• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Receives Signed LOI from LB Donte Spires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

6'3/ 240 for a LB... :-? Even if that is inflated I hope this kid is chizled and fast. Is he an OLB?

Meaning?  

He's more like 6-2 230lbs....but that is 100% legit now, anyone that says he's smaller then that has it wrong.

I think his height and weight is an issue only depending upon where he stands on the field. I can sacrafice size at an OLB postition if the kid has strength and speed, can't make that same sacrafice in the middle. At MLB I want a kid who is big and physical meeting RB's face to face  not side to side.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

6'3/ 240 for a LB... :-? Even if that is inflated I hope this kid is chizled and fast. Is he an OLB?

Meaning?  

He's more like 6-2 230lbs....but that is 100% legit now, anyone that says he's smaller then that has it wrong.

I think his height and weight is an issue only depending upon where he stands on the field. I can sacrafice size at an OLB postition if the kid has strength and speed, can't make that same sacrafice in the middle. At MLB I want a kid who is big and physical meeting RB's face to face  not side to side.

I would venture to say Spires is faster than Stephen Nicholas, seriously.  Spires is an OLB, not a MLB...we didn't land a MLB this time around, Sutton is more comfortable outside.  Sutton is close to 6-1 220lbs right now.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I would venture to say Spires is faster than Stephen Nicholas, seriously.

Come on now.  I'm not saying Spires isn't fast or a great athlete but aren't we stretching a bit.  How many full games have you actually seen D.Spires play in the last two seasons?  I imagine you've see one or two game minimum.  I could see saying, "probably/maybe as fast" but don't you think you take away from "Snake's" rep a bit when you make that statement.  We've seen Stevie Nicks for four seasons.  We, Bull fans, know 100% he's a beast.  Last season you were calling Nicholas a legit first day NFL draft pick.  Now he's the equivalent to an All American juco transfer.  We all know/think if Snake played at UM, UF or FSU he's an honorable mention AllAm and a Butkus finalist...maybe.  Not trying to be hostile here Sbien.  I just think your statement is rather green n gold google-ish for a new recruit and does a small injustice to a bonafide USF Bull grid iron hero.  That's all.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
I would venture to say Spires is faster than Stephen Nicholas, seriously.

Come on now.  I'm not saying Spires isn't fast or a great athlete but aren't we stretching a bit.  How many full games have you actually seen D.Spires play in the last two seasons?  I imagine you've see one or two game minimum.  I could see saying, "probably/maybe as fast" but don't you think you take away from "Snake's" rep a bit when you make that statement.  We've seen Stevie Nicks for four seasons.  We, Bull fans, know 100% he's a beast.  Last season you were calling Nicholas a legit first day NFL draft pick.  Now he's the equivalent to an All American juco transfer.  We all know/think if Snake played at UM, UF or FSU he's an honorable mention AllAm and a Butkus finalist...maybe.  Not trying to be hostile here Sbien.  I just think your statement is rather green n gold google-ish for a new recruit and does a small injustice to a bonafide USF Bull grid iron hero.  That's all.

Yep.

Like fans across the country, some Bulls fans tend to exaggerate from time to time.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

was suprised at combine last year when Andre Hall measured at 5'8" when he was 5'10" here......must have been measured here with his cleats and helmet on  ;D

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Here on our local radio 105.5 which is sports radio here in Mobile, they had the head guy from Rivals on since this is a huge market for Auburn and Alabama and they had him on discussing their two classes and callers were allowed to call in and ask about specific recruits.

Well, I got through and told him I was a displaced USF fan and asked him about our class and how we did in comparison to FSU and Miami.

He mentioned that USFs class is better than it looks on paper and this was definitely the strongest class we've had.  He said specifically that of course Ford is going to be a stud, but that he thinks USF got steals on a number of guys who slipped through the cracks like Sinclair, Claude Davis and Spires.  He said all three of these guys are "studs" and will probably be at a level where they could play as true freshman.  He especially was high on Sinclair.

He said USF is going to sneak up on people very soon if they can keep recruiting kids like this and he said that the term "sleeping giant" some people have called USF is very true.  He said UF, Miami and FSU are going to "get theirs", but USF is going to keep more and more of these FL kids home as time passes cutting out the northern schools especially.  He said, "Who wouldn't want to live in Tampa with the night life, weather, beaches and stuff to do?"  He said the environment exists at USF to where once they get rolling on the field and get that national rep as a legitimate bowl team year after year, they are going to start landing some very big recruits who want to stay close to home.

Needless to say, I was surprised to hear how impressed he seemed to be with our recruiting class.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  131

did his aunt sign?

Yes and she has 4 years of eligibility!!!   ;D

She has good range going sideline to sideline and delivers hits with BAD intentions.  She is just a step slow when falling back into pass coverage but reacts well to the ball when it is in the air.  Word is tight ends tremble when they have to go into the middle on 3rd and short situations.  With her 4.5 speed she can meet the running back at the line after she sheds off the blocking lineman to prevent extra yards after contact.  Good news is that she has a steller GPA so there should be no qualifying problems.  Bad news is the girl luvs to party and has been known to organize Ybor trips and quilting bees that last into the wee hours..   Good leader on the field though....  Auntie has what cha call "da intangibles"..

;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

One thing for sure, with the loss of Julmiste at DE ... this will help allow Robinson back to DE since we have great depth at LB.

Go BULLS !!!

Guest JulmisteForPrez
One thing for sure, with the loss of Julmiste at DE ... this will help allow Robinson back to DE since we have great depth at LB.

Go BULLS !!!

True.

Tell you what though.....they need to get that boy on some serious lifting program and get him some heavy duty whey protein.  He needs to pack on a good 10-15 lbs. this offseason.  HE'S SKINNY!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Don't worry S. Bien, I believe you.  McKensie might be as good or better than Nicholas as well.  I don't think that insults Nicholas it just says we recruit really good LBs (well, and get a guy with some tough family issues that just happens to live around here).  Nicholas will be an NFL LB but maybe we'll get even better NFL LBs.