• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Hill, #1 going into the Spring

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

QB Hill Will Get His Chance To Start

By BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Jan 19, 2006

TAMPA - When spring football practice begins in two months, there will be one significant change to the University of South Florida's depth chart.

Sophomore-to-be Carlton Hill will begin spring drills listed as the No. 1 quarterback and will be given every opportunity to be USF's starter in the Sept. 2 season opener against McNeese State.

"That means a lot," Hill said. "I love going into the spring [as the starter]. I know I have to work harder so it's not easy for anyone else to get the job."

Hill played sparingly as a freshman and even spent a couple of weeks at wide receiver. He finished his first season having completed 11 of 24 passes for 135 yards and two interceptions, and he rushed for 94 yards on 28 carries.

Hill's inexperience showed in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, when he fumbled on consecutive carries, but his athleticism is unquestioned.

Hill replaces senior-to-be Pat Julmiste, who is 12-11 as a starter in his career. Julmiste threw for 1,489 yards, six TDs and 11 interceptions this season.

The best news for USF is that of this fall's 26 projected starters, 21 will return in 2007, and that doesn't include sophomore FS Danny Verpaele, who started as a freshman in 2004 and missed last season because of an injury.

"We have a lot of guys coming back on defense," said linebacker Stephen Nicholas, who decided to remain at USF for his senior season and wait another year to move on to the NFL. "We'll definitely be as good or better next year."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

good timing on the decision........before signing day.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

No new OC would be my guess.  Good news anyways.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

... and that doesn't include sophomore FS Danny Verpaele, who started as a freshman in 2004 and missed last season because of an injury.

Also, Brant will be a major part at Corner and he missed the season with an injury. Know that Verpaele is fine and could have played, but anyone know about A.J.'s injury status?

BS,

Why is the timing good ? Don't think it would really matter to a recruit.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Wait...this can't be true....smazza said it wouldn't happen....but, smazza said...   :-/

Somebody teach him how to hold a football.

Remember, Denson fumbled early at Penn State and that was returned for a touchdown.

I must say I was impressed with Hill, until the bowl game.  I hope he learns how to hold a football.

Guest Sprtsfn627

For some reason, it happens a decent amount....you still see guys hold the ball like that in the pros.  And while it should NEVER be done, it seems to happen anyways.  

He should be ok if they work with him on it.  Remember...he's only a freshman.

Guest rueben_horowitz

Sweet...Anyone but PJ.

Hope we run some options with Hill. We have so much speed, why are we running this 5 wide b.s. all the time?

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

Somebody teach him how to hold a football.

Remember, Denson fumbled early at Penn State and that was returned for a touchdown.

I must say I was impressed with Hill, until the bowl game.  I hope he learns how to hold a football.

The answer is SUPER GLUE...... ;D

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

i wonder if PJ is going to change positions