• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Rumors Swirling

USF could not have purchased the mall in secret, but some USF boosters could.

However, I will say that any purchase by the University or even the Foundation (which is probably how the mall would be purchased, if it were) would have a more public record.

Jim, Didn't Walt Disney secretly make large land deals in orlando in order to build the Magic Kingdom???    

Damnit man, Let a guy like me dream a little huh ?    ;) ;) ;)

Nope. Disney (the company) didn't make "secret" land deals.  As a private citizen, it purchased land by setting up subsidiaries.  A lot of companies who want to build very large projects do this (a recent example is a development along I-275 between Dale Mabry and Himes, the parcels were purchases using a number of subsidiary companies).  This may seem "shady" or "secretive", but a private company was merely trying to protect its interests from speculators.

Now, remember Florida law requires USF to do these kinds of things in public view.  So any effort to buy land will be voted by the USF Board of Trustees OR the Board of the USF Foundation.

For more on Disney...

Check out the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the creation of which which aided the construction by helping to build the necessary infrastructure to support the Kingdom.

The Wikipedia entry for Reedy Creek is also an interesting read.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Days Won:  0

Why not build on The Claw golf course...huge waste of land.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

^^^^   Jim, you're too serious about this subject brother, I'm just trying to be funny...  I know all about Walt Disney, He had some sort of a college built in orlando. (One with a sucky football team.)  ;)

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

Gee! Don't ya think if the stadium was built on the mall property people would be tailgating in the parking lots surrounding the stadim?.

People park and tailgate at HCC and then cross Dale Mabry (much wider and busier than BBD) to get to the RJ without a bridge.

I dont know a bunch of drunk students trying to cross BBD coming to and from their dorms sounds like a potential lawsuit to me....why not have a walkway of some sort like the one from the yankee stadium to RJS...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

Smazza. Take a valium. We know you don't like Leavitt even though he's one of about ten people who have made USF a top school in so many areas.  All I can think of is that he wouldn't hire you to be an assistant coach so you have this personal vendetta against him.

I think you are alone in your opinion.

Feel better soon.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

Gee! Don't ya think if the stadium was built on the mall property people would be tailgating in the parking lots surrounding the stadim?.

People park and tailgate at HCC and then cross Dale Mabry (much wider and busier than BBD) to get to the RJ without a bridge.

I dont know a bunch of drunk students trying to cross BBD coming to and from their dorms sounds like a potential lawsuit to me....why not have a walkway of some sort like the one from the yankee stadium to RJS...

BullRunner!

Most student's haven't walked that far since Shep was a pup.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292

To stop all the rumors...why don't we just get Greg or Brett to ask the questions and report on it??

Why not build on The Claw golf course...huge waste of land.

One word: wetland.

That area is basically protected from all further development because it is basically a cypress swamp.

^^^^   Jim, you're too serious about this subject brother, I'm just trying to be funny...  I know all about Walt Disney, He had some sort of a college built in orlando. (One with a sucky football team.)  ;)

Sorry, dog.  Just wanting to make sure that OCS threads are grounded in reality.  Even jokes can become rumors that can be used as justification for some wild hair proposal for an OCS.

Oh, and Disney didn't get UCF built either... in case someone else out there didn't realize Mutt was still joking.