• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: USF, UM Finalize Series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I thought there was some talk way back about Penn State asking for another game at happy valley which we declined and there allegedly being talks about a 1 and 1.  Any information?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If we're able to get a 1 and 1 with a school like Oklahoma, Florida, or Ohio State; I'll be estatic.

It was either the Times or the Trib that mentioned a long time back that there were talks of a 1 for 1 with Nebraska or Oklahoma. EIther of those would be awesome.

No way UF would come here for an OOC road game. Ohio St. just signed a 2 for 1 with Cincinnati, so I doubt we could garner a different deal. It would be nice though.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Wait a second, that stadium was packed that night...I talked to a friend of mine that goes to UM and he said that they never have crowds that big unless its UF or FSU, but he said a lot more people come to their night games than their typical day games...

Oh don't tell Joe that...Miami's just playing to the little people.  

UNC's not a powerhouse in football but they're exactly who I want to see us sign home and home series with.  I am not looking to be some stupid program that lines up 1 for none, or 2 for 1's with powerhouse just to get my jollies to say we played those teams.  We've done that already, we're still cycling through some of that crap with Auburn, and UF.  I am glad those are history and a thing of the past.  Miami's deal is the first of it's kind.  Miami has never lined up 2 consecutive 1 and 1 deals with anyone except the big boys.  They've never put one together like this, and it's a wonderful extension to a potential rivalry.  

Give me the Kansas, UNC, Marylands, and NCST's of the world.  Let's sink our teeth in them, make a name for ourselves and then slowly line-up a big 1 and 1 with a big guy here or there.  That Bowden crap about playing anyone, anywhere is so over played, that was a different era, a pre-BCS, when there were over two dozen independent teams.  When power conferences and TV contracts didn't reign supreme.  Now, to play anyone, anywhere you've got to cowtail to them, you've got to bend over for them, and for a BCS program like USF that is just not an option anymore, not one you want to build on at least.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

It was either the Times or the Trib that mentioned a long time back that there were talks of a 1 for 1 with Nebraska or Oklahoma. EIther of those would be awesome.

No way UF would come here for an OOC road game. Ohio St. just signed a 2 for 1 with Cincinnati, so I doubt we could garner a different deal. It would be nice though.

It's Oklahoma, and from my understanding is still in the works.  Which is why some people should just shut-up and let Woolard work.  He'll make it happen, as he's already done with Miami, but on OUR TERMS.  I thought that was the most important part- RIGHT!

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

This whole thing with Miami could brew into a bitter rivalry.  They don't like us.  They were scared we were going to come in after that Louisville game and pound them.  They even had a press conference with the head coach of Miami before the game on espn with him expressing concern over playing USF.  Thats probably why their fans were such jerks to USF fans down there.  They were scared.

this could be huge.

and we benifit off of each other with attendance increases for both teams. :)

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879

UNC's not a powerhouse in football but they're exactly who I want to see us sign home and home series with.  I am not looking to be some stupid program that lines up 1 for none, or 2 for 1's with powerhouse just to get my jollies to say we played those teams.  We've done that already, we're still cycling through some of that crap with Auburn, and UF.  I am glad those are history and a thing of the past.  Miami's deal is the first of it's kind.  Miami has never lined up 2 consecutive 1 and 1 deals with anyone except the big boys.  They've never put one together like this, and it's a wonderful extension to a potential rivalry.  

Give me the Kansas, UNC, Marylands, and NCST's of the world.  Let's sink our teeth in them, make a name for ourselves and then slowly line-up a big 1 and 1 with a big guy here or there.  That Bowden crap about playing anyone, anywhere is so over played, that was a different era, a pre-BCS, when there were over two dozen independent teams.  When power conferences and TV contracts didn't reign supreme.  Now, to play anyone, anywhere you've got to cowtail to them, you've got to bend over for them, and for a BCS program like USF that is just not an option anymore, not one you want to build on at least.

Amen!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

According to their site these are the figures for last years UM attendance

1. USF 58,308

2. Georgia Tech 53,764

3.Colorado 51,228

4.Duke 40,315

5. Virginia 37,629

6. North Carolina 30,618

and in case anybody forgot that big rain deluge right before our game started certaintly didnt help attendance

Those stats certainly don't lie. I think USF travelled well to that game, and the Miami-area USF alumns came out to support their school. Also, I agree that the attendence would have been higher had there not been any rain in the initial stages of the game.

I think it's great that Woolard was able to negotiate another 1-1 with UM. Their fans did talk a lot of smack, but that's all part of football. If we can pull some upsets against UM, then I think we can talk all the smack we want to them. Whenever a Miami fan talked smack about USF, I always retorted with "Have you even attended UM?" I'd laugh in their face whenever they'd respond with a "No, I attend FIU or MDCC." Bottomline, I don't mind going back to the Orange Bowl for another game against the U.

Bien --

You are forgetting to mention that the "Bowden way" of playing anyone anywhere was basically necessary because Florida State was an INDEPENDENT. They did not have any conference games until the early 1990s - and by then Bowden was not playing anyone anywhere.

To be sure, Fresno State has done that - but for the most part they have lost when they played BCS teams.

Personally, I agree that I would love to see the Marylands, Purdues, Kansases, or Ole Misses of the world sign 1 for 1s with USF.  BCS teams in the middle of their conferences would be a good group to have on our plate. Give us some credibility and with wins push us to the top of the Big East.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Thanks for taking my words out of context.  Let me reinterate:

What I said, is we don't have the LEVERAGE as of now to pull in 1 and 1's with most powerhouses in this country.

Miami has shown they will sign 1 and 1's with small schools in the past (who care's if it wasn't back to back, they do it)

At this point winagainst UNC and Kansas give us minimal respect. In my book we should be destroying teams like this. They are bottom feeders in their conferences.

I don't think a 2 for 1 or a 1 shot deal is not bad for the next few season until we can make a footprint in the sand. I'm not saying load up on these deals for our schedule, but a few won't hurt, I'm saying put 2 -3 big boys on there.

It will not hurt our BCS chances because we can still win our conference and we're not getting an at large bid at this point.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Why even taint this thread by bringing up that school to the East? Makes me think that all the criticizing we do of their fans for having a "fixation for USF," is like the pot calling the kettle black, when I see posts like this.

Because they would not stop talking about the stupid 2 for 1 with Texas and that we would not be able to schedule a 1 and 1 with another “great†BCS school... then minutes later, this was posted.

They actually disappeared for a little bit.