• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Rumors Swirling

USF could not have purchased the mall in secret, but some USF boosters could.

Remember that USF Trustee **** Beard is a real estate developer... so is Lee Arnold (of Colliers Arnold).  Governor Crist just appointed Debra Sembler, wife of real estate developer Brent Sembler, to the USF Board of Trustees.

However, I will say that any purchase by the University or even the Foundation (which is probably how the mall would be purchased, if it were) would have a more public record.

Bear in mind that USF doesn't need to use public (tax) dollars to buy anything... the Foundation could use private money... and it can actually take out a mortgage if it wanted to...

Finally, the Mall has been for sale for more than a year.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

while i dont think USF needs to build an OCS right now. Buying that mall would make sense for future expansion, specially if the school is already renting space there for classes. The affordabiity issue is not as relevant since it would be the state that would pay for the land not USF itself, the coaches salaries USF pays so two different things.

IF USF is able to sell the state on the importance of buying that land now it could be done but i dont think an OCS would be built there for awhile even if we owned the land.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

usf couldnt afford to pay rod smith or frey

usf cant afford to buy out worst coach in big east]

i dont think usf is ready to build a stadium

nor is there a need

Not sure pay was an issue for Rod Smith, we needed to get rid of him anyway!!!  Good riddance!!!!!

Correct, USF is not ready for an OCS  AND doesn't have the MONEY!!!!

AND no need,  RJS is a great asset.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Ok... let’s think about this.

So there is a rumor... and there is an article about having a buyer soon.  DW was negotiating a new lease agreement with RJS to reduce the years from 10 to 5 (with an option for another 5 years).

The land would make sense for classroom purposes, but we haven't heard of anything regarding expansions... plus, would having an OCS on the complete opposite side of the athletic "district" make sense?

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  99

I can see the mall being bought to tie into all the Moffit stuff

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

They don't even need the land at the Unversity Mall.  That campus has so much green space it doesn't even know what to do with it.

My guess is that they are going to put it across the street from the sun dome - right along fowler avenue...

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

One thing to keep in mind. If they build classrooms in the stadium, the state will be chipping in buckets of cash. That's how FSU got DC stadium built. As long as classrooms are in, it's gold. I seem to remember that the FSU cooking classes are in the stadium...no joke! Any FSU  folks please collaborate.   Reaper

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

One thing to keep in mind. If they build classrooms in the stadium, the state will be chipping in buckets of cash. That's how FSU got DC stadium built. As long as classrooms are in, it's gold. I seem to remember that the FSU cooking classes are in the stadium...no joke! Any FSU  folks please collaborate.   Reaper

I believe that the legislature took measures that would prevent that from happening again.

Guest r_to_the_izzo
They don't even need the land at the Unversity Mall.  That campus has so much green space it doesn't even know what to do with it.

My guess is that they are going to put it across the street from the sun dome - right along fowler avenue...

Where would the band practice if you took out that field?????? ::)

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I feel fairly certain that a purchase of this nature would require several open forum meetings at the Univ. Board of Trustees level and tha tthe press would pick up on it quickly.  Such a move would be tough to keep a secret.