• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Glimcher puts University Mall on the block

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,654
  • Days Won:  424

Rio Bravo's closing had nothing to do with University Sq. Mall....their parent company filed Chap 11 back in 2003 and shutdown all the Rio Bravos nationwide.

And Longhorn Steakhouse didn't seem to shy about taking over that spot. I wonder how they are doing?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

I like Longhorn, but not the one on Fowler, their service is down right bad, but it is still an odd place for it to be...but then again Benigans seems to be doing ok, so who knows...

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

If USF wants a place to grow this wouldn't be a bad acquisition.

There are also a few universities such as the North Carolina State University that have a "split" campus.

However, I think I remember reading that USF was going to buy or already purchased the land on the corner of Bruce B Downs and Fowler.

Back in the early 1990s when there was talk about bring Tampa General to North Tampa this was the designated site for that relocation and there would have been a bridge connecting the campus.

I think the goal today is to build a research park on that property, but perhaps there could be room for a stadium?

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

I havent read every post on this thread so I'm not sure if its been mentioned already but there is already a road that connects the mall to campus (by the Botanical Gardens), Bullrunner already services the mall, and if you are there during the day the place would be almost completely empty without USF students. Whatever they end up using it for (even adding more classes) I think USF needs to buy the property.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I just think in USF best intrest that we should build it on the land that we already have and put our money into the stadium itself.

You hit the nail on the head there. The long term plan for USF has a stadium to be built on campus. In a post in a different thread I believe the location was to be just East of the business building and immediately South of the Sun Dome. There is plenty of room there for a stadium.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

In a post in a different thread I believe the location was to be just East of the business building and immediately South of the Sun Dome. There is plenty of room there for a stadium.

What about parking? IMO there isn't enough room on that "place holder".

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

I think USF needs to buy the property.

Who is going to pay for it?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  60

I hate to burst your bubble, well, I do enjoy it, but take a closer look at the University Mall.  Mr. Glimcher does not own the land or buildings that are Sears, Burdines or Dillards.  Thus, it cuts the property in half at best.  Now try to buy out those three companies and you can add another $50 million just starting, but first you have to find another location and buy them that as well.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

What about parking? IMO there isn't enough room on that "place holder".

There will be a garage there and there is plenty of other land right around that immediate area that can be turned into parking lots.

Parking will definitely be more spread out than at RJS, but there is nothing wrong with that.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

There will be a garage there and there is plenty of other land right around that immediate area that can be turned into parking lots.

Parking will definitely be more spread out than at RJS, but there is nothing wrong with that.

There will actually be two garages around the Sun Dome according to the plan. Now what will be the size of these garages? We're talking about parking for a football game here. Tailgating inside parking garages... that would be a first. This "place holder" has been discussed twice already (third if you count this one). As one pointed out before, it's USF idea to show that they are planning on having an OCS, hence the "place holder" and not necessarily the actual location of the OCS.

I'm sure you can dig up the posts on the "place holder" topic. Some even included actual stadiums and placed them on top of the “place holderâ€Â… making it clear that room would be very tight.