• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hurricane Preparation List

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,529
  • Days Won:  28

I've been in over 7 Hurricanes. Even though I no longer live in a Hurricane zone this is my preparation list. Feel free to add to it. 

1. Get packing tape and tape up your windows. Especially if you live in an apt. It reinforces the strength of the window and should it break it keeps a bunch of glass from flying all over the place. Make a british flag with the tape. The one time i didnt do it the wind blew in my window. The weather channel says it doesnt work but i do it anyways.
2. Dollar tree glow sticks - Light up a room for a few hours and no battery needed. Dollar tree should still have some left. Of course if you can get a flashlight even better, but get both. 
3. CLEAN all of your sinks and bathtubs and fill them up with water. In 2 of my lifetime hurricane experiences, I had no water for over week. That s**** sucked! Fill up all of your tubs and sinks and you will have water to wash ur a$$. 
4. Fill up your car with gas.
5. Throw all of your meat in the freezer. set your fridge to the coldest temperature. In case the power runs out the colder your food is the better. If it freezes even better
6. A small gas or charcoal grill is helpful if you dont have one.
7. bread, peanut butter and jelly 😁

8. Get rid of loose items in your yard and front yard.

This may seem like a lot and you probably won't need to do it all, but better safe than sorry. Feel free to add to this list. Be safe my fellow Bulls. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,427
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I've been in over 7 Hurricanes. Even though I no longer live in a Hurricane zone this is my preparation list. Feel free to add to it. 

1. Get packing tape and tape up your windows. Especially if you live in an apt. It reinforces the strength of the window and should it break it keeps a bunch of glass from flying all over the place. Make a british flag with the tape. The one time i didnt do it the wind blew in my window. The weather channel says it doesnt work but i do it anyways.
2. Dollar tree glow sticks - Light up a room for a few hours and no battery needed. Dollar tree should still have some left. Of course if you can get a flashlight even better, but get both. 
3. CLEAN all of your sinks and bathtubs and fill them up with water. In 2 of my lifetime hurricane experiences, I had no water for over week. That s**** sucked! Fill up all of your tubs and sinks and you will have water to wash ur a$$. 
4. Fill up your car with gas.
5. Throw all of your meat in the freezer. set your fridge to the coldest temperature. In case the power runs out the colder your food is the better. If it freezes even better
6. A small gas or charcoal grill is helpful if you dont have one.
7. bread, peanut butter and jelly 😁

8. Get rid of loose items in your yard and front yard.

This may seem like a lot and you probably won't need to do it all, but better safe than sorry. Feel free to add to this list. Be safe my fellow Bulls. 

You forgot the most important part beer and alcohol.  Every true Floridian loves a good hurricane party before the storm arrives.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

You forgot the most important part beer and alcohol.  Every true Floridian loves a good hurricane party before the storm arrives.

That should have already been in stock for the game on saturday lol

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

I am tempting fate this time around. Not putting up the hurricane shutters. Just too worn out. Have a whole house generator and plenty of liquor. Our biggest concern is my wife's appt Wed morning with a foot surgeon. Have waited over a month to get to see this guy and now this happens. Can't freaking believe it. They'll wait until the 11am storm track Tuesday before they decide on Wed schedule. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

. . . 1. Get packing tape and tape up your windows. Especially if you live in an apt. It reinforces the strength of the window and should it break it keeps a bunch of glass from flying all over the place. Make a british flag with the tape. The one time i didnt do it the wind blew in my window. The weather channel says it doesnt work but i do it anyways. . . 

The general reason not to do this is that when your windows do break (the tape is non-structural) you could possibly have larger pieces of glass flying at you

The easiest way to protect against this eventuality is to write Matt Floyd’s name on the tape and wear a USF jersey with a number in the 80s - this should ensure that no glass comes anywhere near you😁

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I am tempting fate this time around. Not putting up the hurricane shutters. Just too worn out. Have a whole house generator and plenty of liquor. Our biggest concern is my wife's appt Wed morning with a foot surgeon. Have waited over a month to get to see this guy and now this happens. Can't freaking believe it. They'll wait until the 11am storm track Tuesday before they decide on Wed schedule. 

I am doing the same unless I see a drastic turn east in the morning.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

I lost power across the street from USF for over a week during the Hurricane Charlie fun fest.  Then we went inland to Lakeland and were hit by another hurricane there and lost power.  Then I went back to my apt at USF and sat in the humid funk for days.

Good times!

Edited by Rocky Style

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I am doing the same unless I see a drastic turn east in the morning.

I've got to have a biopsy again on the nose tomorrow so f it if turns east. About ready to throw in the towel. Past 7 months have worn me down.

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

I lost power across the street from USF for over a week during the Hurricane Charlie fun fest.  Then we went inland to Lakeland and were hit by another hurricane there and lost power.  Then I went back to my apt at USF and sat in the humid funk for days.

Good times!

Yeah we got hit by all 3 in Winter Haven and Lake Wales side of Polk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

The general reason not to do this is that when your windows do break (the tape is non-structural) you could possibly have larger pieces of glass flying at you

The easiest way to protect against this eventuality is to write Matt Floyd’s name on the tape and wear a USF jersey with a number in the 80s - this should ensure that no glass comes anywhere near you😁

lol Matt Floyd almost made me hate Penn State.  Ill take my chances on larger pieces than a bunch of small pieces flying all over the place. Plus its easier to clean. Like i said ive watched an untaped window break from wind pressure and saw my living room get rained on. I feel the tape would have prevented it.