• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Arrested For Serving Booze To Minor

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

There is no doom people . . . a bunch of mother hens worrying the sky is falling.

::)

and there are green and goggle people that think  certain people can do no wrong

Has anyone said Matt has done no wrong?  I think most believe his working there was a wrong decision.  Why do you have to take an issue like this and make it a fight with fellow board members?  Can't you just have your opinion and leave everyone else out of it?  Address the issues counselor or you'll be held in contempt.  Your bitterness is overwhelming.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

Lower the drinking age already. I've been drinking legally and responsibly since I was 18yrs old. When I turned 18 I didn't go on a drinking binge because it was no big deal.  This age minimum is the most ridiculous thing ever. Yeah, there are some kids that can't handle liquor at 18 just like they are some adults that can't handle it at 40. Stats show that 20K lives have been saved since the limit was increase, well no sh!t, make alcohol illegal altogether and even more lives would be saved.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

He did something dumb, but on the scale of issues, it is very low.  Everyone is going overboard... ::)

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  131

They do this at every bar in Tampa. Believe it or not, Matt Grothe is not some kind of celebrity around this town. He might be to USF football fans, but that's a small percentage of the community as a whole.

I assure you, the state agencies do stings at every bar in the area, as does the Hillsborough Sheriff's Department. This had nothing to do with anything but Matt Grothe breaking the first law of bartending.

If you don't like that law enforcement agencies enforce the law, perhaps you ought to try and get it changed, or at least strip some of the power from the organization that pushes for these investigations: MADD.

I said nothing about not liking that the agencies enforce the law, but you cannot sit there and tell me straight-faced that the goverment doesn't make some amount of effort to conduct "high-profile" arrests. It's their way of getting the most "bang for the buck". (ie who cares of Joe Nobody is arrested, but Matt Grothe?)  Ok, here I am straight-faced telling you that they didn't know or care who he was, this was just business as usual for the agency investigating businesses serving underaged person(s).  This enforcement effort saves lives believe it or not.  Underaged drinkers are involved in fatal crashes twice their numbers in the general driving public.

I don't doubt that the agency does conduct other arrests, but you make it sound as if there is a huge dragnet of arrests in the area and Matt was picked up as part of a larger operation.  I don't think this was the case (unless you have proof?)  Since YOU are making the accusation don't you think you should be the one coming up with proof that he was targeted?

And believe me, as a Libertarian, I'm not fan of "victimless crimes," so I think the charges are bogus anyway. Perhaps there are some MADD lobbyists partially to blame, but mostly we can thank those politicians who believe they can "legislate morality".  It is not about morality, it is about dangerous behavior, see comment above. You have to think these things through to the consequences of the behavior of serving underaged persons.  Are you ok with say a 14 year old girl being served booze all night at a bar?  "victimless"?  what could happen right?  MADD is responsible for saving tens of thousands of lives in the past 25 years, but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

The bottom line is that I'm glad this happened.  It was relatively minor, and it teaches Matt (and other members of the team hopefully) the amount of scrutiny they're under, so hopefully they may avoid similar (more major) mistakes in the future.

I agree totally with this statement, I wish that Grothe never got in trouble this way, He is a great person on the field and from what I hear in his personal life as well.  We all make mistakes.  He will do great things in the future and this is just a small bump in the road.  

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726

Well said, usfcop.  We all should move on from this issue...

In Grothe We Trust

GO BULLS!!

not sure how you can turn this against MADD. It is a bartenders job to check the patrons i.d. If they didnt do these types of stings then bars would serve to every 18 yr old in the county with no fear of reprecussions. Until you form a lobby movement to change the legal drinking age to 18, it is 21. MADD is a great organization with a worthy cause.

MADD uses fear tactics to fiat laws on states. MADD is the reason the drinking age is 21. MADD is the reason the margin for DUI went from .15, to .12, to .10, to .08 in every state. MADD is singlehandedly ripping the rights of states to decide their own laws away from them.

I agree that fighting drunk driving is a good thing, but MADD uses tactics of federalism and fear to mandate laws to states, blackmailing them into passing absurd laws in order to keep their access to federal highway funding.

Wow.  You have some issues my friend.  Actually, the reason the DUI laws in the states dropped was because the children of those in MADD were being slaughtered by those with a .15 BAC, .12 BAC, .10 BAC, and .08 BAC.  MADD used thier RIGHT (as you seem to like to throw that word around) to lobby the legislatures and citizens of these states and people like YOU voted in support of those laws and leaders.  That is how is country works.  If you want the legal BAC back at .15 you should do what they did.  My feelings though are that you are with about 1 percent of this country.

Wow. a gimpy knight making sense....   ;)

Jebus Tap Dancing X-mas.

Some of you people are very high and mighty as if you never committed a sin.  If you are such a holy roller bible thumper, then you should have gone to a religious-oriented school, such as St. Leo.

It is a stupid charge, and I cannot believe the police do not have better crimes to chase than this.

This happens all the time to bartenders, whether they are 20 years old, 30 years old, or older.  The alcohol sting squads love to do this when an establishment is busy, and they alway catch a bartender when they are not paying attention.  Of course that is questionable when the Bull Ring is involved; I hear that they have little to zero business.  

Why is Leavitt being aloof?  Why should he tell the press anything?  Why arm the press and/or the district attorney with evidence to use against one of his players?

If I was Grothe's lawyer I would advise him, the coaching staff, and everyone on the team to respond with "no comment" or "talk to my lawyer".

good advice hightech

cops must  have no work to do

Cops must have no work to do?  like enforcing laws?  This comment is on a level of stupid so high it would take a space shuttle to reach it.  Just like most of your comments, you are too smart for a remark like this.  Surely you know how most young people have problems with irresponsible behavior , made even worse by the consumption of alchohol.  Have any friends in the insurance industry?  Well probably not since you sue them all the time... lol.. but you know the stats.   Don't even comment on cops if this in the best you can do, stick with the donut insults..  :)

• 8 years later...

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Found this ole thread.

• Downvote 7

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

11 hours ago, Thebullsfan said:

Found this ole thread.

Congrats?????

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  568
  • Days Won:  1

So, what was the point on dredging up this Thread?  Probably a low point in an otherwise exemplary and happy life?  Any possibility of burring it, and even locking it?  No one needs to be reminded of a low point (mistake) in one's life.

Debt Paid to society! Move on!

Edited by Bullumni
  • Upvote 1