• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Football 08

Guest Sprtsfn627

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Bullish, I think you went "homer" on a few of your ratings, but overall, looks solid.

Needless to say, I'm very distressed about this roster thing. It looks as if the creators of the game went "lazy" on the USF defensive roster. Not much leeway for us that want to add/edit players.

• Content Count:  261

Please help me out. Where did I go homer on the ratings and why was this thread moved?????????????????

• Content Count:  69

Bullish, your ratings are very close to mine. We think alike. Here is something I consider when doing ratings ...

1. Guys usually go up around 5 pts. per year. There are exceptions, sure. So where does that put the player by his senior year?

2. By that same formula, if a player progresses to the mid to upper 90's by his senior year, he should be a household name in college football, not just around Tampa. Example, if Selvie goes any higher than 85 this year, he would progress to 95-99 by his senior year. That says to me: one of the most dominant players in college football. I don't know if he has that kind of talent - yet. I'd need to see 5-10 sacks this year out of him.

3. Incoming freshmen are very tricky. Kinda got to compare them to the 5-star recruits around the country. The TOP incoming freshmen are usually between 80-85. We think Ford is a god around here (5-star according to Rivals). He only got an 80. I kinda use this formula 5-star: 80-85 ... 4-star: 75-79 ... 3-star: 70-74 ... 2-star: 65-69 ... 1-star: 60-64. I put Samuels as a 72 because he's a redshirt and has likely picked up some awareness, strength. You have him at 75. He was a 2-star according to Rivals that year, and only a second-team all-state in 2005. I need to see him do something before I start moving him up any higher. Again, that is just me.

Are you playing the 360 version because some of the ratings you described I don't even HAVE on the PS2.

Shoop, I won't stop tinkering with the USF rosters for a couple more weeks. I'd like to tinker all the way up to Sept. 1 because we'll have a better idea on depth charts at that time, but I also can't wait that long to start my dynasty. So then I'll just go with what I have.

BTW, does any other sicko like me have to name all the head coaches before starting a dynasty? Sometimes I swear I just create more work for myself.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Im getting NCAA probably tomorrow

does it have the create a player feature on 360??

• Content Count:  57

Maybe I'm insecure about the developers of this game, but anytime you have UCF grads rating our team, you have to review it. Here are my "tweaks" as follows....please do give feedback

QB

Grothe - 88 is fine. However, I edited his importance to 94 and play recognition to 78

Gregory - edited to 75 and had him meet with Michael Jackson's dermatologist

Voss - rating is fine

FB

Padilla - I rated him down 4 points due lack of play in past seasons

Kelly -  70

RB

Planchar - rated him down 81

Samuels - added and rated him at 75

Ford - rated at 80

BBQ - rating is fine

Cannon - rating is fine

WR

Amarri - rating is fine

Taurus Johnson - bumped him to an 84. He was the second most productive wr last year. I also increase his elusiveness, BCV and shake ability due to his ability to run wr reverses with success (3 rustds @ wr)

Marcus Edwards - 77

Denson - 75

C. Mittchell - 74

Carlton Hill - 76

All other receivers were fine

OL

I bumped Huners up by 3 points and Dile and Walker up by 2 in addition to giving the rest of the linemen a bump 1 for just returning. The OL unit gave 2.85 sacks a game last year.

USF's was ranked in the top 15 with 37 sacks last year.

Selvie gets an 87 (wanna rate him 89, but I wont). As a D-lineman, the guy had 84 tackles (56 were solo) on top of 5.5 sacks, 14 TFLs, 2 frs and 4 ff. I also increased his pursuit and play recognition. 14 TFLs for lost as a sophomore is a **** good. He played better than Julmiste.

Buie - rating is fine

A. Harris - 74

Clebert - I believe his rating is cool

Cray - I bumped him 2 points and slightly increased his pursuit and play recognition based on his 06 stats.

I moved C Rob to DE...well actually he'll be playing both positions, but his main home will be on the line.

LBs

Moffitt - His ratings shows the lack of detail EA sports showed. I gave Moffitt an 88. I increased his play recognition, hit power and pursuit.

McKenzie - Rated as a 76 in last year's game, he put up some pretty nice numbers in the Big 12. Considering the progression of ISU's LBs this year, I gave him an 85.

Donte Spires - boosted to 75

Secondary.......what a travesty. I did my research. USF Passing Efficiency Defense was ranked 13th in the nation, in front Penn State, USC, Miami, and Michigan...just to name a few

Jenkins - 27 tackles, 1 int and 15 PBUs. I rated him 89. I increased his awareness, play recognition, and man coverage.

Williams - 49 tackles, 7 ints and 9 PBUs. I rated him at 88. Like Jenkins I increased his awareness, play recognition, but I bumped his zone coverage up more than his man coverage.

