• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zaronn Cann loses scholarship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm not gonna be naive and believe that this isn't basketball or injury related. Yes, it could be academic, but to this point I haven't heard anything Cann struggling to meet grades.

Of course coach is going to deny it's not basketball or injury related. I just hope that Cann gets on his feet and has a successful career, wherever that may be.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Whether you think he had the right to make that promise is one thing... the fact is... he allegedlymade that promise.   I don't feel breaking that promise is going to help that much this season that it would offset the potential negative impact locally.  We shall see.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm not gonna be naive and believe that this isn't basketball or injury related. Yes, it could be academic, but to this point I haven't heard anything Cann struggling to meet grades.

Of course coach is going to deny it's not basketball or injury related. I just hope that Cann gets on his feet and has a successful career, wherever that may be.

This happens everywhere. A kid is injured or isn't the type of player a coach wants so he is run off or flat out dumped. It's not fair to these kids who are just trying to get an education. If we signed him up then we need to provide for his education.

Now that he is even more damaged goods, it is likely no one will be willing to sign him up for an athletic scholarship. It may be his only way to get that education. It's a freaking crime that a billion dollar industry, only in business because of these athletes,  can't take care of those that need it most.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

whether it was allegedly or not, (Cann's mom seems to say it was a real promise),  the perception is going to be that a promise from Doug isn't as valuable as it was prior to this incident.  It would be naive to think that this won't be used against us in every imaginable way on the recruting front.  

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

whether it was allegedly or not, (Cann's mom seems to say it was a real promise),  the perception is going to be that a promise from Doug isn't as valuable as it was prior to this incident.  It would be naive to think that this won't be used against us in every imaginable way on the recruting front.  

Very true... but it's her words.  How do we know the truth?

Like people have posted already...

"This is not basketball-related. This is not injury-related," Heath said. "And Doug Woolard is totally committed to (Cann's) academics. We've talked about ways for him to continue his education on scholarship. The matter is between Zaronn and I, and I'm not going to say more than that. He's a good kid and we want to help him however we can."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Who is telling the truth?

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Exactly.  None of us have any idea what was promised, or what has happened or not happened between Cann and Heath.  To throw Woolard or Heath under the bus without the facts is irresponsible.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

"This is not basketball-related. This is not injury-related," Heath said. "And Doug Woolard is totally committed to (Cann's) academics. We've talked about ways for him to continue his education on scholarship. The matter is between Zaronn and I, and I'm not going to say more than that. He's a good kid and we want to help him however we can."

If the Mom's/players statements were false...wouldn't the AD return their phone calls and also contact the Tribune or the St Pete Times?

Wooldard has done none of the above.

That just adds flames that it certainly looks like the player and his Mom are telling the truth.

• Content Count:  3,574

If the Mom's/players statements were false...wouldn't the AD return their phone calls and also contact the Tribune or the St Pete Times?

Wooldard has done none of the above.

That just adds flames that it certainly looks like the player and his Mom are telling the truth.

OMG... this happened in the last 24 hours (maybe a little more).  Do you expect the answers to come out right away.  We already got an update from Greg this morning.

Are you telling me that Heath lied?  Saying "Doug Woolard is totally committed to (Cann's) academics. We've talked about ways for him to continue his education on scholarship."

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

great move

Archived