• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Women Hurt by Lack of Support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

i don't care if you like womens sports or not, it is a bulls athletics event and that should be enough for you to go watch them.

[highlight]Let me get this straight...I should attend something I don't like because it involves USF?[/highlight] Does the same apply to tennis? Golf? Sailing? Soccer?  Should I attend those, even though I don't like them, but do it simply because it's USF?

I don't know what your schedule/obligations are like , but I don't drop money or time on something I'm not interested in.    

I think what you really meant to say was that USF fans, who do like womens BB, should make the effort to show up.

Have you attended a USF WBB game the past two seasons?

If your answer is "NO", then how do you know that you won't like it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that the interest isn't there. There's only so much time to devote to watching USF sports. I'm guessing that as Coach Fernandez continues to build his program, there will be even more wins. With that a top twenty five ranking and more butts in the seats. It will come. He's a great coach at a great school. He'll keep getting top players and top twenty five is just around the corner.

Or, perhaps he will be building his program at another school that shows more interest in WBB. :'(

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

I think the problem you will find for a lot of us is we are not students anymore.  I know I either have work or parenting obligations.  I knew at the beginning of the season that I could not make a lot of games so I bid to be coach on the bench for one game and I have also been to another.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to make any more.  

And if I am wrong, then, that is at least my plight.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77

I also came from UCONN down here and women's basketball has always been supported well up home. It's easy to see why CJF gets so frustrated. The excuses I have read on this board for not attending WBB games are ridiculous. Why should CJF have to wait for his team to be ranked to get butts in the seats? Will people even come then? He already has a better product on the floor than CRM and people still don't come.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Funny how all the Mac haters always claim that if we had a successful team, the Sun Dome would be packed for every game.  We have a successful bball team, and it gets 800 fans per game.  Another dark side fallacy busted.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

In Brett's article he says "Unlike earlier years, USF's games feature the cheerleaders and band."

That is a crock of poop. I've been around USF Women's BBall for the better half of the past decade, and there were years where there was more of us in the band/cheerleaders/sundolls than there ever were in the stands.

The band and the cheerleaders have been at every home game, Sun Dome or Corral, since at least 1994.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It's the "women's basketball" more than anything, there just isn't much interest in teh sport.

I am not a huge fan, I follow the team and did attend the occasional game when I was at USF.

However, you will have a hard time selling the women's game to a lot of people.

Ask the WNBA, the NBA have lost over Billion in that venture. Most college teams don't draw that well outside of a few programs.

That being said attendance pf barely 500 is bad, there are women's teams with losing records and comparatively sized universities drawing better. I hope this doesn't lead CJF north...

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

I've been to a couple of games this year, if you are a student who likes basketball you really need to be there. If you hate basketball and arent a student I'm not going to say come pay for something you dont like. The games are a lot of fun.  Hell, I did the hamster ball race the other day at halftime.  

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I hate to admit it, but I've been to 10+ men's games and no woman's games.

However, living in Lakeland doesn't make it easy, either.

I hate to admit it, but I've been to 10+ men's games and no woman's games.

However, living in Lakeland doesn't make it easy, either.

I live 38 miles from the dome, I go to as many women's games as I can, but that's me...if you going to the ND game tomorrow why not come early and see the ladies play...it's only $7 and parking is free...and you will save the $5 parking fee for the men's game.   As an old Jewish tailor on Delancy St (NYC)  told me when he was trying to sell me a suit that didn't fit..."Such a deal!"