• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zaronn Cann loses scholarship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Burning a local standout recruit is NEVER a good thing.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

April 25, 2007

Forward Cann won't be back

Redshirt freshman forward Zaronn Cann, whose two seasons at USF were severely limited by knee injuries, will not be back to play for the Bulls next season, coach Stan Heath said Wednesday morning.

more in Gregs blog

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It happens but it's not common, there is kinda an unwritten rule in college athletics that you don't pull a scholly because of an injury. It just reaffirms the "your here to play" and that's it.

However, in a case like this, while I don't agree with the move, I do understand that basketball unlike football is limited in scholarships and they are all valuable.

It sucks, but I'm sure there was a method to the madness.

Guest BasketBull.

From Greg's blog

"This is not basketball-related. This is not injury-related," Heath said. "And Doug Woolard is totally committed to (Cann's) academics. We've talked about ways for him to continue his education on scholarship. The matter is between Zaronn and I, and I'm not going to say more than that. He's a good kid and we want to help him however we can."

Heath said USF would issue a blanket release to allow Cann to transfer to any other school.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

If the word was given the word needs to be kept.  I want to have a winning basketball program as much as anyone else here but above that I want the university that I attended to have a reputation that goes above and beyond and is above reproach...IMHO.

Something we actually agree on, OB.  ;)

Plus, another side of this is the recruiting factor. You don't think this will be one of the first things out of a competing recruiter's mouth sitting in the living room of a hs'er who is considering us... I know I'd use it.

That's the danger.

Heath went against USF's AD's personal word/promise so that he could sign just 1 more new player...however...what if USF loses 3 or 4 or 5 FUTURE RECRUITS as every other team will use this against you.

Was it worth it to get 1 more new player this year?

• Content Count:  6,928

a new janitor is sweeping the closet clean. If Cann could help this team he would be here

• Content Count:  642

Heath made the right move. Woolard made a commitment to Heath and now it's Heath's job to do the things necessary to win. DW has no right promising anything to a kid, what a sophmoric move on his part, I guess he won't make that same mistake. This sreally sucks for Cann but I think it's safe to say we saw this coming.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Whether you think he had the right to make that promise is one thing... the fact is... he made that promise.   I don't feel breaking that promise is going to help that much this season that it would offset the potential negative impact locally.  We shall see.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

From Greg's blog

"This is not basketball-related. This is not injury-related," Heath said.

Looks like some people may have jumped the gun accusing Woolard not keeping his promise.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

This is a travesty. The NCAA needs to enact a rule that states a kid can be cut from a team but the scholarship must be enforced. It should not be counted against that teams total scholarships but the kid should be provided his 4 year education he was promised.

There are far too many kids that fall through the cracks when these million dollar coaches come in and these kids are forced to leave. They are here for an education first and foremost.

Archived