU/UCF games by 14-21 points each.  I could definetely see us blowing out UCF at home like 2 years ago, although those games could be competitive for a while too.  

Road conference games, RU and Pitt worry me a little.  I am pretty confident in saying RU will be another barnburner like last year, we could win or lose that one.  I say we win one of those 2.

AU - Well, most would predict a loss.  I know that this is going to be a competitive game.  Remember 2 years ago, we walked into PSU, which turned out to be a top 5 team, I believe.  With a mediocre team at best, with PJ at QB, and it was very competitive.  I see a very hardfought close game at AU.  Sure we could lose by 10-14, but the optimist in me says we pull out win.  So I stand by my prediction of 10-2.  I also could see us going 9-3, 8-4 at the very, very worst.  No way do I see a 7-5 team, unless things happen that we don't forsee now: injuries, implosion, etc.  Of course we could go the other way and have a magical 11-1 season, but that isn't very likely either.  Not yet, anyway.    

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'd put @ Rutgers above WVU and UL. Road games against ranked teams are always much tougher for us, especially since it will be a nationally televised game.

• Content Count:  12,472
  • Days Won:  25

IF the front five on both sides of the ball play well - 10-2.

IF Grothe is injured - 8-4.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Remember CFN undervalued the Bulls for years and years (consistently predicting losing records in the I-AA and I-A independent years), so last year could have just been the blind squirrel finding a nut.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I think that's a good prediction ^ ^ ^

I'd rank our games ("easiest" to hardest)

12. Elon

11. @FAU

10. @Syracuse

9. @UConn

8. UCF

7. UNC

6. @Pitt

5. Cinci

4. @Rutgers

3. Louisville

2. West Virginia

1. @Auburn

12. Elon

11. @FAU

10.  UCF (FAU might actually be a closer game, since it is on road)

9.  UNC

8.  @Syracuse

7.  @UConn

6.  Cincy

5.  @Pitt

4.  Louisville (we always play UL good at home).

3.  @Rutgers

2.  WVU

1.  @AU  

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Pulpit? Very worst only 7-5?

Ask teams like Tennessee (2005 started the season ranked 3rd) how bad things can get. Or K-State in 2004. Not to be ants at a picnic, but USF is far from being able to say we're 7-5 at worst.

I agree, I don't get the UConn loss, and I just don't see UNC improving that much under Butch Davis this year. They have a lot of talent, but it is very young. I also don't see Cuse standing a chance I see us as 8-4/9-3. Losses to a combo of Rutgers, Louisville, WVU, Pitt, Auburn, and UCF.

However, even without key injuries (knock on wood) 7-5 at worst is wearing the green and gold goggles.

• Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think there is any way the Bulls lose six games.  It just won't happen.

That being said, the real key to any team's season is the lines, and in USF's case, the offensive line.  It looks like the skill position talent is finally becoming balanced and potent in all facets, running and throwing.  But the line will be the ones who decides if the offense has enough time to move the ball around.  What do you think of the O-line this year?

Archived