• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brawl could put UM in world of hurt with recruits

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hold up.

It doesn't matter that the program had a bad drug culture in the 80s

It doesn't matter that the program had several arrests in the late 80s early 90s

It doesn't matter that they went on a tough probation in the mid 90s

It doesn't matter how bad this fight was last week.

MIAMI PUTS KIDS IN THE PROS! The day they stop doing this is the day recruits quit going.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I have to agree with Joe. It may just sting Miami's recruiting for this year, if that. However, once they do get a new coach, they'll be back in the hunt for a N.C., if the ACC doesn't beat them up too bad.

Is Sunday here yet?? I'm ready to see my Bulls!

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

w00t USF needs to start targetting these kids!

We really do. Miami's problems don't give us a strong recruiting class in avaccuum. But if we are going after some of the same kids, PARTICULARLY if their parents have doubts (keep in mind that we're recruiting the Millennial generation here) and they can go to a winning (knock on wood), young program in "South Florida" that's not the U, it could do very well for us. There is no reason for our staff not to capitalize on this.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

w00t USF needs to start targetting these kids!

We really do. Miami's problems don't give us a strong recruiting class in avaccuum. But if we are going after some of the same kids, PARTICULARLY if their parents have doubts (keep in mind that we're recruiting the Millennial generation here) and they can go to a winning (knock on wood), young program in "South Florida" that's not the U, it could do very well for us. There is no reason for our staff not to capitalize on this.

Who is to say we aren't? Yes, we might target a few. But concentrating our efforts on these kids could end up hurting us more than helping us.

Miami will get hurt a little this year for a number of factors (changing coach, bad record, the fight).

However, we aren't the only school noticing this. You have Florida and FSU 1st. Then Auburn, UGA, Alabama, and other top programs Southern jumping right in. Then all the national guys

USF is not in a position to go up against those guys for 15 recruits. We could go after a few, but we're not making major headway because Miami is having a down year (see above)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The incident will hurt Miami recruiting, but not in a big way.  Once Miami hires a new coach to replace Coker, he will act like a strong disciplinarian and the parents fears will go away.  I still can't imagine anyone other than Butch Davis getting the job.  He cleaned up the program once, and hasn't gotten old in the meantime.  If he takes over, they will probably have a net gain in recruiting over what Coker would have done.

This will hurt recruiting because, OTHER TEAMS PUT KIDS INTO THE NFL TOO....If Miami and FSU is going for the same kid FSU puts just as many kids into the NFL as Miami does.

The reality is the effects of the 'BRAWL' probably benefit schools like FSU and UF more than USF right now.  It will be enough for the elite athletes that are getting down to signing day that could have gone FSU or Miami to go FSU, again providing Coker is still around and they didn't hire a great recruiter like Butch Davis, to swing slightly the other way.  But the reality is Miami has been losing most of these battles the past few years anyway, CJ Spiller, Antone Smith, Fred Rouse, Marcus Gilbert....frankly I loved Coker as HC of Miami because they'll always under-perform, he and his staff are not good at coaching up players, a poor recruiter and talent evaluator, with a propensity to recruit out-of-state to much.  My concern is they bring in Butch Davis and suddenly Miami goes back to being on lock-down mode again.  No good recruit gets out unless Miami says so.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Sadly, there are probably an equal number of potential recruits who saw the fight as COOL...and wouldn't mind joining a program like that.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

here is that same writers response after all the stupid reader emails he got about that story....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/10/18/mandel.bag/index.html

now that is as honest as it gets.

But this moron conveniently overlooks that this was Miami's 3rd melee out of their last 7 games??

Isn't that like mentioning the crime problems at Tenn and FSU??

If this was Miami's first on-the-field "fight" say over the past 5-6 years...yes...it could be washed under the bridge...but it was its 3rd incident over their past 7 GAMES!!!

Sometimes its not what the writer writes about...its what that gets left out that counts the most.

KL

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

I have heard too many current NFL players/UM Alum say that players come there thinking 3 years and the NFL in the 4th.

They can only get 25 or so like FSU & UF ... we will get our share in the future, instead of them going outta state.

Already have !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

Even CNN and Fox News are covering this story...I'm in agreement with the majority that UM did not come down hard enough in a timely manner to not only punish the "children" involved, but also to send a stern message to the rest of the team, ACC and NCAA.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132

This brawl is not a knock out blow to Miami but Coker might be doing his best to ruin the Mighty U. Bring back Davis and all this gets forgotten because the same parents that made the comments will have forgotten in 5 months. When the new coach comes calling and gets the fantasy going about seeing their kid in the pros by pointing out how many kids from Miami have been chosen in the first round in the last decade, parents see $$$ signs.

The fights are ridiculous but they are not always started by Miami and in the heat of the game tempers flare and things get ot of control. NOT AN EXCUSE but I saw many people justifying smoking pot on this board not too long ago. I see FSU and UF taking the same cheap shots, late hits, jumping around etc as Miami but Miami will always have the target on their back because they came so far so fast to win 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS. If I had the choice to mirrora football program in the state of FL, it would be MIAMI not FSU of UF.