• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NIT announces changes to tournament selection format

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

WWW.NCAA.ORG

The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify.

The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify.

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular-season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.  

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. Additional teams from the six conferences with automatic qualifications are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,405
  • Days Won:  5

BS Rules

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  666
  • Days Won:  0

LMAO wow. How cringe worthy. Pardon my crudeness but it's a straight up circle jerk. Geeze, well we will only pick 12 from the almighty conferences and then most likely the rest from (checks notes) oh the almighty P6.

Anyways again, this is all the same we've been saying the haves vs have nots. Nothing new but frustrating.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

This is ridiculously old news.  How many threads about this do we need?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Who was worried about slumming it in the nit before today?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

6gdvsn.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  1

Just read a tweet from Darek Sharp where he suggested we might be in, and unfortunately traveling to C to play them on their home court.  I would have thought that we would have hosted them, but this is a topsy turvy season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

21 minutes ago, Bullumni said:

Just read a tweet from Darek Sharp where he suggested we might be in, and unfortunately traveling to C to play them on their home court.  I would have thought that we would have hosted them, but this is a topsy turvy season.

That's the new rules.  We would be hosting them in the old days, but they'll get an auto qualify home game as the number 2 team from a P6 conference.  "Power" will always come back to haunt us until we're in the club.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Bullumni said:

Is C a decent team this year? 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

In other words, they want Memphis in and not USF.