• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

C'mon---Let's talk West Virginia!

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Offensively: What do we need to do? How many points do we have to put up?

Defensively: (mama!) How can we 'slow' them down?

------------------------------------------------------

Here's my game plan:

Slow drives... Run and short passes. Eat up the clock and make sure we score each time. They are softer than cottage cheese and if we can't move the ball on them then something is horribly wrong.

Defensively, we've got to give them the air... Stopping them on the ground is the key. Our corners have to play tight coverage. Hopefully, our LBs can stuff the middle and limit their attack.

Blitzing will kill us when White goes on one of his long jogs...

We've got to get turnovers!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I agree. Slow drives that eat up the clock will work well. I think we need to put up around 25-32 points, which makes me think our chances are slim. If you look at our away record at Points For, it doesn't look good (if you take out UCF and UNC). We put up 7 on Kansas, 6 on Cicni, and 8 on Louisville. That won't be enough to beat WV. Not only do we need 25-32 points, but we need to put them up early.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

I agree BUT first thing to be solved is their mental at road game.  We can't be perpared without mental.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

www.theledger.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Weary USF Faces Another Tough Offense

By PAT ZIER

Ledger Correspondent

South Florida defender Mike Jenkins goes high into the air to break up a pass intended for Louisville's Harry Couglas during the first half of their football game in Louisville, Ky., Saturday, Nov. 18, 2006.

bilde?Site=LL&Date=20061122&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=612220312&Ref=AR&MaxW=250

TAMPA

For South Florida this week, the best defense might be a good offense, and that could be a problem, because the offense was almost nonexistent last week at Louisville. After losing to the now eighth-ranked Cardinals, 31-8, the Bulls head for West Virgina where they meet the seventh-ranked Mountaineers on Saturday at noon to close out the season.

Paced by running back Steve Slaton and quarterback Pat White, both sophomores, West Virgina ranks second in the country in rushing offense, scoring and total offense.

The 8-1 Mountaineers have scored more than 40 points in six of their nine games thus far, their lowest total being 27 at East Carolina.

In their lone loss at Louisville, they put up 34 in a 44-34 defeat.

"Their speed is off the radar," South Florida Coach Jim Leavitt said Tuesday. "They take over the game with those two guys. They're two of the best I've ever seen."

To counter Slaton and White, South Florida is going to have to score more than eight points, and do it earlier. The Bulls' only touchdown against Louisville came with less than a minute to play.

Freshman quarterback Matt Grothe, who triggers the Bulls' attack, admits the offense was out of sync Saturday, but is confident South Florida can play better and do more at West Virginia.

"I know this is going to sound funny, but we didn't play as bad as we did at Cincinnati," Grothe of Lake Gibson said.

"In that game (a 23-6 loss), we didn't play well at all. In this game, we had our chances. ... We did a lot of little things wrong."

Leavitt agreed the offense was off.

"We dropped too many passes, and the offensive line didn't protect."

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061122/NEWS/612220312/1002/SPORTS

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Welll....

[smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Offensive balance, minus the needless trickeration.  Can we say I formation?    

Run Ricky Run! and then run some more... the passing game will open, only if the other team isn't keying off on Grothe every snap.  

The offensive line needs to take out some aggression and pound that ball!  Going forward and putting your helmet on someone feels a lot better than having to fall back every play only to watch 6-7 guys blitz to your 5 protectors (thank you spread offense >:( )

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

RUN Ricky RUNNNNNNNNNNN

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  231

Well the good news this year is that Rod Smith has yet to put back to back good games together, so last week I expected our play calling to be bad and it was.  So hopefully things will change this week and our play calling will be much better.  I think that is the number one issue right now is the play calling.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Offensively: What do we need to do? How many points do we have to put up?

We will use quick slants and skinny posts. GrothE will throw nearly 40 times ! Ponton will run the ball about 20 times.

Defensively: (mama!) How can we 'slow' them down?

We force them to pass! Nicholas or St. Louis will blanket Slanton or White. And visa versa for a Safety. Jenkins & Williams will cover with a Safety.

Go BULLS !!!  [smiley=GoBulls.gif]