• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl projections - Week 11

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,569
  • Days Won:  28

11 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

Yes, 12 teams get in starting next year. I guess if 13 teams go undefeated and win their conference there might be an issue still.

With how the portal is going, there will be much more parity in CFB. I doubt we will ever see more than 4-5 teams undefeated teams moving forward. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

I am assuming that the Tulane loss/Committee's bad call on G5 Champion cost us the Fenway Bowl.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

I think Capital One must have asked the CFP members: "What's in your wallet?"

Who's in your wallet may be closer.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

The new playoff format has a spot for "up" to two G6 teams. 

It's at least 6-6 (top 6 champs and 6 at large) for 2 years.  After that is dependent on what the Pac does, could go to a 5-7 model (Top 5 conference champs plus 7 at large)

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

I thought they were already discussing the 5-7 model for next season since the PAC 12 is no more.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,621
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, John Lewis said:

I thought they were already discussing the 5-7 model for next season since the PAC 12 is no more.

Some people think 2pac is still alive so for now the pac2 isn't dead yet... wazzou and Oregon state should come out blasting 2pac changed all game at their bowl games and every game next season.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, John Lewis said:

I believe it was said they need unanimous decision to change the format for the next two years, but after that its simple majority.  Things may have changed, but that's the last I heard. 

I did a quick search and all I was able to find is that they may push for a 5-7 model as of early November 2023 articles.  I couldn't find anything definitive.  This one had a good full synopsis.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

With decisions to be made on an expansion format, a new CFP director, revenue sharing and a new TV deal, there's plenty at stake as college football's power brokers...

Expansion format

Current: The CFP executive board of presidents approved last fall to expand the four-team playoff to 12 teams, adopting a “6+6” format that grants automatic qualifiers to the six highest-ranked conference champions and at-large berths to the next six highest-ranked teams. Only conference champions are eligible for a first-round bye as top-four seeds. Seeds 5-8 host first-round games on campus. A rotation of six bowls host quarterfinals and semifinals.

The new format will begin with next season’s playoff.

Change coming: Commissioners created the 6+6 format based around there being 10 FBS conferences (five Power Five conferences). That’s no longer the case after the Pac-12’s collapse. There is momentum to reduce the number of automatic qualifiers from six to five and increase the number of at-large berths from six to seven — a 5+7 format change. With nine leagues — four power leagues — a 6+6 format would grant access to a second Group of Five conference champion, potentially one that is outside of the top 25. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said the playoff system, which he helped create, cannot “justify” such a thing. However, there may be complications in a change.

The debate: A change in the format (before the current contract runs out in 2025) must be a unanimous decision among the 11 members of the CFP board. That’s where things get tricky. The Pac-12, despite the league dropping to two members next year, retains its voting privileges. Any format change to 5+7 comes with a likely move to rule the Pac-12 champion — either Oregon State or Washington State — ineligible to receive an automatic qualifier as a conference champion. Will the league stand in the way? There is another hurdle as well. American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco and AAC leaders want the 6+6 format to remain for the final two years of the CFP contract, which runs through the 2025 playoff. However, in interviews with Yahoo Sports, Aresco has said he is open to agreeing to an immediate format change as long as the Group of Five is guaranteed an automatic spot in the CFP in the long term. Remember, the CFP’s existence spans just three more playoffs. There is no binding agreement after the 2025 season for both a playoff format and a television contract, which we’ll get to later.

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Since we’re discussing bowl projections, I’m going with the Gasparilla Bowl being played at the USF Stadium in 2028. Only one game in its history would not have fit in our OCS.

BOOK IT!