• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN QB Rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There are 45 QBs that have played better than Grothe?  

It's a QB ranking.  It takes into account pass percentage and interceptions.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

had pj not gotten hurt grothe would be on pine

usf  lucked out

usf needs to build an offense around this great qb

It's funny that you bring this up.  Most of the people who are falling in love with Grothe are the same people who were screaming a few months ago, "C'mon guys, let's give Julmiste another chance!"

Guilty as charged.  Before the season I said give Julmiste another chance, because I thought he might finally click during his senior season.  Obviously I was wrong.

Although, I wasn't screaming to give PJ another chance, I thought the best scenario was to start PJ to see if things would click in his senior year but keep him on a short leash. Bottom line was I wanted our starter to be whoever gave us the best chance to win on a game to game basis. The coaches picked the right one. PJ didn't have a bad performance in the MSU game, just that Matt had a better one.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

GrothE was coming in the 2nd half of the game anyways. PJ did not pull himself out, the coaches pulled him and put GrothE in ...

... 8-)

I stand corrected ... PJ DID take himself out. It would not have changed anything. PJ was fine and the coaches decided on MG for Game 2.

And as stated above, we have the best QB for the job playing.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Matt is a freshmen with three more years after this ons. BS is a junior with only one more. Im glad we got Grothe over BS.

Go Bulls

I know I am also !

Go BULLS !!!

Yeah I know I'm late to the party with this line of thinking, but I really think Grothe is going to be a star. Right now, he's getting some brief love during short Sportscenter clips, but 2-3 years from now, hell maybe even next year, their going to be talking him up. I think with some work - and maybe a few better offensive players around him - he can be to the Big East what Pat White is now. Or perhaps a better analogy is that he can be what Blackwell was to the program as it prepped for the transition to 1-A. Regardless, I see great things for him and for the team he's leading.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He is simply REMARKABLE!

Guest R_to_the_izzo

He's racked up the yards, but his turnovers have been costly. What is he up to now 7 Interceptions and 2 fumbles lost?

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

I always felt Grothe was going to be a good QB based on the film I saw on him from HS. However, I was not about to throw him out there without any work in real games. The way our coaches handled the situation worked as well as can be expected. PJ went out of the game with a thigh bruise in the 2nd quarter. Grothe finished the game and won the job outright at that point. Had he done poorly against FIU, he might have gotten the hook for PJ.

We can piss all over PJ based on what he did or didn't do for us those first 3 years. But the kid has hung in there, remained positive, and for all we know (since we haven't really seen much of him this season) -- he can win for us as well. Just remember-- ANY PLAYER is one hit away from being hurt/injured. So having PJ available is excellent since he has plenty of experience. I hope we don't see him play again unless it is mop up duty-- that would mean either Grothe never got hurt OR we were kicking so much butt in some games that we kept Grothe out of harms way toward the end of a game.

How smug of some people on this board to claim they knew all along this or that was supposed to happen-- or that our coaches "lucked" into the situation. If I were a coach, I would scoff at those people since USF has been very unlucky in regards to the QB position over the last 4 years. When your announced starter has to leave school-- you go into a scramble trying to get one or two of the guys ready to take the helm. We as fans are lucky we had a winner like Grothe on the roster. Those same "lucky" coaches did recruit that guy but don't expect someone like smazza to give them any credit for that-- he only focuses on whatever he can find negative about USF.

And believe me ... they do scoff ...

And I laugh at some of their reasonings ... we just don't wanna settle for this and that ... well, talking about it here does not help. Go to the source of the so called problem ...

One thing I will say about smazza is that we know who he is and does nothing to hide. Some are just people that jump on here to bash and then go ... and probably come back under different names.

;D

Many of us are not 100% happy with things, but bashing does not help and if you have something to complain about, atleast make it reasonable.

Well ... that was a waste of typing  ;D

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

yep-- the other thing I find ridiculous is those who lay heavy praise on a player one week and then reverse their opinion as soon as that player has one bad game. Those who keep bringing up the interceptions-- umm-- yeah-- who doesn't expect some degree of error for a RS Freshman QB? Meanwhile, the kid is keeping us in games with his feet and arm more often than not. Those who jumped all over Amp Hill piss me off. If they actually watched what really happened, they would realize that the ball was stripped away from him on that 2 point conversion attempt. It was a great play by the defender, not someone "blowing it".

It must be fun to sit back and just criticize everything you find fault with about a program. I can't imagine going through life with that type of attitude. Sure-- they can hide behind the old "we can't get better unless we idnetify our problems" excuse. But at what point do you actually sit back and enjoy anything that is happening that is good?

As I've stated a thousand times probably-- this is not going to be easy. It will take years of hard work and gradual progression. If anyone thinks jumping into the Big East was supposed to be a cake walk, they are simply ignorant to the reality of the situation. Yes-- Florida has a lot of football talent and we get a decent share of that. We don't get all the prime talent by any means-- many some table scraps. We find some diamonds in the rough. We try to secure relationships with coaches and players through football camps and blazing the recruiting trail. When people blame our problems on not recruiting nationally I have to laugh a little bit. First-- we don't have that kind of cash or resources to battle any of the big teams outside of Florida. It's about perception-- and most HS kids know that playing at a school like UF, FSU, and Miami is much more prestigious. Getting the 4 star recruits that those schools covet is tough (not to mention other national programs)-- and we rarely sniff that action. How do we change that? Basically you have to win-- alot. It's a vicous circle-- you need the great players to win but they'll only come when you are good enough in the first place. That we have been able to compete at the level we are on currently is sign that our coaching staff does the best they can with what we are able to sway our direction. I'm sure others who are in the "Leavitt can't take us to the next level" camp will say that another coach-- someone with a bigger name-- might be able to do a better job getting those recruits and coaching the games. Perhaps they could. When you find the money necessary to attract that type of coaching staff we can talk about that. Until then, I am completely comfortable with watching Coach Leavitt and company continue to get better, grab higher level of recruits, improve the program-- work on areas of weakness.

And trust me-- we will face some bad years every now and then. I just hope the knee jerk reaction types understand that scenario. We are on an upswing of sorts right now. Not everything is in place that was supposed to be (especially at running back) but they are doing the best they can. If any fan thinks they want to win more than our coaching staff-- holy cow-- that is beyond laughable. These people think they eat, sleep, and live for USF football. Compared to the guys actually in the program it's not even close.

yep--

You had me at "yep"  ;)

... I can't imagine going through life with that type of attitude.

It amazes me also ... too much GOOD about USF Football.

But at what point do you actually sit back and enjoy anything that is happening that is good?

You know ... I am in my 11th year of enjoying USF Football.

And I am as pissed as ANYONE when we lose ! It F'n SUCKS !!!!!!  >:(

Go BULLS !!!