• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF turned down a 2 for 1 with Texas.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Florida doesn't travel to OOC games unless they are Miami or Florida State.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Florida doesn't travel to OOC games unless they are Miami or Florida State.

My parents were alumni and I traveled with them all the time when I was a kid, seemed like there were always a lot of Florida fans at road games. I went to Tennessee, Alabama, Syracuse, the Sugar Bowl when they played ND (I grew up an ND fan), and a couple other games...

I havent traveled with them since 1998, maybe its gchanged since then

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

UF hasn't traveled outside the state of Florida for an OOC regular season game for quite some time.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

maybe (more like obviously) it was a bad idea to mention the fla thing.  Especially since that deal was made a long time ago.

My point was, we are one of the boys (BCS) now.  241's no longer needed.

Woolard did the right thing.  If Texas wants a 1-1, cool.  If not, screw em!

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Nuke

Series = more than 1 game.  ESPN was offering to televise 1 of the gameS.

Just because ESPN only offered to televise 1 doesn't mean there were not more games.  ESPN isn't going to contract this far in advance with someone like us to televise every game.

So to be perfectly clear......there was a series discussed, more than 1 game.  ESPN tried to sweeten the pot by offering to televise 1 of the games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

My parents were alumni and I traveled with them all the time when I was a kid, seemed like there were always a lot of Florida fans at road games. I went to Tennessee, Alabama, Syracuse, the Sugar Bowl when they played ND (I grew up an ND fan), and a couple other games...

I havent traveled with them since 1998, maybe its gchanged since then

Joe, you do realize what OOC stands for? ........ and bowl games don't count as an OOC game. DP's point was that Florida does not schedule OOC away games, hardly ever, unless it's FSU or Miami or they can play some other OOC game IN Florida.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

Nuke

Series = more than 1 game.  ESPN was offering to televise 1 of the gameS.

Just because ESPN only offered to televise 1 doesn't mean there were not more games.  ESPN isn't going to contract this far in advance with someone like us to televise every game.

So to be perfectly clear......there was a series discussed, more than 1 game.  ESPN tried to sweeten the pot by offering to televise 1 of the games.

Thank you for the clarification, it makes a difference to how I see it as Woolard has said the days of traveling for $250,000 are over and I agree with him. I do not think that a 2 for 1 with a team like Texas is worth it either but a team like ND may have some value to me.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe, you do realize what OOC stands for? ........ and bowl games don't count as an OOC game. DP's point was that Florida does not schedule OOC away games, hardly ever, unless it's FSU or Miami or they can play some other OOC game IN Florida.

I misunderstood. No they don't.

Consider that Florida has 8 SEC games, so that means they had only 3 OOC games each year in the past - and one of those was Florida state.

That made it harder to schedule OOC games.

Still, some quick research shows that SFF & Triple_B is right:

The last five OOC games for Florida outside of Gainesville, Tallahassee, or Miami:

Sept 21, 1991 @ Syracuse (vs Syracuse)

Sept 30, 1989 @ Memphis (vs Memphis)

Sept 1, 1984 @ Tampa (vs Miami)

Sept 10, 1983 @ Los Angeles (vs USC)

Sept 20, 1980 @ Atlanta (vs Georgia Tech)

(Source: http://www.gatorzone.com/football/media/2005/pdf/153-159.pdf)

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

There are clearly many similarities between KSU and USF...and I don't think that it is a coincidence that Leavitt is using a similar scheduling model as to what KSU started back in the day when they started to rise.

A key difference between USF and KSU is that KSU had an on campus stadium, and in order to help increase profitability to pay for that stadium, they were scheduling 7 home games per year, and I think 1 year they played 8 home games.  I think I remember reading that they simply would not play OOC road games, period, and because of that, there only road games every year were the conference games.