• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QBs Reward Leavitt with Strong Scrimmage

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

Quarterbacks Reward Leavitt’s Confidence With Strong Scrimmage

TAMPA, FLA.  (August 19, 2006) – In the first full-scale scrimmage for the University of South Florida, the top three quarterbacks showed why Coach Jim Leavitt has consistently praised their leadership throughout the first two weeks of camp. Pat Julmiste, Matt Grothe and Grant Gregory all looked sharp in leading the offense.

“I was really pleased with the quarterbacks,” Leavitt said after the nearly three-hour scrimmage that went roughly 115 plays. “I thought they all showed great leadership and ran the offense well. Maybe the one that surprised me the most was Grant Gregory. I knew what Pat can do, and I knew what Matt could do. I also know what Grant can do, but he might be an even better quarterback than I gave him credit for.”

Leavitt also indicated redshirt freshman Moise Plancher is “clearly the number one running back.” Defensively, Leavitt liked the work of tackle Richard Clebert, and he continues to praise the starting linebackers – Stephen Nicholas, Ben Moffitt and Pat St. Louis. Moffitt was held out today with a cast on his left hand, and starting cornerback Mike Jenkins was also held out with stitches in his chin.

“Mike could have played today, but why,” Leavitt said. Moffitt could have played as well, but with both players clearly in a starting role, the decision was made to let them sit.

The Bulls return to the practice field Monday morning in preparation for the September 2 season opener against McNeese State.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

I am looking forward to seeing Plancher in action, as Leavitt seems to have a very high opinion of him.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I'm glad to hear about the qb's!

And I'm very excited about Plancher after seeing what Ponton did as a freshman last year.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Well... the offense obviously won this scrimmage... but the 'D' sat their playmakers. Next week, the 'D' will play everyone, and then you'll see Leavitt freaking out about how the offense is not ready (yadda, yadda, yadda).

The local sportswriters should just redate their articles from the last couple of years, change a couple of names... and bam, they'll have the same story that Leavitt always gives them.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242

How about a two back set with Plancher and Ponton?  Love it that we have depth at QB and RB!!

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

If he stays healthy, Moises is going to rewrite the RB record book at USF.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I am also excited about the RB battle ... again as with the QB's ... we have the first 2 games to really find our starter.

I said it a while back that I think these QB's are the best crew we have had at the position.

And regarding 2 playmakers out, I really think this is onr of the best D's in the country, Top 20 easily. So if our Offense looked good against them minus our starting MLB & CB - still feel good about our offense - definately an upgrade.

This is only 1 scrimmage, but it's positive.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

Well then that makes me feel better that we got a commitment from his relative Ereck Plancher.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Well then that makes me feel better that we got a commitment from his relative Ereck Plancher.

Go home, Billy Bob, no one cares what  you think.