Nate Allen - added and rated at 75

C. Williams - rating is fine

Teachey -  pushed him up 70

Tell me what you think.....

only disagree on clebert and cray.  this two guys got screwed on ratings worse than any players i've seen.  DTs are rarely going to rack up tackle numbers but both of these guys should be over 80.  clebert dominated dan mozes of WVU all day long last year and cray is pretty productive.  clebert 84, cray, 82.

iowa state's two returning LBs are rated like 90 and 91.  neither is mckenzie, so was mckenzie really their 3rd best?

grothe should be faster.  consistenly runs low 4.6 and as definitely faster than colt mccoy(78) and riley skinner(80 speed).  i made him 82 spd.

i'm sure people would say i'm biased because i'm his older brother but grant gregory should have some decent attributes.  speed should be high 78's (4.65), strength should be among the best in the country at QB (19 reps of 225 and will be over 20 when they test before camp) and has the strongest arm on the team (may be debated now that C4 is back).  THP 92, THA 82.

brouce mompremier should be mid-high 70's.  the younger LB's mcqueen and joseph aren't close to him yet.

in the secondary jerome murhpy should have a rating in the high 70's, maybe even 80.  there was a good chance he was going to start even before verpaele was ruled ineligible.

alvarado and teachey need to switch positions and alvarado's kick power has to be over 90.  you don't drill a 56 yarder without leg strength.

the pain in the ass with these rosters for me was that because of not being able to edit class i had nothing to do with all the juniors and seniors that EA included that aren't on the team or flat out don't exist.

• Content Count:  57

Im getting NCAA probably tomorrow

does it have the create a player feature on 360??

yes, but create all your players before you adjust any depth charts or anything because just going into the create a player screen resets all depth charts.

and if you are trying to make an accurate roster for USF you've got a lot of work to do because you can't edit class this year.

• Content Count:  3,827

Shoop, I won't stop tinkering with the USF rosters for a couple more weeks. I'd like to tinker all the way up to Sept. 1 because we'll have a better idea on depth charts at that time, but I also can't wait that long to start my dynasty. So then I'll just go with what I have.

Damnit man. This roster thing has me all messed up. Last year, I started a dynasty right away, and then fixed the roster about 9 games in. Redoing that 1st season sucked.

Is there a link or post somewhere where the most up to date roster/depth chart can be found? I'd like to start mapping out my strategy of editing players asap.

If we could change CLASS, it would be SO much easier. How could the designers completely overlook that in the 360 version?!

BTW, does any other sicko like me have to name all the head coaches before starting a dynasty? Sometimes I swear I just create more work for myself.

Nope. Not me. These are definitely NOT in my favorites from last year. Nope.

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/rsfc/coaches.shtml

http://www.rateitall.com/t-115-college-football-coaches-current.aspx?age=&zipcode=&gender=&sort=0&pagenum=1

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Maybe I'm insecure about the developers of this game, but anytime you have UCF grads rating our team, you have to review it.

I'll defend the EA crew from this perspective. 

I have to believe that very few of the EA employees are UCFers.  To wit;

• I work in I/S in Orlando.  Out of a staff of approx 75 developers, DBAs, Project Leads and Business Analysts, I know of exactly two that are UCF grads/fans.  The simple fact is that most people that work in Central Florida are transplants from somewhere else.
  • The Project Manager for the NCAA '08 team is a Michigan grad and rabid Wolverine.
  • The NCAA '08 has USF ranked #29, and UCF ranked #84.

Hardly the profile of a group that is going to put down USF on purpose.  In fact, it looks to me that whoever developed the ratings was pretty fair.  Try to come up with the ratings for 80+ players on 119 teams and you are bound to have some misses.  That works out to about 8000 players.  Then factor in that most of these ratings probably needed to be done a couple of months ago in order to make deadlines.  Then factor in that you are most certainly overrating USF players.  You know them very well, but you don't know the players on all the other 118 teams well enough to judge the USF fairly in comparison.

I'd be willing to wager a fair sum of money that the die hard fans of every Division I team have a dozen or so players on their team that they feel were underrated.  I'd likewise wager there are few players they feel are overrated.

The good news:  You are a great college football fan!  ;D

http://www.helmetheadsociety.com/HHSCreed.html

• Content Count:  69

I have cursed the "no class edit" for YEARS and now that they have included it on the PS2 version, the rosters are a total breeze. Just that one simple thing made my life so much easier. Now all the next-gen owners are losing their minds. Been there, done that. I feel for you guys.

Shoop, I know what you mean. I'm ready to start playing. Remember, you can edit a player DURING a dynasty, just not his ratings (or class, I'm assuming). And depth charts can be worked on too during dynasty. Do the best roster you can with what you have to work with and go from there.

Here's a trick I've learned through the years too. Definitely get rid of the guys that are no longer on the team, even if it means plugging in with a walk-on. Bury him on the depth chart, then at the end of the first season, cut him. And when you recruit for the 2008 season, look for JUCO's to fill-in the missing SOPH's & JR's that you needed to add (example: Nate Allen and Aaron Harris). Once you land them, edit the name, ht/wt, even switch positions if you have to. Their ratings might suck, but at least they are on the roster. About the best you can do.

Archived