• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Glimcher puts University Mall on the block

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Offense taken and not appreciated.

USF is next door, so USF is "not in the greatest neighberhood".

So it is ok for minorities from a lower income bracket to play football for your enjoyment as long as you do not have to visit their neighborhood to see them play?

Is "I like poor people and minorities - as long as they do not live next to me" your moto?

Further, the areas surrounding U Mall certainly aren't the "big bad ghetto".

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Is "I like poor people and minorities - as long as they do not live next to me" your moto?

Yes that is my motto, thus I always lived on the side of campus opposite of University Mall.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566

I was told by a police officer in the U Mall, that it is the most vandalized, most often robbed, more carthefts, than any other mall in Hillsborough county and I am sorry if offended anyone. Im going by what the officer said, but my main point is what it will not only cost to purchase the land and the building and then to tear it down to build a stadium would be as much as the stadium itself would cost. why would we do that when we have plenty of land on the NE part of campus. Like someone said, unless it is magically donated to USF then hey, Im for it, I just think in USF best intrest that we should build it on the land that we already have and put our money into the stadium itself. Again though, if the Univ could get ahold of the apartments there by Panera and such and turned them into dorms that would be great, but that would take A LOT of money to do all this, if it is possible it would be a really nice addition to campus, but right now I do not believe we have the resources...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Days Won:  3

USF Stadium fantasies aside...

What could/should be done with the land?

Housing....other commercial ventures (obviously the shopping mall thing isn't working out long term)?

I was told by a police officer in the U Mall, that it is the most vandalized, most often robbed, more carthefts, than any other mall in Hillsborough county

...seriously...of all the shopping venues available in Hillsborough county, and given our propensity to spend locally, it could well be that the demographics of the surrounding neighborhood are not such that the mall can continue.

Just 'cause they're selling...don't mean anyone's buying. And since the mall didn't work, don't expect another to be built - if it is sold - on the same spot.

So whaddya think? What could possibly be put there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

University Mall is full of the trash of the world

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

USF Stadium fantasies aside...

What could/should be done with the land?

So whaddya think? What could possibly be put there.

Joe Redner World - Adult Theme Park

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Make it in to student parking

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

what is really weird about the mall, is that it down right kills any other establishment on that side of fowler avenue.  It is just a weird dichotomy.  That BullPen joint isn't really picking up steam, and the other stores along that way struggle as well.

Rooms to Go move its store down to 56th.  That Circuit City went to New Tampa, and Rio Bravo went bye bye.

Whoever buys that land is DEFINETLY not going to keep that mall.  They are going to mow that thing down.  I have no idea what you do with that land.  The neighborhood kills that area.  Would be a good place for a stadium for sure.

I still like the stadium across the street from the sun dome where the band practices.  Plenty of room over there.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

If that land was to become part of the University, i think the school just becomes too big.  The campus is already gigantic -- no way students could walk or travel all the way over there.  Maybe a new medical college and as stadium would bode well.  How about a law school.  Still can't figure out why USF doesn't have a law school.  Whatever happens -- that is a TON of land.  ALmost too much.

The med school definetly needs an upgrade, and that school is the lynchpin of the University.  I would guess that 70% of the research dollare we get our medical related.

A med school, a law school, and a stadium.

Put it on the Visa baby!..

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

what is really weird about the mall, is that it down right kills any other establishment on that side of fowler avenue.  It is just a weird dichotomy.  That BullPen joint isn't really picking up steam, and the other stores along that way struggle as well.

Rio Bravo went bye bye.

Don't blame the Bull Pen's situation on the mall.....they picked a terrible location.

Rio Bravo's closing had nothing to do with University Sq. Mall....their parent company filed Chap 11 back in 2003 and shutdown all the Rio Bravos nationwide.