• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Basketball history

Guest BasketBull.

Look, it isn't rocket science: put money into the program and hire the right person/staff and the program takes off. Hire the wrong person (bouble your chances or more by not paying enough for a good candidate) and the program sinks.

Texas Tech: who were they before they hired a namebrand coach?

Cincinnati: it took no time for them to go from a powerhouse to just another team (declawed kitty).

USF had to make a choice: winning men's bball or football.

I'm not complaining. Really, I am not.

There would be no Big East and no growth for USF athletics without USF football.

Seth was a failed experiment (his going rate when USF hired him was not for a top-notch candidate).

What's next? You saw the going rate for success in the Big East... Your guess is as good as mine.

All I know is that USF football will have a chance to beat Auburn @ Auburn next fall and there will be a lot of national coverage... Enjoy the good stuff and deal with the pain!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

No offense boys, granted this isn't Tobacco Road but FSU, JU, and UF had a final four visit BEFORE Donovan arrived.  Ever heard of Joe Williams,Lon Kruger, or Hugh Durham- all were in Final Fours, and in fact Williams and Durham both took their teams to the Championship games against the UCLA dynasty.  These names could help, Da Meat Hook, Artis Gilmore, Pembrooke Burroughs, Dave Cowans, Ron King, Reggie Royals.  Nevermind Pat Kennedy, and Billy Donovan, or Leonard Hamilton's impressive run at Miami.

I love this board but sometimes the youth seems to take things back about 15 minutes.  Since 1970 FL schools have put 5 teams in the Final Four, and four into the championship game.  Since 1970 TX schools have put three, and 2 of those were thanks to Houston discovering Hakeem under a rock.

Like I said no Tobacco Road, but good hoops are played in FL especially if you can keep the good players in state.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Just being honest, no basketball program has ever had great amounts of consistent success in the state of Florida until UF hired Donovan.

Yes, I know there have been sporadic periods of success for every program in the state. I wasn't just looking back at the last 10 years. However, consistent success has never existed, until recently.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

No offense boys, granted this isn't Tobacco Road but FSU, JU, and UF had a final four visit BEFORE Donovan arrived.  Ever heard of Joe Williams,Lon Kruger, or Hugh Durham- all were in Final Fours, and in fact Williams and Durham both took their teams to the Championship games against the UCLA dynasty.  These names could help, Da Meat Hook, Artis Gilmore, Pembrooke Burroughs, Dave Cowans, Ron King, Reggie Royals.  Nevermind Pat Kennedy, and Billy Donovan, or Leonard Hamilton's impressive run at Miami.

I love this board but sometimes the youth seems to take things back about 15 minutes.  Since 1970 FL schools have put 5 teams in the Final Four, and four into the championship game.  Since 1970 TX schools have put three, and 2 of those were thanks to Houston discovering Hakeem under a rock.

Like I said no Tobacco Road, but good hoops are played in FL especially if you can keep the good players in state.

Throw in some Sloan UF teams from the early-mid 80's...he put a winner on the floor at UF with the M & M boys (till Mad Max did too much Coke).

UF would draw 10,000 plus to soldout crowds to some top SEC games back in the day in the mid 80's.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Lets go back to the "Florida Four" tournament that USF actually won a couple of times.  I say leave Mac there and save the money for football.  After next year if the BB is still at the bottom of the BE then its time for a change but 300k can go along way for a dinning hall or coaches salaries.  Or better yet let Bobby P come back and coach for a couple of years.  He is already on salary doing marketing I think.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

NO MORE MAC!!!

IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T TAKE THE LOSING ANYMORE!!!

Then put your money where your mouth is .... A check with a non-0 digit followed by 5 0's to the left of the decimal should get their attention.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

Thats my big fear, while I think that at this point we need a change,  but im not sure USF has the money for buyout and to get a coach that will inspire the masses. So Im afraid if there is a change we will go the low budget way again and just spend a few more years with same results.

Just because you trade in your Yugo for a Daihatsu doesnt mean you got a better car nor drive any better.