• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voss Puts USF Ahead of Miss. State

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

times.gif

USF makes headway with Gulf quarterback

By STEVE LEE, Times Staff Writer

Published August 2, 2006

LAND O'LAKES - Gulf quarterback Alton Voss made the most of a second chance to impress USF coaches and came away from a Saturday tryout with a scholarship offer.

"It went well," Voss said during Tuesday's practice. "All my throws were on the money."

Voss already had an offer from the Bulls, but not specifically to play quarterback. Voss said Saturday's oral offer came from offensive coordinator Ron Smith.

"Before, it was more for an athlete," said Voss, who also was being considered as a defensive back or running back. "But Smith said we want you more as a quarterback."

The versatile senior, a 1,000-yard passer and 1,000-yard rusher last season, also has an offer from Mississippi State and said a decision is forthcoming.

"Hopefully soon," Voss said. "I'd like to get this done. I guess within the next week or so."

Voss said the recent turn of events puts USF slightly ahead of Mississippi State.

"Just a little bit more," he said. "It's just a good quarterback situation. The program's going upward. It's a little closer and the family can come see me play."

Regardless of his decision, Voss plans to honor a commitment to visit Mississippi State Sept. 9.

"I gave my word," he said.

Story Link

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

come on Alton Voss do the correct thing.....

GO BULLS..............

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

why make a decisionin two weeks and then still go to miss. ?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I was wondering the same thing  :-/

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

free vacation...

and can we PLEASE recruit a traditional QB, these tweener QB's have not been working out too well for us lately

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Voss already had an offer from the Bulls, but not specifically to play quarterback. Voss said Saturday's oral offer came from offensive coordinator Ron Smith.

Who's Ron Smith?

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Who's Ron Smith?

Rod's twin brother

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

free vacation...

and can we PLEASE recruit a traditional QB, these tweener QB's have not been working out too well for us lately

What's tweener about a kid that is 6-3/6-2 215lbs.  You must be one big dude to call that size kid a 'tweener'.  Matt Grothe was 6-0 185lbs when he committed to USF, that's 'tweener' not Voss.

I like Voss' potential.   He's not a great QB yet, but his tools, his athletic ability, his overall grit, attitude and hard work I can see this kid become something special in 3 years.   Not a bad snag for USF this early, and still go after one more QB.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen Alton play first-hand and personally he seems like a very decent QB.  I think he would fit in very well with our system and what's better than a local guy leading our BULLS to victory.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

free vacation...

What's tweener about a kid that is 6-3/6-2 215lbs.  You must be one big dude to call that size kid a 'tweener'.  Matt Grothe was 6-0 185lbs when he committed to USF, that's 'tweener' not Voss.

I like Voss' potential.   He's not a great QB yet, but his tools, his athletic ability, his overall grit, attitude and hard work I can see this kid become something special in 3 years.   Not a bad snag for USF this early, and still go after one more QB.

tweener has nothing to do with size.  i am referring to all these athletes we recruit to play QB.  i want someone like Simms son for once.