• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Baseball Tourn. to be Held in Clearwater

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

BIG EAST Baseball Tournament To Be Held at Bright House Network Field In Clearwater, Fla.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (January 17, 2005) – The BIG EAST Conference, in conjunction with Minor League Baseball’s Clearwater Threshers, announced Tuesday that the 2006 BIG EAST Conference Baseball Championship will be held at Bright House Networks Field in Clearwater, Fla. Bright House Networks Field is the Spring Training home of Major League Baseball’s Philadelphia Phillies and is also home to the Clearwater Threshers – the Philadelphia Phillies’ Class A Affiliate. The 2006 BIG EAST Baseball Championship will take place on May 23-28.  

The BIG EAST increased its baseball membership to 12 teams in 2006 with the addition of the University of Cincinnati, University of Louisville and University of South Florida. The league’s top eight teams based on regular-season finish in the conference standings will qualify for the double-elimination event. The tournament champion receives the league’s automatic bid to the 2006 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.  

"The BIG EAST Conference is extremely excited to be bringing its 2006 Baseball Championship to the beautiful city of Clearwater and to a state-of-the-art facility like Bright House Networks Field," BIG EAST Commissioner Michael Tranghese said. "We are looking forward to our association with the Clearwater Threshers and with an outstanding organization like the Philadelphia Phillies.”

In its first season as a member of the BIG EAST, USF will serve as host institution for the event.  

Bright House Networks Field, which opened its doors in 2004, is a fan-friendly ballpark with a capacity of 8,500. The ballpark distinguishes itself with a 360-degree main concourse, grass berm seating, and a tiki-hut pavilion in left field. The stadium also includes group picnic areas, a children’s play area, and a state-of-the-art video scoreboard.

“The Phillies organization is proud to be associated with the quality programs that represent the BIG EAST Conference,” Director of Operations for the Phillies and Threshers John Timberlake said. “We look forward to showcasing not only our outstanding facilities, but the City of Clearwater and its beautiful island beaches.”

The selection of Clearwater and Bright House Networks Field as the site of the 2006 BIG EAST Baseball Championship was made by the BIG EAST Championship and Competition Committee (CCC), which is empowered by all 16 athletic directors to take action on Olympic sport matters.

The BIG EAST Baseball Championship had been held at Commerce Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater, N.J. – home of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball’s Somerset Patriots – for the last six years.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Sweet..............

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Sweet, I heard about the possibility a month or so ago, and am now stoked to hear this.  The really cool thing is I work at Bright House Networks Field so I can see the games after I'm done at work.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

That is great news to hear. I never been to that new ball park, but I have heard from many that the ball park is pretty awesome. I personally want to go to hang out at the Frenchy's Tiki Bar in left field. This event should be a good place to schedule a Bull Backers meeting so that everyone can catch the Bulls play baseball while drinking down those drinks in leftfield.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like a great time. Drinking beer and watching baseball in great weather. And supporting our Bulls.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

the ballpark is unbelieveable....maybe a Bullspen meet-up can be set up there, I know I'll be there as much as possible for the tourney

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I agree, great ballpark.  As a Phillies fan, I hit that place a few times during Spring Training, and its awesome.  Should be a great tourney.  Some good teams in the Big East.  St. John's, Notre Dame, and USF all normally have solid teams.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I might just take the weekend and fly out there... beaches, baseball, and beer... what a combo!