• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Hill, #1 going into the Spring

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

That’s a little harsh. You have to remember he was a freshmen and it’s a little much to ask a freshmen who has had limited playing time at QB to come in during the schools biggest game to date and take over the game when the game is halfway threw. From what I saw C4 was just trying to do too much.

Well said.  Unfortunately this fumble / benching method of building a QB's confidence has become a norm for Rod Smith.  See PJ's first game time in `03 when the ball was snapped over his head and he was summarily benched until Banks screwed up even worse.  

Denson fumbles in his first start against the best D in the nation in front of 100,000 and he's benched.  This similar series of events is now in the process with C Hill.  (see the Car Care Bowl).  I certainly hope he fares better under this "system" I call the Rod Smith QB Railroad.  

I still think Pat could have been a good-enough QB. Not great, not wonderful, not even good, but good-enough.  The problem lies at the position coach (who's also the O coordinator).  Pat's #1 problem was coaching calls not tailored to his strengths.  Unfortunately more often than not, the play selections appeared tailored to underscore his weaknesses.  Pat's #2 problem; sloppy throwing technique.  This is something the QB coach should have remedied over the last 1-1/2 years.  Rod Smith is at least over his head, if not drowned allready.    

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

Simply put. That is excellent news.

Dang cold with hell freezing over  ;D

Happy ... that your happy  8)

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

The past 3 QB's have floundered in this system.  Instead of namecalling, please tell me why Hill should be any different?  

As far as "most other college programs running the spread" huh?!  Link?  The other programs that run the spread have the PERSONNELL to run it. WE DONT.   Maybe you should go run our offense.  Sounds like you and RS are thinking along the same lines.  

Look at every time we put PJ with no running back last season, almost allways guaranteed a success for the other team.  Yet we won't get away from the "spread-option"?  

Like I said, Rod has found the ability to make QB's look bad.  

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Anyone but PJ. 6 TD's on a season is completely unacceptable no matter what type of offense we are running.

If PJ switches positions it should be to Left Out

Guest Ari Hinkelberger

I have always said that we need a JuCo transfer.  I dont' think Hill is that good either.  Seems to be a little ghettoish.  his perfomance in the bowl was pitiful.  

PJ needs to just quit.  Without a doubt the worst QB I have ever seen.  Just downright awful.  He is the reason our offence sucks.  Tough to run an offense that is predictable when you have a QB who can't comlete more then 10 passes a game.

This year he barely completed 50% of his passes and had a TD to INT ratio of like 13 Ints for 6 Td passes.  AWFUL!

Why can't we find a seasoned JuCo transfer.  There has to be one out there.  A-Hall came from the JuCo ranks.  We could really benefit from a decent passer.  I think Ricky POnton is fantastic -- if we could just get a QB to keep the defense honest -- we will be really good next year.

ari hinkelberger

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

The spread requires a QB with a good arm who can run Banks had a canon for a arm but no legs, PJ had the legs , never used them, and a below average arm. Now C4 has a good arm and the kid can run

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

PJ has no arm.

Guest ari hinkelberger

I guess the jury is still out on HIll.  I know PJ is not the answer.  Unlike some on this board, I don't blame rod smith for our lackluster offense.  You can only play the hand you are dealt and Rod Smith was dealt a 2 - 5 off suit when it came QB.

I hope hill is the answer.  I wish we could find a seasoned JuCo Transfer though.

Ari Hinkelberger

Guest rueben_horowitz
 You can only play the hand you are dealt and Rod Smith was dealt a 2 - 5 off suit when it came QB.

I hope hill is the answer.  I wish we could find a seasoned JuCo Transfer though.

Ari Hinkelberger

This poker analogy is coming from the worst poker player in the history of man...Ari "I'm all in before the flop" Stinkelberger played twice last week, and was out w/i the first three hands both times. I think he got beat by a pair of 2's once, and a pair of 7's the second time...lol, worst poker player ever.

Rabbi Rueb ~ Someone needs to develop Hill into a good QB.